Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

Zen Master goes to a therapist

14 posts in this topic

I remember shinzen young saying that he went to a therapist recently despite having become enlightened long time ago and has been doing zen meditation and contemplation for decades. Why does he still suffer from the mind? Is emotional mastery really possible? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise
You can be self-realized but still have tons of crap on your mind. The one has basically nothing to do with the other, but I guess after being self-realized it should be easier to purge trough all that crap, hopefully.

9 minutes ago, LaucherJunge said:

@How to be wise
You can be self-realized but still have tons of crap on your mind. The one has basically nothing to do with the other, but I guess after being self-realized it should be easier to purge trough all that crap, hopefully.

I understand that enlightenment isn't enough for emotional mastery. But this guy has been doing serious consciousness work for basically his whole life. It kind of demotivates me from carrying on this work.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise You also don't know what his reasons for going to a therapist were. People don't always go to them for significantly negative mental problems. Sometimes they go to help then with interpersonal skills or issues, for example. Don't jump the gun on concluding what it means when you don't have the details

@How to be wise He went to a psychiatrist to solve procrastination issues. He wasn't 'suffering', just needed help to change his behavior. Enlightenment doesn't make your behavior 'perfect'.

11 minutes ago, Toby said:

Is there a link or video where he says that?

Don't remember the video, but he definitely say something alongs those lines.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Toby I cant link it for some reason, but it's called "After enlightenment, what's left, what's the point?" at around 3:50

12 minutes ago, Echoes said:

@Toby I cant link it for some reason, but it's called "After enlightenment, what's left, what's the point?" at around 3:50

I-Love-You-This-Much-No-Lie-Funny-Love-M

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Not identifying with ego doesn't mean there's no more negative ego

But yes, it's possible, it may be a good idea to see some of these people in real life and get to know them

Or David Spero is a good example in my opinion that demonstrates this well on video

It could take years to incorporate seeing/being the no-self (enlightenment) into one's everyday life. After "experiencing the no-self," the person is still embodied. Embodiment means one still has to deal with the ego. Mastery of dropping the ego on a daily basis may take time. It won't be perfect.

Shinzen Young explains it in each one of these traps. Life, the journey, continues.