How to be wise

Leaving Society After Enlightenment.

31 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, blazed said:

Just because you're enlightened doesn't mean you can't get irritated or annoyed anymore.

You're just more aware of what it is, and it probably won't effect you anymore when it's outside your field of experience.

Sadhguru had to run away from people in his early days of enlighenment because they wouldnt stop touching him and bothering during his meditations.

Also i've seen videos of him where he seems to be a little too bothered emotionally about what someone has said.

Yeah I noticed as well. He did a speech in oxford, and in the speech he asked a few rhetorical questions, and he expected people to reply. For example, when he says 'isn't that so?' He kept repeating it till people replied. Then he got so frustrated and was like to the audience 'are we in talking terms or not?' 

But Byron Katie actually achieved full emotional mastery. It's quite interesting because she said she worked on and achieved her emotional mastery whilst she was in the desert by herself, and not in her enlightenment experience. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

5 hours ago, How to be wise said:

No they don't. Ramana Maharshi spent the rest of his 54 years on that mountain.

He almost allowed everyone to see him any time other than maybe short bathroom breaks or something. If that is not "returning to the world" then I don't know what is. But hey, I'm not interested in arguing.

6 hours ago, Shin said:

That only happens if you have a spontaneous enlightenment, lots of people have a gradual one, which means they have a lot of time to acclimate.

I didn't get deep enlightenment until I had that ego-death experience on psychedelics.  After that, my enlightenment entered a new level,  So instead of gradual and instantaneous, enlightenment is more like a stair-step ascent with a series of plateaus that are transcended one after the other.  And you are on one of those plateaus now.  If you grow, you will make a discontinuous leap to the next plateau up -- the next stair-step up, assuming there is one.  After all, awareness requires exploration and knowledge as well as observation.  The more inner and outer exploration you do, the more you feed that growth engine which might deepen your enlightenment and pop it up a notch or two from where you're at.  Travel and experiencing different cultures, peoples, folkways, lands, art, letters, and ideas is food for enlightenment too, not just inner work.  The inner-outer distinction is illusory, so we wanna be mystics of the world not mystics hiding away under a rock.  Hiding away from external reality is a trap.  You wanna engage with reality fully.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

26 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

So instead of gradual and instantaneous, enlightenment is more like a stair-step ascent with a series of plateaus that are transcended one after the other.  And you are on one of those plateaus now.

@Joseph Maynor I'm on the step where ego is a terminal condition. No matter how I cut it, at some point this ego's experience will come to an end. What's the next step like?

@AleksM Are you back to hanging out with the same group of friends prior to enlightenment? 

On this path, I feel bad for hopping around from a group of friends to the next. I think this is just a part of life. Just my topic of interests can be too radical and threatening sometimes. 

11 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I didn't get deep enlightenment until I had that ego-death experience on psychedelics.  After that, my enlightenment entered a new level,

¬¬

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Ether

If it would be a lie, then probably a lot of people on the internet are lying.  I did a google search for you and found a lot of tutorials and posts about sensing energy fields. Enter in google: sensing energy fields

@JustinS After enlightenment I have left the majority behind, but some of them I have returned to hang out with. I have found that developing deep relationships with people is important to me but I don't crave them at all and letting go of the superficial ones is also important. Find the ones that you can develop something deep with and stay in touch. Leave the superficial ones without regret. 

On 15-11-2017 at 11:55 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

I didn't get deep enlightenment until I had that ego-death experience on psychedelics.  After that, my enlightenment entered a new level,  So instead of gradual and instantaneous, enlightenment is more like a stair-step ascent with a series of plateaus that are transcended one after the other.  And you are on one of those plateaus now.  If you grow, you will make a discontinuous leap to the next plateau up -- the next stair-step up, assuming there is one.  After all, awareness requires exploration and knowledge as well as observation.  The more inner and outer exploration you do, the more you feed that growth engine which might deepen your enlightenment and pop it up a notch or two from where you're at.  Travel and experiencing different cultures, peoples, folkways, lands, art, letters, and ideas is food for enlightenment too, not just inner work.  The inner-outer distinction is illusory, so we wanna be mystics of the world not mystics hiding away under a rock.  Hiding away from external reality is a trap.  You wanna engage with reality fully.

I think you're speaking of spiritual awakening rather than enlightenment. 

Think of life as a game and you just leveled up. Why would you keep playing the same level everyone else is in, it only gets you illusioned back into that level again. Its pointless, you must move forward in life and play the new levels. Growth will not occur playing the same level no matter how much you wanna help others reach the new level you unlocked.

Plant seeds, Move on.

Plant seeds, Move on.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

On 2017-11-15 at 0:11 AM, How to be wise said:

Skip to 18:35. Byron Katie describes how she ran off to the desert after her enlightenment to get away from society. But I noticed that this was a common theme for enlightened people, Ramana Maharshi comes to mind. So why do they decide to do that. Why do they run away from society after spontaneous enlightenment?

Because after an awakening your emotional guard is down. Or rather there is no emotional guard anymore. That makes it really hard to deal with other people because all there emotional baggage effects you. That makes it easy to isolate oneself to not having to deal with other peoples shit. You have your own shit to deal with and that usually is quite alot.