rush

Can A 9-5 Job Be Enjoyable ?

9 posts in this topic

From the way most people live their lives, it seems as if a 9-5 job is just something to do so they can enjoy going on holiday or having a great life outside of work. In this case, is a life purpose really necessary ? Why is it most people are happy to climb the corporate ladder even if it involves doing a job they don't really enjoy ? How many of you genuinely enjoy your day jobs ? As someone new to the world of work, I'd be interested in hearing different perspectives.

@rush

From one perspective, there's nothing "necessary" to be happy. Meditation teaches you that very quickly, since you get to a point where you can love just sitting in presence and nothing else.

So no, you don't "have" to leave your 9-5 job in order to happy.

But here's the thing. I'm slightly misleading you by saying that because the truth is more complex.

What I've found is that people who ignore the element of life purpose really regret it and become bitter. It becomes this repressed energy that always, always wants to come out but can't. They've limited themselves out of fear. Some also say our soul's choose the purpose we want before we are even born, so we have to honor that.

Regardless of why it happens, it happens. So here's the question you have to ask: is my life purpose a 9-5?

For some people, it actually might be. It's not our job to judge other people's purpose and say "it should look like mine or it's not valid". That's a limited perspective based on the idea that everyone should be the same and that there's a right way to experience life.

But if your purpose isn't a 9-5, you'll know. Stop kidding yourself. You've always know that's not what you're meant to do. And if you're on this forum, it's highly likely you fit in that category.

@aurum  hmm I do agree that  it is highly unlikely I fit into the 9-5 category if i am completely honest. However, if people are not working a standard 9-5 in the corporate world  to pay their bills, then the alternative is becoming an entrepreneur. Does life purpose = becoming an entrepreneur ?  As you need a way to create a stable income and becoming an entrepreneur is by no means an easy task for most people to achieve. 

@rush There's a little bit more leeway in that people like academics or programmers don't necessarily have fixed 9-5 working hours, can work from home even as employees etc. But it's still restrictive in terms of vacation time etc. There's people like massage therapist who can book time at some centre which will get clients for them - they also have a little bit of freedom to set their hours (and get paid less in exchange for not having to deal with the marketing and administrative tasks as much). 

But I resonate with your dilemma, just telling you there's a grey area between entrepreneur and 9-5 employee, which frankly I see growing bigger and bigger. 

Edited by Elisabeth

It’s all relative imo. When I worked in retail, 9-5 sounded great. Now, 9-5 does not sound great. One person might do their dream job 9-5, another bout ready to hang them self, another uses the 9-5 to fund the seeds of their start up company, and yet another has no preference at all.  Overall, I think seeing one’s potential and being without fear is what’s important. Realizing one’s true freedom of mind is paramount. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Sure they can be. Many people have 9-5 they enjoy. For example I just got a 9-5 job as a electrical engineer which I find interesting and challenging. I’m actually looking forward to work tomorrow 

Everything can potentially be very enjoyable. I think it's just that if people are kinda forced to do something day after day, they won't like it, no matter what it is. That's why imo it's important to find a job, that is challenging, incorporates you're greatest values and strengths and is not too monotone - that is, if you want your job to be a strong source of fulfilment. However, as many people said, you don't necessarily need anything to be happy. 

The way to keep a job that is doing nothing for you, is to do nothing for yourself. We can’t increase our consciousness and remain status quo. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE