Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milos Uzelac

Nlp Is It Always A Legitimate Self-development Technique?

4 posts in this topic

*I have a back voice saying to me that this is my circle of getting in various diffrent activities and sports naively interested and surface level interested in them and unwilling to really work at them and quiting after judging the people leading the program and not trying to create partners in the group that Im with but still this program doesnt feel right and with good intent*  *Learning Basic Yoga Postures from a book and setting the time to meditate feels better for me and feels like something that I really want to somehow turn into a carrer to teach people after years of finally dedicating to one thing 

I have decided to be a part of a group for the first ever NLP course for students in Belgrade which is going to teach them to be practioners of the methodology. The motive that drove me to try it out was of course this channel and website and also the fact that my aunt has finished the other courses for the certificates of master NLP which and that she is considering to be a life coach in some sort of therapy setting, seemed to me as something of real use and support for me in starting a new personal development technique. I havent payed for the courses my grandparents separted the money for the first module and my aunt said that she will pay for the rest.

I went to a two day held lecture and after it felt that I went through a mechanical,ritualistic (they sewed a coffee grain and a plastic heart to our scripts and there was this circle of plastic papers that we went around at and then stood at each one with somebody saying an NLP axiom while you had to force yourself to think a about an event with no real emotion behind it)  and as a scamy program for students in the sense that some of us went by the initiative of parents, relatives and that few of us are paying for this with our own money. The atmosphere and the lectures didnt feel for me that they were for students more for people starting in business and using this to be effective with communicating with clients. I felt constrained and uneasy while listening to theory that I already heard Leo saying and partially on the internet and there was no explanation of these axioms (are these similar to koans that I must ponder in day to day experience to get an insight from them) it felt like a I was saying a mantra. The assistant who was there looked ambigious and didnt act or tell us important stuff about it like a person who is really developing through this. The lecturer acted a few times like person who is not really living this through heart rather like a salesman. I have written to them that Im not continuing with lectures but since Im writing this for 40 minutes and asking advice Im not really sure then. I have to tell my aunt my decision and she had built up excpectations of this helping me but Im not seeing it in my studies or talking at seminars in college or something other related with it. With all this analysis and keyboard-jockeying to write this I would really appreciate advice because I have a feeling that if I dont continue that this actually a part of my personal vicious circle on the other hand I feel like I would be forced to go if I continue just because of my aunt and not really my effort to develop. It doesnt feel right in its form and legitimate to me thats the main point.

It feel like its for success in business and that it scratches the surface in communication with people in other areas of life. I dont have experience of it but this seems the case for me.

Did anyone have a similar experience at the begining  and how did it turn out for you if you decided to complete the courses and sit at the lectures. Would really like to read it from other people that went through it and step out of the complaint letter which started out at the begining of the topic.

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

As with anything, you need to know when to apply it, and you need to not become dogmatic about it. Then it can be helpful.

Always? The only thing that's always is nothing ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It's legitimate in the same way meditation is legitimate.

Some will try meditation once for 5 mins and be like "This shit is for the birds." Others will understand that meditation will take lots of time, practice, and internal process observation.

NLP is very similar in that it relies on hypnosis (sometimes self-induced, others with by a person, really you always allow yourself always to be hypnotized), but it aims at changing your unconscious motivations for whatever your goals are.

If you goal is to lose weight, it may take more than 1 NLP session to achieve that. Looking at other factors like diet, exercise, were you in trance during the session, etc..

Before you spend money on something like this, and you already have an apprehension for it, research research. Youtube, maybe buy an inexpensive book on it.

NLP could be legit, I have never really researched it, but not every course is. There's a lot of amateurs making them, people who shouldn't be doing it and are only in for money, people who tell you only the stuff you can find on the internet, people who are not practicing what they are preaching (common problem, there are many liars like these in investing niche, they try to sell you road to riches they have never tested, because their road is selling you shitty, untested advice)

That's why I believe self-education is the way to go. If I had to attend a course it would have to be a seminar by a top-class professional or something that depends mainly on my efforts, like a retreat. There's no point in settling down for less. Learning by yourself is better than attending a mediocre course, because you are not wasting time on commuting, you save money and learn how to be better at learining.