Hero in progress

Open contemplation, get involved if you dare!

24 posts in this topic

@OneLittleHumanMind

You brought up some interesting points.

1. The self-mind is always future oriented,  its function seems to be a constant projecting into possible threat or dissolution. I can spot this in my self as well.

2. The fusion between imagination and perception (example- conceptual image of moving face, body ect) it may be the case that in a social world we need these kind of subjective feedback images to inform us during our interactions with others. If we didn't have some sort of feedback about when we smile, frown, and all the subtle facial cues that are valid during our social interactions we wouldn't be able to interact as effectively? Really all the self images and subjective feedback can all be boiled down to the term "self conscious"  ever noticed when your deeply ingrossed in a entertaining movie not much of that feedback is obvious, now contrast that with walking into a room full of strangers looking at you and the "Self consciousness" is abundant! Interesting.

What do you want to enquire into next?

@Hero in progress

Good points.

I was concentrating on one topic just a moment ago, and it led to a couple of insights. Still this one question remains: Why is it so special to obtain close relationships with "others"? (I assume that you are in a state where you need others at least a little bit, or imagine that you were). Regarding this, it also seems that we want to be liked and thought of by our intimates. What causes this?

The first one can be explained in my experience. The feeling of being close to somebody, physically or mentally, is to feel the I. Somehow the I tends to be clearer projected by someone "else", and it feels more complete so. Though I have the absolute sense of my essential being, it needs its projection by other beings intermittently. Maybe I'm so inexperienced yet, but still I feel, that there is something very special when two beings meet as one.

@OneLittleHumanMindI

If u look into your conscious experience that is made up of thoughts, emotions and perceptions. You will see that although the self "appears" to be a isolated and separate entity harbouring a existence all on its own, a second look may well reveal that the self experience is entirely depentant on other. Not only to know were it sits in relation to others but also to exist!

Peter Ralston gave the analogy that by  drawing a circle simultaneously you create the inside of the circle and the outside. By defining self you also define not self. 

Now there is nothing wrong with intimate relationships and by becoming more conscious in a social context you may well find yourself being able to be much more effective, honest, authentic and genuine in your relationships. Without needing to manipulate others minds in seeing you the way you desire or giving a front or adopting a inauthentic persona. After investigation it becomes clear that as a self in a social context we tend to be dishonest in some areas, hide aspects of ourselves or promote the perceived strengths of oneself to get approval. This  may seem like a fruitful endeavor at first glance but is actually a prison.

Because we are social animals a large part of ours energies go into obsessing over other peoples perception of us. Whether we care to admit it or not our "collective mind" is very much concerned with others "view" of us. This of course relates to our social survival and is a strong force but not impossible to transend.

Comparing, contrasting and competing are a  part of this social context in our culture. And so collective ways of thinking, values, beliefs and assumptions are as if inherited from the moment we start being raised in this world. That's why we need to question everything from scratch in order to start to make sense of this reality in a accurate way. 

What do u think?