Dan Arnautu

The efficacy of personality tests | How accurate are they? | Open Discussion

15 posts in this topic

So, I've taken a lot of personality tests lately and in 90% of cases they are spot on (but I'm doing only the best ones I can find) if I answer completely sincerely.

The biggest argument against these tests is that the results are relative to the database of people who have taken so and because of that the results are in percentiles compared to the other people (ex. You are 20% more neurotic than the average person.)

What do you think about this? Are they accurate or not, or at least reliable enough to use as a guideline to fix some stuff about yourself? Some expert opinions would be appreciated if there are some people like that here.

I gave these tests to a lot of friends and family members and in most cases, the results tended to confirm what I already suspected about them.

Here I want to take into account the following tests:

The Dark Triad - which measures the level of Narcissism, Machiavellianism and Psychopathy in an individual

The Big Five Test - which measures Neuroticism, Openness to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion and Agreableness

The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Test - which boxes you in one of 16 personality types based on 4 traits (and 4 antithetical to those, in order to see, in percentages, where you tend to incline)

Disclaimer: My aim IS NOT to put people in boxes. I know that individuals are infinitely complex, but I see that the results of these tests are VERY VERY often reliably true. And many employers use these three tests in the hiring process, and some say that these help them reject 70% of the applications, being left with the gold. I am not biased towards them, but from my experience, they tend to be more helpful than not.

This is an open discussion. Feel free to share your opinions.

Although, I recommend to take all three tests first before commenting. It's more helpful if we have only informed opinions here and not prejudices.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu

I have taken all the three tests, but they are not my favorite. I must say however that they were useful in a sense, because after completing those I had a better and more stable confirmation for  who I truly, the personality I most resonate with, the ones you mentioned were like a good start but then after taking Michael personality teachings into the equation and my ennegaram type, the game changed drastically . I have mentioned those in my enlightenment guide. If you want to see it, click on the link in my signature.

Here's a quote from the guide.

Discover your core frequency by discovering your authentic self. Read this article and also find your mode of operation, goal, attitude and character flaws. (everything is on the site below, find it in the right side bar) Also find your enneagram type and your path of growth and stress. Then be in alignment with that personality.

http://personalityspirituality.net/articles/the-michael-teachings/the-seven-roles-in-essence/ 

@AleksM Thanks for the tips. Are you talking about the Riso-Hudson Enneagram?

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Every person is different obviously but when I found out about MBTI I was astonished how accurate it was.

@CuteCornDog @wavydude I would appreciate if you would share with us what you have resonated with most from that test. 

@wavydude Yeah, I find that to be the case for me too. Actually, when I see the important figures below the results that have or had the same personality type as me, they give me confidence that I can achieve great things.

For example, I am an INFJ (and examples of other INFJ's include Martin Luther King, Morgan Freeman and Nelson Mandela), and I always was a soft spoken person that avoided conflict at all costs, BUT, I found out that I can and should stand up and speak for something when I really believe in it.

I was also very doubtful of my speaking and leadership abilities, but necessity is kinda making me want to take charge (and work on those two skills) because all the people around me seem to be doing dumb shit and going down on less than good paths.

You can think of me as the one in the group that does not want and doesn't have the confidence yet to lead, but the one that everyone votes because he knows what needs to be done, he doesn't want power for it's own sake and because he has shown genuine care to the people around him. 

The results made me want to take more responsibility - responsibility not only as in more to do, but as in taking charge of my insecurities, fears and doubts. I saw that I was suppressing my unconventional ideas and who I really was for too long, in fear that I won't fit in and will remain without friends. 

Edited by Dan Arnautu

@Dan Arnautu Didnt read your post at all but my saying is... how could you let you words on your screen define who you are?

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

@sweater Well, if you had actually read the post, you would have your answer. 

Take as many of the tests as you can and compare the results.  That’s all you can do.  This is still better than not doing this.  You’re bound to learn something of value about yourself that you were not fully conscious of.  Do every free online credible diagnostic test.  Why not?  This is an excellent use of your personal development time.  Do all the free tests on Authentichappiness.com too.  You gotta register first, but it’s easy.  This is real work that will get you real awareness, not just empty talk about vague concepts.  This is some of the highest-quality work you can be doing in personal development: increasing awareness of your authentic-self.  I’m a big fan of credible diagnostic tests.  I wanna take as many as I can, including career assessment tests.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I've found MBTI very accurate for myself and how I interact with other personality types.

With that said, there are deeper levels than personality. MBTI is a good description of how my genetics and external environment have shaped me and how my mind/body is programmed to respond to various input. Yet, I need to be careful not identify with and reinforce that illusionary self image.

Mbti doesn’t tell you everything, of course. Seeing mbti as something that “boxes” you in is a misunderstanding of it. It’s meant to be a guideline, not a crystal ball, and anyone who uses it to stereotype people is giving it a bad name. 

Other people have explained it well to you enough, and if you explore this forum, there’ll be other threads discussing the same issue. I recommend the site Personality Junkie and Personality Hacker for personal development using mbti. So like you ask, I thought I’d offer you a comprehensive story of my experience with it. 

—— 

I’ve used mbti for a few years for personal development. Around 2-3 years now that I think about it.

I was a pretty obvious INTP the first time I’ve taken the test, fitting many of the criteria too well. 

INTPs have dominant Ti and auxiliary Ne. Dom Ti, for simplicity’s sake, is a focus on accuracy of beliefs and truth, often lending itself a value on wisdom in personal development. Aux Ne is a focus on the big picture of several possiblities at once. To find the truth, I had to explore the possibilites first, and aux Ne wasn’t something I had well.

I developed it through brainstorming, finding novel interests and new situations, and I found insights I never had before. I was terrified of them, and still was, but I managed to learn an important lesson. I couldn’t find my own truth without exploring the possiblites around it, and I’d need as many perspectives as possible. It taught me a sense of optimism, of risk taking and of hope.

I slowly began on the next function which was Tertiary Si, which is a focus on past memories and details. As I explored possibilities, I realized I made the same mistakes over and over I could only heal by focusing on the past. With Ne, I found more options, but without Si, I couldn’t stick to the details to implement these ideas in my actual life. I found it excruciatingly mundane to do so — but I managed to find discipline and practicality in my life. I still need adjustments to it at times though.

Last is inferior Fe which is a focus on the emotional values of other people. I think of it as the most excruciatingly embarassing, terrifying and uncomfortable development I’ve ever done in my life. I’ve wondered around wondering why I couldn’t figure out wisdom by thinking anymore, and somehow I realized some wisdom can only be learned by feeling. I’ve learned to empathize, open up emotionally and use the insights I’ve learned from Ti, Ne and Si to share to others. I’m still working on it — and it’s . . .something I rather avoid, but somehow I keep coming back whenever I spend time ignoring these issues.

I’m not as much as an obvious INTP as before now that I’ve balanced my traits somewhat. ..Eh, life can be weird. I’d give you that.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates