beastmode

Progress of Consciousness Technology?

3 posts in this topic

Hi y'all - I tried to do some initial research on this but couldn't find anything spot on. I know very little about technology. 

Is there promising technological work that could somehow help the human brain examine itself? I hope I'm not being too sci-fi here, but I envision brain micro chips that could basically manipulate the host's experience of reality / allow us to self examine in ways never thought possible before. 

Thoughts?

There's a lot of technological development and innovation going on in the field of psychiatry and neuroscience. For example: 

• Transcranial magnetic stimulation is a procedure that uses magnetism to manipulate the neural activity. It can either inhibit or activate the neurons around the area it is aimed at. It is an up-and-coming psychiatric treatment and is already used as a therapy for depression and various other disorders. 
  • Neurofeedback. Commonly used for ADHD, but also for depression, OCD, anxiety disorder, insomnia, psychopathy and much more. It's basically a device that is giving you direct feedback on your current neural activity. There is also the possibility to use neurofeedback to enhance meditation. There is a program that is called "40 years of zen" somewhere in California i belive. Also there are devices being sold that claim to be effective for private solo-therapy with neurofeedback. It costs a lot of money though, and I think for now it's only effective  with a professional neurofeedback-therapist. 
  • There is also Deep Brain Stimulation. It's basically a little gadget, like a pacemaker, that they put in your brain that then manipulates the activity of certain brain regions and neural circuits. It's being used of OCD in Germany, and for Parkinson all around the world. The effects it has on Parkinson-patients are extraordinary. I think it's also used for depression, dont know though. 

Nonetheless, I don't find these technologies too promising for raising ones consciousness. I guess the best technologies in that regard are meditation, self-inquiry and psychedelics. By the way, there is also a lot of new research on the clinical effects of psychedelics, which indeed is very promising.