Epiphany_Inspired

Dream Recall/ Remembering Dreams

7 posts in this topic

Hey Psychology and Metaphysical folks: My dream recall is completely supressed due to trauma...long-term... is it advisable to attempt sleep hypnosis etc to remember my dreams?...or let the nightmares run their course not consciously remembered? I went years not remembering dreams when I was in a traumatic situation 2 years ago and earlier (not normal, I am typically a mega dreamer/ lucid/astral/etc). When I escaped, the dreams came back! ....but then the shit crept back in, despite my best efforts...the dreams went away again too...and have been away for over a year again...

I've tried sleep hypnosis to help me remember them....it's just terrible nightmares where I wake up in terror....so, psychology students and metaphysical experts...is the lack of recall there to protect me?...so that I am not always sleep deprived and waking in terror? is it a good thing?

or, if I force myself to recall them for a while...would this initiate a faster healing allowing my awesome dreams to return sooner?

Maybe I should have posted this in serious emotional problems...but I'd also really like some metaphysical answers too...so I hope it can stay here :)

a3355665254_10[1].jpg

Definitely try to recall your dreams and become lucid in them, especially when they are nightmares! If you start to analyse your nightmares for the meaning you will discover a Truth that has been suppressed in yourself, giving you all these nightmares. If you actually become lucid in one of those nightmares then consciously ask the dream what this means, what you are suppressing and how to get your normal dreams back.

And if you struggle recalling your dreams, try some special dreaming herbs. The right ones will help you make your dreams more memorable and vivid

@see_on_see @Vibivub The hypnosis induced nightmares are not recurring, but have terror themes perhaps. Their "meaning" is somewhat obvious, they are just new ways/stories showing the same type of trauma I've survived since I stopped remembering them. They are no where near lucid, I have gone years now with almost no dream recall..so, It may take a while to get to that again.... When I do the hypnosis for remembering... for days, I have nightmares/ little sleep after waking in sweaty panic...tonight, I am avoiding sleeping now...that doesn't seem good either...if I get too sleep deprived, I'll get all loopy,...the hypnosis induced nightmares have drastically increased my waking fear levels too..or maybe it's the sleep dep...who knows...anyway....if it is worth it, if it will help me, I will totally keep doing it....but I still think this may be a protection mechanism...am I really meant to open this Pandora's box?

@see_on_see Thanks so much!!! Amazing & much appreciated! I get it now...there may be some issues while I figure out the lucid part again....but I will open the box...thanks!

@Epiphany_Inspired one of the psychiatrists, I watched, in an interview mentions that, he has his patients journal their dreams-nightmares; and he says he observes a noticeable healing simply from this exercise.

And for nightmares, there is this technique that you write new endings to them. Preferably, one nice ending to your favor:) -expectedly:)

To remember a dream, as@see_on_see said, the very first thing when you wake up, stay gently calm and try not to move your attention to 'reality':) right away, let the dream make its point for a second. It really helps. 

If you don't remember a thing and you want to do so, sometimes interestingly what works is this: say (-you don't need to believe it-) "thanks, I remembered my dream" and don't try to remember anything. Just say the sentences and move on. Anything related to your day or your consciousness' needs, will pop up.

And what might work is to put some bay leafs under your pillow or your bed. Like 4-5 leafs. It might give you a crystal clear memory and they generally help dream nicely.

And if you can let me know if any of those works or not, I'll be very happy to hear your experiences:)) sweet dreams tonight:)) I'll send some enchanted shinny clovers to your dream tonight:)) try to find them;)) it's really fun:))

Edited by Sevi

@Sevi @see_on_see Thanks to you both, so much!!! So, a really weird monkey-mind phenomenon has happened. Since I finally committed to experiencing the nightmares, something reminiscent of ego backlash has occurred. The second I wake up I am literally flooded with problems, to do's, judgements etc. It comes instantly, out of nowhere, and with tremendous (seeming) urgency. I can eventually get these handled, but by that point, I am very far from any potential dream memories. 

I try to lie there for a while and use the techniques for remembering but I have a four year old child, so it's not an easy task. When I first started the sleep hypnosis it worked all too well! Now, it doesn't assist my recall at all. I've tried 3 new styles of hypnosis and none appear to be working. I will try the bay leaves, and look for clovers...I will try the envisioned gratitude...and write down anything at all...I will be optimistic that I am stronger than these new ego tactics to repress my recall....I am grateful for your help!