egoless

Commonplace Book Mega Thread

143 posts in this topic

Firstly, I want to thank @Leo Gura once again for this amazing content. I am talking about his newest video - How To Keep The Ultimate Journal (Commonplace Book). Who have not checked it out yet, go and listen to it very diligently and in details. In short the commonplace book is something like personalized Wikipedia. You build it with information relevant to you and with time It becomes your personal treasury of knowledge. I believe that applying this practice on a daily basis could transform your entire life in the long run! It could boost your creativity and productivity indefinitely!

• Discuss here the tips and ideas concerning the Commonplace Book. 
  • Ask questions or recommendations for how to set up your Commonplace Book effectively.
  • Discuss alternative software to OneNote - this is the one Leo is currently using.

Highly recommended to watch it with great attention!

Edited by egoless

I've been using Evernote for commonplacing and so far, I am happy with it. I have no experience with MS OneNote.

I'd appreciate some thoughts from someone who worked with both, weather it's worth switching to OneNote. 

Edited by TimStr

@Leo Gura Can you tell us which version of OneNote you consider the best and where did you get it? I started using General OneNote (also for smartphones) it's free for windows I think and it has cloud feature. Is there a way to export all of my book in pdf form or something like that? What if Microsoft shuts down its OneNote service in the future.

Edited by egoless

I really like oneNote, it's easy to divide up things. Easy to add pictures and audio. Creating calendars with birthdays and special days like Father's Day. You can link stuff up really nicely too. 

I'm using the up to date version,It looks a bit confusing at first but it's easy once you get used to it. 

In regards to the sync well I like it my computer might die any day so I trust in Microsoft more. If they decide to shut it down surely they'll let me know.

@Spiral yes I also use the newest version they have. It is called simply OneNote but there is also one called OneNote2016 and I don't quite understand what are the differences between those two. Will my book automatically transfer to newest versions Microsoft is going to release in the future? Is there a chance to loose everything? Because I think this is the main consideration when creating this valuable treasury. You want it to be safe forever.

What about cons of choosing DIGITAL notebook rather than TIPICIAL notebook?

1. Don't you experience that when you have pen and paper and you need to write it by yourself in your notebook you learn much more, just some "magic" happens when you actually write it on paper. Although digital is very sexy - you can access it anywhere, it's much easier to keep it clean and organised, main reason to keep a notebook which is learning is just better using tipicial way and I'm not sure if all that benefits are worth it.

2. You tend to create notes differently when you have to write it by yourself, different process is happening in your mind - example: I can write about 10 words on keybord while normally I would write one in the same amount of time. I don't think brain is interpretting it the same.

3. From the very beggining I need to have different approach to create notes when choosing to go pen and paper, I need to find balance between time and actual writing so I need to usually write how I understand topic I'm studying, when on keyboard you are more prone to just absently type, sometimes even you are left with something which looks like transcription. Less is more.

I've been using Google Docs for over a year, its been perfect, definitely an underrated app, watching Leo's video though I can see it's limited compared to OneNote but it's been doing it's job very well for all my stuff. 

Memento Mori

@Dominik Drums However, there are plenty of disadvantages for paper version commonplace book. Did you listen to Leo's video? everything is going digital with time - including the information - you can't escape that. You can't attach videos, pictures and voice recordings to your paper. Also digital version is easier to protect and backup. If something happens with your paper (whether you spill coffee over it or loose it) you are done. All your work is lost. I agree with Leo and also consider digital version to be more effective and productive for this matter.

Edited by egoless

@Greatnestwithin I dislike mac I would not buy it. Windows is just overall better platform imho. Hate mac's limitations and overpriced hardware.

@egoless what laptop would you recommend. Small one that can carried anywhere and good quality. 

Is there any difference about onenote when used on Windows and mac? 

6 minutes ago, egoless said:

@Greatnestwithin I dislike mac I would not buy it. Windows is just overall better platform imho. Hate mac's limitations and overpriced 

@Greatnestwithin I don't know whether mac has OneNote I doubt that most likely you will have to write windows on it. I would recommend to look into Asus Zenbook series or other ultrabooks.

@Leo Gura You still read physical books? I find it's easier to read kindle books because then I can copy/paste a lot.

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

33 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Samsung makes a pretty good Windows laptop: https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/notebook-9-laptop/

But MacBook is still better, assuming you load Windows on it.

Mac is ridiculously overpriced and is not worth it imho. If you don't do gaming (no need for strong laptops) windows ultrabooks are best choice.

Dell xps is considered one of the best right now.

Edited by egoless

9 minutes ago, see_on_see said:

How are you guys gonna become enlightened if you all use Windows? It's so low consciousness xD

j/k. But please, for the love of God, if you gotta use Windows then get a PC. Unless you wanna use it as secondary OS for a few apps.

What are you talking about? Apple is for unconscious people. People who don't know how to use a PC so they need their hand held and all advanced options and permissions removed ;)

Real men use Windows (or Linux).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Kids use Mac

Men use Windows

Legends use Linux

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You