egoless

Commonplace Book Mega Thread

143 posts in this topic

@egoless Sure, his personal stuff makes him vulnerable and authentic, but things like his etymology book and the exercises from his paid course doesn't. If someone gets on his/her hands on the exercises (like I did) and finds his life purpose using them, he would potentially lose 250 dollars. 

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

Hi all just thought I would give my 2 cents on OneNote.

As Leo rightly mentioned that he uses a version of OneNote from 2010, I decided to have a look at a more recent version OneNote 2016. What I can say is that the interface is very slick and tools more updated. I could not find a way of easily storing my files locally to easily backup and use on another machine. It does indeed save to the cloud which is a good thing. but whilst this feature is free for Hotmail and outlook subscribers if you want to use it locally you do need to purchase it from Microsoft. I was able to purchase a legitimate product key (£7 pounds/sterling) from eBay and download/install onto my machine. The process was painless, however as mentioned all files are synced to the cloud, which is something that I am not wanting to have, plus no visible option to save locally.

Some may not object to saving there files in the cloud, but consider that whilst this is free for users at present, in the near future Microsoft could change all this and start charging on a monthly basis.

You also have the issue of security, you can not be certain that your information is kept secure, it only takes a breach in security for data to be wiped or servers to crash. If you have your Life work in the commanplace book group then you are screwed.

In my opnion the advice to anyone wishing to do their commanplace book electronically is:

1. Purchase a copy of office 2010 pro - as a digital copy and burn the installation files onto CD in case you need to reinstall.

2. OneNote is currently compatible with windows 10 and is supported on the platform upto the year 2020, and should continue working as normal well after this date. For mac users you can use this virtually machine software called parallels which will allow you to run windows on your mac and hence office 2010 pro could run forever on it. 

I was quite tempted to jump on-board the 'New version' train but realized that privacy and accessibility will always supersede any 'New Version'.

regards.

Edited by Noego2020

@Noego2020 But notice that we are talking about Microsoft here - Mega corporation with mega security. It is more likely that your laptop will be hacked or destroyed  tonight than someone hacks whole Microsoft cloud system. Also you risk to be outdated if some major changes happen and you can't install OneNote 2010 on newest hardwares. Commonplace book is a very long term investment so to be always up to date is significant. Someone posted link where Microsoft declares that OneNote will be free forever...

It is more likely that your local files get destroyed than Microsoft cloud system ereases everything - which is highly unlikely. Plus people mentioned here that new OneNote also saves it locally and if you wish you may turn off autosync. You can also export it in pdf as far as I know.

Edited by egoless

Ok, I will give you my 2 cents. 

So I have been using Evernote over 2 years and I am not planning transition to OneNote because of one thing. TAG SYSTEM.

Below you can see my screen for only my tags in Self Actualization (SA). So whenever I find sth interesting e.g. some insight on discipline I will probably copy it and make a new note + add tag ".SA - discipline". And now whenever I want to look at my notes about discipline I will only look for tag ".SA - discipline". Now as you can see on the screen I also showed you some of the tags ^WHO. Whenever I want to look for sth about discipline, lets say from Leo Gura, I will search by tag ".SA - discipline" + ^Leo Gura" and Evernote will show me every note that have tag ^Leo Gura and .SA - discipline. 

If one note is some part about discipline and some part about taking responsibility - you can add 2 tags to one note. Or 5 or 10. 

I also showed you my collection of quotes that I have been collecting for over 6 months now. I can sort them by Autor(^WHO) (e.g. tag: ^Alan Watts) or category e.g. Love (tag. #love). Or both. Whenever I will combine this tags Evenote will show me every quote about love from Alan Watts. You can use 5 tags at the same time or just one.

In OneNote you can't do that. As you maybe saw in Leo's video, all Leo can do (correct me if I am wrong) is to have one note with all his quotes(of course he can create more but it will not be efficient), because if he want to have note only about Allan Watts quotes he has to make a new note. If he want to have quotes about love only he has to make a new note. If he want to have note with Alan Watts quotes about Love - he has to make a new note. You see where I am going with this.

These are just 2 examples. I think I have about 300 tags. My tag system is not perfect. Matter of fact after Leo's video I plan to do some cleaning. To much tags is not good either.

And thats just the tag system. You can also have 265 notebooks. I only use 4. 

Thats why imo Everynote > OneNote.

Hope it helps.

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Edited by QeenB

@QeenB I'm doing this wrong lol. I have like 15 notebooks but I don't use tags. I guess this is a better way of categorizing stuff.

“Man’s faith in God is measured by his confidence in himself... Your faith in God is measured by your confidence in yourself, because your true self is God.”  - Neville Goddard

1 hour ago, Antonius said:

@QeenB I'm doing this wrong lol. I have like 15 notebooks but I don't use tags. I guess this is a better way of categorizing stuff.

Tag system is 1000x better, because if you have 3000 notes like me,  searching is just as easy as if you have 30 notes

Edited by QeenB

@egoless I appreciate the points made, but my viewpoint is that your data should be accessible to you and only you unless you wish to share that, I naturally backup my local data so corruption or loss is not an issue for me. The point being is that Microsoft can change their policies at a drop of a hat and there are no guarantees that oneNote will remain free in 10 years time.

Also consider what 10 years of avid collecting of links, attachments, images, audio, video etc would take up,  you would easily exceed the free 5gb storage given resulting in you paying for the privilege of additional storage.

I just think it would be foolish to rely on these 'Mega Corporations' to serve us authentically when their agenda is to make a profit.

This is just my opinion :)

regards

@Noego2020 then you could buy OneNote2016 instead as it has both local and cloud syncing :D 

I think they all have both. You can turn of syncing if you wish so

Edited by egoless

CintaNotes may be a simpler (less features) alternative to OneNote, for Windows.

It have tabs, tags, internal & external linking, attaching files, password protection, automatic saves, portable (no install)...

It doesn't have rich text format, floating or resizing blocs/elements, dynamic editing lists...

Edited by Soulbass

@Soulbass OMG that avatar though :DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I am sorry for offtopic, but I just couldn't help myself! :D 

Hi all,

In reference to an earlier post in which I gave a review from my initial impression of OneNote I realised that they are two current versions of the software:

1. OneNote - If you have windows 10, then you will find this already installed as an app, there is also a web browser version of this which is available online.

2. OneNote 2016 - This version is bundled with office 2016 and will need to be purchased. In this version you have the ability to save and backup, locally, in the cloud or both.

onnotecompare.jpg

The User Interfaces are quite different, but OneNote 2016 as more configurable settings and options

settings.jpg

I think I will give this a try.

What is the difference between OneNote and OneNote 2016

What is new in OneNote 2016

regards

Edited by Noego2020

Also what Leo probably did not mention. It is essential in this age to learn to type with all your fingers without looking on the keyboard! You will save yourself so much time by learning it!!!

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

@Caterpillar I don't like some of your subcategories, but to each their own I guess.

If we skip morals, please don't give yourself fake hickeys, I mean are you more attracted to girl who have hickeys? Also are you more attracted to a girl, just because other guys like her? To me this sounds like the kind of attitude girl would dislike.

Sorry if put my nose where should not, but I could not resist. 

Edited by Spiral

I notice some of you guys have some really limited views of girls from all the stupid pickup dogma you've absorbed.

Careful with that.

The reality of girls is VERY different than what pickup portrays, and it will come back to bite you. All your scheming and manipulating will create a lot of suffering for you in the end, even if it manages to get you laid. You will end up getting hoisted by your own petard, as they say.

The better alternative would be to apply real consciousness to your interactions with women. Stop gaming them so much. It's totally unnecessary. They will love you even more when you stop gaming them.

Your goal should be REAL authenticity, not getting them to like you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

I notice some of you guys have some really limited views of girls from all the stupid pickup dogma you've absorbed.

Careful with that.

The reality of girls is VERY different than what pickup portrays, and it will come back to bite you. All your scheming and manipulating will create a lot of suffering for you in the end, even if it manages to get you laid. You will end up getting hoisted by your own petard, as they say.

I hate when these pickup artists teach young guys that girls are just objects. Girls are humans like you and me and very complicated beings like us. Do you treat your friends as objects? Sure you don't. Where is the difference? This pickup mindset is really destructive. I wonder why did you decide to practice it in your older days.

11 minutes ago, egoless said:

I hate when these pickup artists teach young guys that girls are just objects. Girls are humans like you and me and very complicated beings like us. Do you treat your friends as objects? Sure you don't. Where is the difference? This pickup mindset is really destructive. I wonder why did you decide to practice it in your older days.

Actually, PUAs mostly treat their guy friends as objects too. They generally have a selfish, manipulative attitude towards life overall.

I got into it because I wanted to learn how girls clicked and break out of my introverted shell, for which purposes it was great. Nothing beats going in-field and approaching real girls. I was never much swayed by their low consciousness dogma. Well, I was a bit, but not nearly as bad as I see many PUAs doing. And I have been able to unwire most of that, because I'm not a dogmatic person.

You tend to get from a thing the consciousness you bring into it. Low consciousness people do low consciousness thing no matter where they go. High consciousness people can extract deep lessons even from low consciousness activities.

From doing PUA I realized the value of something like Actualized.org. And so I created it. Actualized.org was where I wished PUA would go, but probably never will.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Actually, PUAs mostly treat their guy friends as objects too. They generally have a selfish, manipulative attitude towards like overall.

I got into it because I want to learn how girls clicked, for which purposes it was great. Nothing beats going in-field an approaching real girls. I was never much swayed by their low consciousness dogma. Well, I was a bit, but not nearly as bad as I see many PUAs doing.

Because of this pickup mindset there exists huge misunderstanding between male and female in modern society. That is why girls also make barriers and that is why really good guys stay unnoticed... Pickup mindset is destructive to the whole society. Women and men in general don't understand each other authentically anymore... 

13 minutes ago, Caterpillar said:

@Spiral I heard that girls like guys who are desired by other girls. Because it's proof that he's valuable. They are wired differently than us. I don't like it when a girl has male friends. 

Yes, this is indeed true. But faking it comes off as incredibly desperate. Perhaps befriending girl, could offer you value. You will learn more about girls and be seen with them.  

37 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Stop gaming them so much. It's totally unnecessary. They will love you even more when you stop gaming them.

Your goal should be REAL authenticity, not getting them to like you.

I think I needed to hear this. I'm seeing this girl atm, and because of all the PUA theory I've consumed I have trouble being myself. I've become hyper paranoid of doing anything that could be considered "beta" like being too nice, because it could lower my "value" in her eyes. 

Edited by Joel3102