egoless

Commonplace Book Mega Thread

143 posts in this topic

@ppfeiff Outline looks pretty good. Thanks for posting it here for Mac users. After you've used it for a week, write us a mini-review.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@ppfeiff Yea I've been using Outline every since Leo brought out his Commonplace Book video. It's been great so far I'd definitely recommend. I went along and bought the full version after using the trial. From seeing OneNote in Leo's video I'd say Outline is about 80% the same, functionality wise. However, there are a few differences which I've noticed after using it for a month or so:

1) Quite limited search function. Doesn't have the Find Tags function that OneNote has.

2) You can't use custom fonts. Not a massive deal obviously, you're just limited to 11 presets.

3) Doesn't have some of the more advanced tools that OneNote has like the drawing tool, voice recording etc, the ability to drag bullet points up and down the list as Leo shows in the video, or the linking to different pages function. Can't say I've needed to use these though.

Aside from those points, I don't think there's much else. It saves everything into one file on your computer which is exactly what I wanted. Means you can backup everything onto an external hard drive super easily. Very clean, simple, easy to use interface. 

Let us know how it works for you.

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Space

2 minutes ago, Space said:

@ppfeiff 3) Doesn't have some of the more advanced tools that OneNote has like the drawing tool, voice recording etc, the ability to drag bullet points up and down the list as Leo shows in the video, or the linking to different pages function. Can't say I've needed to use these though.

In the version I recently downloaded, I can right click on a section in the "NOTEBOOKS" finder, select "Copy Link to This Section" in the splash window, and paste the link in other sections or even notebooks, thus creating the internal linking I think both Leo and you describe :) 

I also went ahead and purchased a full version after the trial. So excited!!!

2 minutes ago, ppfeiff said:

@Space

In the version I recently downloaded, I can right click on a section in the "NOTEBOOKS" finder, select "Copy Link to This Section" in the splash window, and paste the link in other sections or even notebooks, thus creating the internal linking I think both Leo and you describe :) 

I also went ahead and purchased a full version after the trial. So excited!!!

Ahh I totally missed that. Thanks!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Side-Note: For anyone who has tried the trial version of Outline, loves it, and wants to buy the non-educational (standard) license, coupon code MACNEWPRICE3191 will get you 15% off the original price!

16 hours ago, ppfeiff said:

@Joyboy Have you used Outline? I'm looking at it on the app store... It looks promising. Would you recommend it?

I'm using Outline and definitely recommend it for Mac user.

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul

@Joyboy I use Onenote now on macbook. What should be the benefits other than it looking cool? 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

@realname I quite like it just saving on the cloud. If my macbook ever crashes there won't be any lost files.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

You guys can use whatever you like, the idea is to make a book that content all of your 'knowledge'. Just do it and better tool will come along, do not get distracted.

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul

On 30/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, Leo Gura said:

@Dan Arnautu Like I said, I install Windows on my MacBook. No virtual box. I don't use MacOS at all.

@Leo Gura What macbook do you use? 

Edited by Greatnestwithin

G'day All

I just want to add that I have kept some sort of journal almost from the time I learned to write. I have tested many methods both online and offline. Off course, before computers I had a huge stack of hand written notebooks. Going back over these has been invaluable to my life's journey.

I have been using One Note for a few years now, mainly for my university studies. I create a new book for each subject and have found it invaluable for study because I have been able to keep class notes, research etc, etc all in one convenient place.

Even though I am very experienced in keeping  a journal and other relevant notes I enjoyed watching this video because I believe that we can never presume we kn ow it all. I am glad I did because it did broaden my concept of the Common Place book. Also, I never thought of using One Note for this, even though I use it for a multitude of other things. I also learned a few features of One Note that I didn't know about.

Just in case you're wondering the version I use is 2016.

So, once again a very valuable video from Leo - thank you.

Hey, I am thinking about buying a light, cheap laptop for note-taking. I have been considering 13 inch Macbook Air from 2012-2013, but maybe there are better alternatives? What are you guys using? Budget around $400.

@Girzo Get something with a warranty. 

I guess the Aesthetics of Apple is the selling point, but I have seen a few videos online, that the construction often means they can heat up a lot, and sometimes there's a lack of vents, that get blocked or even end up sucking in dust. The capacitors aren't necessarily, the best with the small construction and power usage.

I use a Dell M2800, which I bought off Ebay but, that's a standard size 15'6 laptop. I like the rugged construction, built in GPU, ports, DVD drive etc. Wouldn't mind getting a lighter laptop. I guess a Dell XPS or maybe Apple, are the main ones, for ultra portable.

If it's only for notes however, why not get a tablet? Like a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Can get a keyboard and case to prop it up for notes. Even more portable than a laptop, and easy to charge. Can get a simcard slot as well with the tab.

It's been 2 years since 2017 and i'm still making AWESOME progress with my commonplace book. I've made it a deeply ingrained habit to write down realizations, insights, inspiration, and happy moments. 

I've just started using Onenote and its absolutely amazing

I've watched the video recently and its a life changing addition. 

I used to write in notebooks but this works so much better and more organised. 

What i like the most is the fact that its connected to both my phone, laptop and pc. So if i write some quick notes down i work those out better later on.  This is exactly what i missed!

Edited by MaxV

I just want to share another tool that I'm using now, it's called Notion and it's awesome

Screen-Shot-2018-02-26-at-8.28.40-PM-102

a91b792b9e8aceb20b1c19210cf21e74.png?for

dd3dfd1e0433df39b0528202b1c67fb4.png?for