Charlotte

Obsessive thoughts literally ruining my life ?

40 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Trying to get back on, I'm just confused with it all again, don't know where to start ? my heads up my backside trying to deal with Christmas and personal development ?

Yeah, it's going to be a busy month, and even more reason to get calm and clear internally. No need to overcomplicate it. Just sit down, close your eyes, and notice what you feel internally. Be mindful of what's going on, all the unconsciousness that's been occurring. That should get you centered.

1. Practice mindfulness. Especially planned on set activities. E.G When you are walking, when you are brushing your teeth etc.

2. Meditation every day, start with 10 minutes.

3. Buy a CBT book and DIY. I recommend CBT for dummies. Find on Amazon.

4. Be patient! You're on a journey, and believe it or not the suffering is necessary for your growth.

:x LOVE YOU :x

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@Charlotte defintely @The White Belt and @Spacious know what they are talking about!! In my opinion, I hear good things about CBT, although I never tried it, it probably will help your OCD, but I cured my OCD with mindfulness meditation with an average of 20-30 mins a day for just under a year every day, this is GUARANTEED to rid the anxiety caused by your OCD permenantely, (if you are looking for a long term solution to this, after all, your brain is no different than mine, if I or anyone else can cure OCD via mindfulness meditation, then you can as well, with time and practice of course) :)

It really does depend if you actually have OCD or not, you may just been an anxious person, but may not have it as deep as I have and might just need something to cope with it short term, if that is the case, I would advise to go with the CBT and then move onto meditation if that fails!

Everyone here seems to be recommending mindfulness meditation to help disidentify with your mind and end your OCD once and for all, it seems some of us even had extreme OCD and cured it through this!

Additional: Read 'The power of now' by Eckhart Tolle. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

22 hours ago, Spacious said:

@Charlotte

I used to have quite severe intrusive thoughts and some obsessive thoughts. So it was a difficult road to step out of them, but the things that worked for me were:

Do free association writing until you feel utterly spent, you will know the feeling when it happens, it's a little like that post-sex euphoria.

Meditation, take it slow on this, build a habit of twice a day (10 mins each time) and imagine the process as an airing of your subconscious as like a vertical line running through your awareness. This will mean the emotions pour out of you.

You're also in the United Kingdom, so whenever you need to talk to someone, call The Samaritans on 116123, this is a free number and is open 24 hours a day.

As has probably been mentioned, and you'e probably doing, teach yourself CBT. Learning how to do it yourself is a major form of empowerment.

Write a timeline of your life, Jordan Peterson created something called the self-authoring suite https://www.selfauthoring.com/past-authoring.html and one is a past authoring program. It costs £11 and is remarkable in its utility, depth and breadth. This will look at how your past is really affecting your present.

Get a gym membership and go twice a week for 20 minutes each time, don't put pressure on yourself to do any more than this.

I also went vegan, quit all alcohol and drugs (I'm doing psychedelics again, but the time needs to be right for this).

Some of this may repeat what is above, so take that as confirmation of its usefulness.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint and this will reduce progressively with your positive action.

I can't thank you enough for this information @Spacious incredible advice thank you!

I'll just cover a few points you mentioned. Alcohol and drugs are non present in my life whatsoever, except nicotine in an e-cigarette. I have something called degenerative disc disease which causes chronic pain 24/7 so that limits the range of exercise I do but I walk A LOT, also starting swimming in 2018. 

The self authoring suite sounds brilliant I'll definitely look into that, thank you. 

Thank you for everything you said, I'm printing off this page of the thread to pop into my journal.

❤️

14 hours ago, Ascend said:

Yeah, it's going to be a busy month, and even more reason to get calm and clear internally. No need to overcomplicate it. Just sit down, close your eyes, and notice what you feel internally. Be mindful of what's going on, all the unconsciousness that's been occurring. That should get you centered.

Thank you @Ascend awesome advice, noted.

❤️

11 hours ago, The White Belt said:

1. Practice mindfulness. Especially planned on set activities. E.G When you are walking, when you are brushing your teeth etc.

2. Meditation every day, start with 10 minutes.

3. Buy a CBT book and DIY. I recommend CBT for dummies. Find on Amazon.

4. Be patient! You're on a journey, and believe it or not the suffering is necessary for your growth.

:x LOVE YOU :x

Thank you for this, printed this off also to go into my journal, will do this every day, build a habit (which I have also set in my 2018 goals list). Patience is, I have to admit something I'm lacking, I'm very hard on myself so I'll be kinder to myself and take any suffering I cause as a lesson to be learnt. Thank you again, love you too ?

❤️

9 hours ago, Light Lover said:

@Charlotte defintely @The White Belt and @Spacious know what they are talking about!! In my opinion, I hear good things about CBT, although I never tried it, it probably will help your OCD, but I cured my OCD with mindfulness meditation with an average of 20-30 mins a day for just under a year every day, this is GUARANTEED to rid the anxiety caused by your OCD permenantely, (if you are looking for a long term solution to this, after all, your brain is no different than mine, if I or anyone else can cure OCD via mindfulness meditation, then you can as well, with time and practice of course) :)

It really does depend if you actually have OCD or not, you may just been an anxious person, but may not have it as deep as I have and might just need something to cope with it short term, if that is the case, I would advise to go with the CBT and then move onto meditation if that fails!

I agree they do to. Wow, well done to you!! I'm in awe of you. I definitely have OCD. I've just been accepted (yaaaaayyyy) for high intensity CBT for OCD onto the NHS (publicly funded national healthcare) mental health services, they are great and I'm so so excited to learn more about myself. I'll be doing my mindfulness meditation whilst doing CBT also.

Thank you again for your advice

❤️

1 hour ago, The White Belt said:

Additional: Read 'The power of now' by Eckhart Tolle. 

Ordering it now. Thank you

❤️

Just to add, your all amazing, thank you for taking the time out of your day to try and help mine ?

6 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Done B|, excited to read this @The White Belt

Amazing book, don't read it as a traditional book though, this isn't about gaining knowledge.

You will need to find the experiences he describes in it in your own experience.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Charlotte Amazing! Good on you. Yes, like the other guys are saying. Contemplate the information deeply and try to see it happening all around and within you. :-) 

― Shunryu Suzuki

Meditate starting now and everyday for the rest of your life. You won't see results right away but that's your problem right now. You're neurotically trying to change and use thoughts to change your thoughts. Change doesn't work like that. How can I say this? Simply because I'm in your situation.

@Light Lover will do! ?

Thanks for the advice with regards to the book. I think your all pointing to reading the book and having direct experience of what's being said in the book yes? Noted. Thank you so much! Hasn't arrived yet but patiently waiting for the post man. Will update shortly 

?

Well, I am not very known for your problem but I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and I found this very helpful It`s called mindfulness but there are various ways to practice it is literally saving my life.

eckhart-tolle-negativity-anxiety-guilt-p

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Charlotte Awesome stuff. More than welcome :-) funnily enough, I just purchased another copy today to give to a co-worker for Christmas. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

@Shin ...and psychological time is given continuity by thought

Thought within the realm of the psyche is not necessary. It’s actully the root of all psychological problems. 

??

Edited by Faceless

I was thinking about your thoughts and something that made miracles with my confidence is chess take a look at this link:

http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2012/03/25/10-big-brain-benefits-of-playing-chess/

and also for example, if you are unconfident try to put yourself in an comfort zone for example if you are afraid of the forest during the day go to the forest or if you are afraid of standing in a tall balcony then slowly approach to it