Time Traveler

Compulsive Behavior

7 posts in this topic

I don't know how to correct this.

I am mastering online poker. There are several rules you have to obey if you want to succeed. One of them is: "Do not reraise on turn with only a top pair !"

I know it. I even wrote it in big banner and stick it to the wall in front of me. I lost big pots some 20 times today cause I violated it. I swore to abide it hundred times.

Nothing works. When I flop top pair, lizard brain takes control and I raise and reraise and cannot stop. 

After, I come back to normal and can only admit: Yes, I did it again.

Is there something I can do to change this ?

Take the rule less seriously. Is there any physical force stopping you from betting? Probably not. Accept this is something you wish to change in your behavior and work on improving yourself.

Edited by ZX_man

13 hours ago, ZX_man said:

... Accept this is something you wish to change in your behavior and work on improving yourself.

Sure thing.

BIG QUESTION: "Work HOW ?"

I used to be a pro poker player for many years. Jared Tendler's 2 books are alright. What helped me the most with this issue was visualization. I knew about it for almost 10 years, wrote how I should do it in my poker mission statemen 8 years ago but rarely actually did it. Nowadays I know that if I skip me pre-session visualization I might make similar mistakes. 5 minutes is enough for me. First "get into your body" . Then just visualize yourself being extra present in those tough situations, also I visualize myself "In the zone" as they call it, looking at the right stats at the right times, really being very present and when I realize I'm beat not making that stupid call even though the math says so, etc. If you don't do a warmup/visualization, your first 5-10 minutes of playing are the warmup. I'd suggest doing a cooldown as well. Leo's visualization video is actually pretty good, what I do is very similar. 

Edited by Godex

Cooldowns are not as important as warmups, for me at least.  I think cooldowns are more important when you're starting out. My version of it is that I go over the biggest hands, if I think I've made big mistakes during the session. Here's a link on how to do one: http://www.mentalgamefish.com/poker-cool-down/

@Godex  

Thanks again !

You are a life saver !

Today I bought both Jared Tendler's books. Looks  that I will be able to eliminate my problems and more.