rush

What makes meditation sloppy/effective?

9 posts in this topic

From what I see on this forum, results from meditation vary greatly, so what makes a good meditation session ? How do you know when to change technique and what do you specifically do ? I want to maximize the 25-30 mins I set a side to do this important habbit. 

There's only one thing, really: consciousness.

Are you actually being conscious while you're meditating? How conscious?

• If you're thinking, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're falling asleep, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're lost in a day dream, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're mechanically executing a technique some guru gave you, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're whining and bitching and moaning about having to meditate, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're waiting for the timer to ring, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're eagerly sitting there waiting for enlightenment to strike, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're bored, you're not being conscious.
  • If you're suffering and struggling and ready to quit, you're not being conscious.

Just pick one technique and go with it for at least a month. Then evaluate your progress. Don't evaluate your progress daily, but monthly.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you're thinking, you're not being conscious.

Isn't it possible to be conscious if one is not engaged with the thoughts? At times during meditation there is brain activity and thoughts. Yet, there is also immune system activity, cardiovascular activity, a dog barking outside activity etc. There are times during meditation where there seems to be consciousness and thoughts are just another thing in the present moment. In this realm, it would seem the same as saying "If a dog is barking, you're not being conscious". 

Edited by Serotoninluv

6 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Isn't it possible to be conscious if one is not engaged with the thoughts? At times during meditation there is brain activity and thoughts. Yet, there is also immune system activity, cardiovascular activity, a dog barking outside activity etc. There are times during meditation where there seems to be consciousness and thoughts are just another thing in the present moment. In this realm, it would seem the same as saying "If a dog is barking, you're not being conscious". 

Perhaps if you are "stuck" considering that the dog is barking as opposed to simply experiencing the sensation as it hits you, you would be thinking "The dog is barking" and it would cloud your consciousness.  

@Serotoninluv You can also be conscious while sleeping. But let's start with the basics.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Isn’t meditation an all day affair? 

To inquire scrupulously from moment to moment.To have a religious mind. A quiet mind. 

Good question. I think meditation becomes sloppy when you don't really want to do it. And it's effective, when you are motivated. Of course, it's hard to be super motivated every day, so there will be many sloppy sessions, but those are important too. I wouldn't call them "sloppy". I think that's a way a perfectionist talks, and perfectionists don't get anywhere.

You know when to change a technique when a certain technique appeals to you, or when you try it and think, "yes, I love this technique!" Then keep doing it for a while, like Leo said.

You will know what to do by doing it and learning from experience.

I wouldn't think about "maximizing" too much. You should respect yourself and go at your own pace, whatever it may be. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to do it for very long.

(I've been meditating for five years, by the way.)

Doing it with a goal

Doing it when you're sleepy

Doing it mechanically

Thinking you're doing something

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I fell heavy in the mechanical trap.

Did it everyday but I did it without consciously attending to it. Then When I noticed it after like 3 months started investegating more and the session went better again. Because you're really paying attention  when trying different things and looking how it affects the body and mind.