egoless

Commonplace Book Mega Thread

143 posts in this topic

Kind of like creating a spell book. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (TBS/RPG), style. Which given that "Introverted thinking" and "Ex Intuition are my dominant MBTI traits, may be a good idea.

Having listened to John Taylor Gato(on Youtube), talk about Benjamin Franklin and his personal common place book, autobiography and almanac ("Poor Richard's"). Definitely an idea, it would seem wise to actualise. Matthew 6:34 "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Also didn't Bill Gates, buy Da Vinci's notebook at auction.

I don't suppose it really matters too much what format you use, as long as you use it.  Could be tempting to get a shiny laptop and load it with games. Was thinking recently about 10" Tablets; light weight and for the 5 Volt charging, perhaps a Galaxy Tab(not sure if all tabs are 5Volt) and a 5 Volt solar panel, for power to recharge whilst backpacking. No idea how Android rates with Onenote got to be some decent reviews on Youtube and techforums.

@see_on_see I would rather put my nuts in a vice than use Apple crippled software ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Leo, which version of OneNote do you use exactly and where to get it? I did not find it on ebay so I just use free version simply called - OneNote. There is also OneNote2016 but I think it should be purchased. The one I am using currently came with my laptop windows and it is also linked with my smartphone app.

@egoless I told you the version number several times in the video.

If I made this any easier, I would have to break into your house and install it on your machine for you while you sleep.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo GuraHey Leo! I'm a big fan :) Just wanted to say hello.... and thanks for letting me tag along in this self-actualization process. (even tho there's alot of stuggling, im not giving up) - Dreamers Disease

Edited by Eden

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/

Because my arguments were ignored, here I have something for you.

Writing by hand is slower and more cumbersome than typing, and students cannot possibly write down every word in a lecture.  Instead, they listen, digest, and summarize so that they can succinctly capture the essence of the information.  Thus, taking notes by hand forces the brain to engage in some heavy “mental lifting,” and these efforts foster comprehension and retention.

--

It appears that students who use laptops can take notes in a fairly mindless, rote fashion, with little analysis or synthesis by the brain.  This kind of shallow transcription fails to promote a meaningful understanding or application of the information.

--

Mueller and Oppenheimer explored this idea by warning laptop note takers against the tendency to transcribe information without thinking, and explicitly instructed them to think about the information and type notes in their own words.  Despite these instructions, students using laptops showed the same level of verbatim content and were no better in synthesizing material than students who received no such warning.  It is possible these direct instructions to improve the quality of laptop notes failed because it is so easy to rely on less demanding, mindless processes when typing.

@Leo Gura BTW I've just noticed you leveled up to Etherial Ape congrats! :D 

@Dominik Drums Idk about you but I make better analysis while typing. 

Edited by egoless

9 hours ago, egoless said:

Discuss alternative software to OneNote - this is the one Leo is currently using.

Steno Pad

100 Sheets

6" x 9"

Gregg Ruled

Made in USA

WIN_20171112_15_57_21_Pro.jpg

@egoless I watched and liked It. Buying note taking software Isn't currently near the top of my priorities list but maybe in the future it will be. For now pen and paper will suffice. 

@stevegan928 I am using it free. It is included with my laptop windows. This may not be for everybody but those who like to hoard knowledge and information.

During watching demo I was pausing every few seconds to read Leo's insights. These notes are so powerful. It would be wonderful If he could share to the public at least some part of his journal

@Spacious yes but I am bit confused what's the difference between OneNote and OneNote2016 which is paid I guess. Will OneNote carry our progress to newer versions?

@Spacious yeah I've seen it too but you can only install online version on iphone. I wonder if OneNote has save on hardware as well in case something is wrong with cloud services

There are:

1) OneNote Windows 10 App (newest)

2) Older OneNote versions like OneNote 2016, etc.

OneNote App is free, but it cannot save files locally. All your files are stored in Microsoft cloud.

OneNote 2016 and older can save your files locally.

Mostly I like using OneNote App more, but I do not like that all my files can only be stored in cloud. What if I lose access to my Microsoft account - will I lose all my data  then?

To save files locally in OneNote 2016 you have to buy MS Office.

However, here is a trick I personally use to backup my OneNote files locally for free.

There is a free version of OneNote 2016. It will ask you to buy MS Office if you will try to save files locally. However, it can backup files locally for free.

1) Go to here and download free version of OneNote 2016 (little link "Other download options" in the bottom of the page)

https://www.onenote.com/download

2) In downloaded free OneNote 2016 go to File - Options - Save&Backup

3) Backup your files. They will be stored locally in OneNote program format

4) If you need to recover files, go to File - Open Backups

This is how you can save your OneNote files locally for free.

Cons:

1) All your files will still be first saved in Microsoft cloud, so you cannot store your files ONLY locally (have to buy MS Office for this)

2) If you recover backups, you will have to manually move restored sections to your notebooks. Because program backs up not notebooks, but sections with notes in them (structure is saved). This is not a big deal, takes a couple of minutes.

Because I am paranoid, I also import OneNote files to Evernote and then from Evernote export them in .html format.

Edited by Naviy

@blazed Leo's private life I guess 

Pity that it got deleted. It was a great video tbh. Very informative and one of the most practically useful ones.

Edited by egoless

35 minutes ago, Naviy said:

There are:

1) OneNote Windows 10 App (newest)

2) Older OneNote versions like OneNote 2016, etc.

OneNote App is free, but it cannot save files locally. All your files are stored in Microsoft cloud.

OneNote 2016 and older can save your files locally.

Mostly I like using OneNote App more, but I do not like that all my files can only be stored in cloud. What if I lose access to my Microsoft account - will I lose all my data  then?

To save files locally in OneNote 2016 you have to buy MS Office.

However, here is a trick I personally use to backup my OneNote files locally for free.

There is a free version of OneNote 2016. It will ask you to buy MS Office if you will try to save files locally. However, it can backup files locally for free.

1) Go to here and download free version of OneNote 2016 (little link "Other download options" in the bottom of the page)

https://www.onenote.com/download

2) In downloaded free OneNote 2016 go to File - Options - Save&Backup

3) Backup your files. They will be stored locally in OneNote program format

4) If you need to recover files, go to File - Open Backups

This is how you can save your OneNote files locally for free.

Cons:

1) All your files will still be first saved in Microsoft cloud, so you cannot store your files ONLY locally (have to buy MS Office for this)

2) If you recover backups, you will have to manually move restored sections to your notebooks. Because program backs up not notebooks, but sections with notes in them (structure is saved). This is not a big deal, takes a couple of minutes.

Because I am paranoid, I also import OneNote files to Evernote and then from Evernote export them in .html format.

So basically Microsoft is not going to release newer versions like Onenote2019 etc... They will just upgrade OneNote free ?

Some guys were disrespectful towards Leo and that is not cool. That is why the video was taken down I guess. But that is only my opinion. Maybe Leo had other reasons.

@blazed Yeah there was maybe some of his private life details leaked. Anyways it's up to Leo to decide. We already got cool insight from him.