Ether

Thinking A Lot Less

11 posts in this topic

After i meditate, i notice i think a lot less, but i still think. How do i get a silent mind?? Meditate more?

@Ether yes, it's a training exercise. the word "training" is used in zen very often and it captures the nature of the Practice very well.

when asked if he was always mindful and peaceful like that, thich nhat hahn said that it's his endless training.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

@Ether

Thinking has a role. So if your goal is to never think again, I'd reconsider.

Instead, shoot to eliminate the 80% of thinking which is basically useless conditioning just on repeat.

The more you meditate the more present you'll become overtime.

On 17/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, Ether said:

After i meditate, i notice i think a lot less, but i still think. How do i get a silent mind?? Meditate more?

Hell no, the mind is the most funny thing in the world, you definitely don't want to silence it !

@Nahm But it's funny ... :( 

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Thought has its place. But nothingness is freedom. A mind with “no thing” as its content is free.

Maybe Afonso means thought in the context that we attempt to capture a sense of security in the relationship and reaction to fear. Thought in its very nature is to anylize certain stimuli through subjective awareness or perception to establish a sanctuary for the body or mind. 

That is what I got from that comment. He might imply that thinking in this sense is the reaction to fear and the desire to self sustain. 

This seems reasonable, rational to me...I could be wrong though.

Edited by Faceless