Ascend

Has anyone completely healed their anxiety?

42 posts in this topic

On 26.11.2017 at 6:37 AM, Ascend said:

If so, can you share what worked and your experiences.

In 2015 I got serious panic attacks for the first time in my life because I was a workaholic and suffered a burnout.

During my first panic attack I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. I had 190bpm, irregular heartbeat, nausea and pain in my left arm. I had to stay at the heart department in the hospital until they figured out it was "just anxiety". I had terrible panic attacks for weeks after this episode. I remember having a looped panic attack for five hours, I would vomit and faint. I developed anticipation anxiety. I was afraid of everything, because I feared it would trigger panic attacks. I was afraid of eating, going outside of my room and I was extremely scared of sleeping/falling asleep. Falling asleep felt like dying. 

I was so scared and anxious that I had to be locked up at a psych ward. Lost my job, pretty much everything.

Professional psychiatric help was my solution. I got a really good therapist who helped me through all of it in 3 months. I also took some meds for my sleep during this period (25mg seroquel).

Today I'm completely fine and not on any form of meds whatsoever. I'll experience anxiety to some degree if I don't look after my sleep schedual, but I don't really have any trouble handling anxiety anymore. I just had to learn through experience that you don't have to fear the fear. Just observe it with curiosity, and it will pass. It was my resistance to the fear and anxiety which made it worse. 

Anxiety seems to vanish once you face and completely surrender to whatever is making you anxious.

B R E A T H E

@solr  Wow that sounds like a good success story. Thanks for sharing. What do you think the most important aspect of your betterment was? Have you tried exercise for it as well.

@pluto  Well yeah, but it's easier said than done. You can argue that surrendering is all ever one needs to do, but it can be difficult.

We have a tendency to tell ourselves all kinds of horrific stories in our minds about what might be coming up in the future, imminent and further down the line.

It's fruitless speculation like 100% of the time and it terrifies us stiff. I used to have bad anxiety in 2014 to the extent that I didn't really leave the house out of fear. Things worked out for me eventually, my mind doesn't trouble me nearly as much nowdays.  Exercise,Meditation and trying to reduce avoidance of triggers helped me a lot. It's rough and everyone has to deal with their own unique life situation, but stay hopeful, be kind to yourself and have patience. Liberation from your woes certainly isn't out of the question. ?

Edited by Nathan

On 5.1.2018 at 6:27 PM, Ascend said:

@solr  Wow that sounds like a good success story. Thanks for sharing. What do you think the most important aspect of your betterment was? Have you tried exercise for it as well.

The most important aspect was getting professional treatment very early. I think completely healing from anxiety gets harder when the behavioral pattern marinates over time. It's not impossible though. I completely agree with @pluto - One has to completely surrender to it. Observe it and learn through experience that there's nothing dangerous going on. It's a difficult task, but it's not impossible.

My psychiatrist made me do this exercise where I were to list all of my sensations, thoughts and feelings in the middle of a panic attack. Not to judge or create aversions, but simply to observe. Be curious. Be a detective so to speak. It helped to some degree. 

Edited by solr

On 11/28/2017 at 3:06 AM, Nahm said:

@Ascend 4 different anxiety / depression pills at once and was around 60 pounds overweight at one point. Now, I don’t even really remember that. It feels like someone else’s past. I credit trying pills & therapists, a ton of anger & resentment towards everything, then getting sick of nothing working and realizing I had to do something about it myself, then meditation, exercise, healthy eating, and Leo fuckin with me about free will. ????

@ajasatya I’m glad you clarified ‘not to exercise’. I was going to ask. ❤️?

Are you enlightened? Or did you recover before enligjtenment? Eckhart Tolle says, only with enlightenment you can recover.

You can go from constant fear of judgment to 0 fuck given in less than 2 years.

It all depends on your motivation.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

9 hours ago, Shin said:

You can go from constant fear of judgment to 0 fuck given in less than 2 years.

It all depends on your motivation.

But people say, you can feel full only after enlightenment.

6 hours ago, Buba said:

But people say, you can feel full only after enlightenment.

People will say anything to avoid pain.

God is love

And God in them

8 minutes ago, Shin said:

People will say anything to avoid pain.

Like Eckhart Tolle?

1 minute ago, Buba said:

Like Eckhart Tolle?

Then I either must be deceiving myself or he's wrong.

Most likely the first case xD

God is love

And God in them

@ajasatya I've had this intuition that at some point in my life I want to spend time in a (zen) monastery, hell, maybe this hints towards my life purpose, who knows.

Could you help me with some advice and words as to where you found a zen monastery to stay in and if I'd have to travel to Japan or Asia to do so?

Thanks

@Shin I do:

• Shadow work
  • Meditation and self-inquiry
  • Pushing my comfort zone and talking to people
  • Being mindful throughout the day

Is there anything else I should add to this list? I'm highly motivated

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

2 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@ajasatya I've had this intuition that at some point in my life I want to spend time in a (zen) monastery, hell, maybe this hints towards my life purpose, who knows.

Could you help me with some advice and words as to where you found a zen monastery to stay in and if I'd have to travel to Japan or Asia to do so?

Thanks

@Shin I do:

• Shadow work
  • Meditation and self-inquiry
  • Pushing my comfort zone and talking to people
  • Being mindful throughout the day

Is there anything else I should add to this list? I'm highly motivated

Add NoFap and you're all set.

God is love

And God in them

1 hour ago, Max_V said:

get in touch with zen practitioners near you. are there zen centers?

i live in brazil, but i only got to know about monasteries and such because i started practicing zazen in a sangha.

unborn Truth

@Shin Good thing it already is xD

@ajasatya I go to a zen dojo every week, but I this is not your usual Zen from the east. It's a westernized version for helping people gain a better understanding in their daily lives. It's great don't get me wrong, but I'd actually love some hardcore practice, where Truth is the number one priority

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

1 hour ago, Max_V said:

I go to a zen dojo every week, but I this is not your usual Zen from the east. It's a westernized version for helping people gain a better understanding in their daily lives. It's great don't get me wrong, but I'd actually love some hardcore practice, where Truth is the number one priority

ask the dojo mentor about people/places he/she knows. maybe he/she knows about retreats etc.

also, check this out.

unborn Truth

2 hours ago, Max_V said:

@Shin Good thing it already is xD

@ajasatya I go to a zen dojo every week, but I this is not your usual Zen from the east. It's a westernized version for helping people gain a better understanding in their daily lives. It's great don't get me wrong, but I'd actually love some hardcore practice, where Truth is the number one priority

Then it's only a matter of time :)

God is love

And God in them

Enlightenment: Regaining the Natural Flow of mind/body Energy in the system.

Anxiety: Muscle strain in some parts of the body.

Sounds so simple, yet so difficult, not because of the difficulty of it, but the belief that the most simple/natural things are the cure, not the elaborate and complicated skills or thinking.  

Blessings

After six months of meditating, not missing a single day, ALL my anxiety and panic vanished. But I was not disciplined and stopped. Within a short time it all came back, much stronger. After being on medication for years, I'm tired of this needless suffering. I've just recently come across Actualized.org and every day for the past week I've watched one or two videos, do daily meditation, and do a half-hour guided visualization app on my cell phone. It really, really is working. I feel I'm finally on the right path without medication. My heart goes out to all anxiety, panic, and depression sufferers.