Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anirban657

Meditation alternatives for psychosis prone individuals

13 posts in this topic

First of all I think this is a pretty important topic to discuss- meditating induced psychosis.

psychosis: a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Symptoms like: hallucinations, voices in the head, constant terror, insomnia, breaking down of the mind, extreme stress and worry are common in this case.

I already had 2 episodes of meditation induced psychosis.

After contemplating for a bit: I think meditation for people with anxiety and narcissistic disorders increases anxiety and negative thoughts especially for adolescents. And meditation is something that may help them reduce anxiety only if done is very tiny blocks per day. Maybe the anxiety increases because they don't do the meditation with proper guidance or knowledge. Maybe it's because they are not able to let go to their need to know.  Maybe it's because they are just over stress in daily life. Maybe it's because they are not yet ready to sit down and stop thinking. Or maybe it's because they are still thinking like a victim.

But meditation induced psychosis is real. It is terrifying. 

Maybe doing meditation with yoga or playing sports or other relaxing habits may make it possible to meditate normally. Maybe only after being more conscious of the truth about psychosis, one can start meditating again with care. And I believe meditation helps to calm the mind but not in specific cases like psychosis. There must be some other way to calm the mind and increase happiness.

So please suggest your views and advice on how can one replace meditation with some similar activities. 

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

42 minutes ago, Anirban657 said:

hallucinations, voices in the head, constant terror, insomnia, breaking down of the mind, extreme stress and worry are common in this case.

This is typical dark night of the soul stuff and is unavoidable for serious progress.

already had 2 episodes of meditation induced psychosis.

Congratulations on your progress!

I think meditation for people with anxiety and narcissistic disorders increases anxiety and negative thoughts

The rule is: It gets worse before it gets better... Always.
Are you willing to swallow the "worse" period? That is the question.

But meditation induced psychosis is real. It is terrifying. 

Damn right it is. Im sorry for your pain. May you be blessed with joy bliss extasy and love.

The rule of the thumb is that noone who achieved full enlightenment is gonna tell you:
"Oh I felt ok for a long period of time and then I gont enlightened."
Hell no!
Its more like "Yeah I felt terror, was pretty sure I was insane for a few years, I could barely function and then my redemption dawned."

The human unconsciousness is real. The human pain is real. Very real. 
There is only one question. Are you willing to take it?

Edited by Martin123

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

@Anirban657  Martin outlined some great points. I would add meditation with alfa and theta brainwaves, because neuroticism and psychosis I think is related to too much beta brainwaves in the brain which amplify the sense of ego. I have a playlist in my guide if you want to experiment. (link below).

10 hours ago, Martin123 said:
10 hours ago, Anirban657 said:

already had 2 episodes of meditation induced psychosis.

Congratulations on your progress!

Then please tell me how to deal with the next psychosis. The 3rd seems to be coming soon in a week (seriously). Have some mercy and please tell me. At least tell me which books on meditation to read.@AleksM @Martin123

Weight 85kg

Height @Outer 5ft 6in

@Anirban657 I have had several "psychotic episodes" throughout my meditation journey. Treat psychosis as an object of investigation. Be very open and curious about what is happening to you while in a psychotic state. Try to enjoy it. Be masochistic. Don't let your mind tell you that it is wrong to be "crazy."  Be loving and accepting towards your psychotic self. :D

Edited by onacloudynight

Keep it practical: can you take some medication if the situation is too severe or try some supplements like Niacin (B3) or CBD-Oil which both also can have an antipsychotic effect?
Meditation as well as Yoga or Tai Chi... usually is designed to open things up which might be too overwhelming sometimes. You could instead just do exercises that ground you and deal with the lower chakras. Being in nature could help, being with animals or with conscious human beings can help. Even working simple, preferably physical tasks can help (in monasteries when monks did have some kind of psychotic symptoms, is was even advised not to meditate but to go to the garden and work instead for some time in the garden or something until the system calms down). In addition also don't try to escape. Be present with whatever comes up or the situation is but also don't force to overwhelm you.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Keep it practical: can you take some medication if the situation is too severe or try some supplements like Niacin (B3) or CBD-Oil which both also can have an antipsychotic effect?
Meditation as well as Yoga or Tai Chi... usually is designed to open things up which might be too overwhelming sometimes. You could instead just do exercises that ground you and deal with the lower chakras. Being in nature could help, being with animals or with conscious human beings can help. Even working simple, preferably physical tasks can help (in monasteries when monks did have some kind of psychotic symptoms, is was even advised not to meditate but to go to the garden and work instead for some time in the garden or something until the system calms down). In addition also don't try to escape. Be present with whatever comes up or the situation is but also don't force to overwhelm you.

Thanks. I was told by my psychiatrist not to meditate ever since I already had 2 psychosis experiences. But I continued meditation because my psychology went back to serene. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with anxiety disorder and gave me nexito 10 as medication. 

Now I wish my psychiatrist could have given me some antipsychotic medication.

@Toby @onacloudynight @Outer

Edited by Anirban657

3 hours ago, Anirban657 said:

antipsychotic medication

Please be cery careful about that.

If your mind is driving you too crazy maybe stop meditating for a while.

psychotic symptoms are generally an invitation to take it easy, and start integrating, shile loving yourself like never before.

Let love be the answer to every single of your unpleasant thoughts, may “I love you”, be an invitation of your heart for the mind to trust once again.

May respect for your shadow arise in you. 

When I first had a psychotic episode, I went to therapy. I found an excellent therapist who helped me. The reason why it worked was nothing other than the opportunity to express my darkest thoughts in a non-judgemental environment. It allowed my shadow to trust that its integration isnt doom’s day.

Work with your shadow, talk to it like you would to a child. Be honest, respect it, allow it to say all it has to say. No matter how scary it can get.

May you be blessed with peace.

Psychosis is not just believing in normal thoughts, but in extreme thoughts, but it's both just believing in thoughts.

Caused by a sense of fear through negative indoctrination/trauma (often related to the mystical/God), or because one wants to belief more special thoughts about him because he or she feels also scared and inferior.

So it's not such a big deal if you understand to not belief in your thoughts, it should end it all very quickly actually.

6 hours ago, Anirban657 said:

which books

Whatever arises, love that - Matt Kahn.