Shakazulu

Effective Learning

11 posts in this topic

So much knowledge, so many books, not enough time. Being an effective learner is always the priority. Are their any methods of learning I should follow? Theres tons of self help books I wish to read and tons of practical/theory books aligned for my life purpose. How do I balance both

@Shakazulu I struggle with this efficiency question too. just to echo, worry more about taking action. "An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory." A key insight for me is that our Reptilian Brain tends to procrastinate in the form of planning and strategizing. Leo has a great line in one of the concepts videos that goes something like "work smart, but don't let wanting to work smart stop you from rolling up your sleeves."

I also just watched his video on How to Magnify your Self Help Results x10, and a key pointer is to stay with one product at a time. Leo seems pretty well rounded so just crush Actualized for now

Edited by beastmode

I recommend reading Deep work by Cal Newport and ultra learning by Scott H Young 

Edited by BjarkeT

@Shakazulu Hey there - you are on the path.  I would recommend sticking with Leo, too. He has a book list for $35 that could prove very helpful since you like books. It's not just a list, but he gives you a detailed book report of each one, which is great. So - you can decide how to prioritize.  He's a very well rounded person and has done a lot of the work for us.  I think what @Nahm means is that you are on the way and you know what to do.  Its just a matter of time and we have plenty of it. 

For myself, audio and video has been a great way to absorb info and ideas.  Many times, I can listen at 2x speed and get everything. I love books, but I can only read about an hour a day.  I am now paying an extra $75 for unlimited data because I watch and listen to over 40 gig per month and that really resonates well with me.  What is your educational background?  I spent 7 years in University and have read and written more than I care to admit during that time. Listening or watching a video is much more efficient for me.  Do you have a meditation practice?  If not, I'd recommend picking this up.  It may sound weird, but since I have been meditating.. only a few months, I have found my self reading faster, typing faster, listening more clearly, and so on.  So sorry this was so long... I just kept throwing down my thoughts.

@Drum Teacher i love it dude and yup I got a meditation practice down, affirmations and visualization. I'm definitely going to invest in the book list. Audio books are another style of learning I'll be using soon. What confuses me is, is their a certain amount of reading I should do daily? certain amount of books? A method to digest the material? I guess a regiment of some form 

quote: "is their a certain amount of reading I should do daily?"

maybe you could read one thing at a time and set a deadline then it might be easier work out how much you need to read in order to achieve the deadline:)

for example if you have a book thats 300 pages long then you could read 10 pages a day (maybe a little more if you need days where you don't have to read) then you should be able to finish the whole book in one month :) 

quote: " A method to digest the material?"

you could also find techniques that help you with reading, for example, some of those i wrote above :)

other methods could be

active learning, active recall, pratice testing, deliberate pratice, quiz and recall, spaced repetition,  the feynman technique(or explain like i am five) etc.

quote: "certain amount of books"

maybe just the ones that you find most relevant at the moment 

maybe you could also use what you already know about the topics you want to know more about to decide which books you want to read first(it might help to decide which one is more relevant and which one isn't and also how much you need to read) :) alternative you could ask somebody who already are where you want to be and ask them what books they read to figure out how many you need to read :) 

Edited by BjarkeT

@Shakazulu also, fir me, it’s hrlpful to not focus on quantity but quality. I time block my studies. I do what’s i can in the amount of time I have to devote to it. If it 90 min.. I am “all in” for those minutes.