Colin

Watching Everything At 2x Speed

10 posts in this topic

I have been watching all videos and and listening to all audio books and 2x speed and I feel like it has blown open the doors for allowing me to learn more quickly and explore content I would shy away from because of length. A very cool trick. I used to be averse to listen at such speeds, but now I have found it to be quite an asset. I have heard myths of people listening at 3x speed, but that is a little too fast for me to keep track of what is being said.

There is a great chrome extension that allows to easily change the speed on any video. 

The kingdom of heaven is within.

I like to vary the speeds according to the need. If I'm trying to expose myself to as much info as possible I speed things up 2x, 3x, etc.

If I'm trying to take it the information and process on a deep level, I'll take it a normal speed, pause, rewind, and think over things.

I'd recommend playing around and see how different things work for you.

@Colin Hi 

Its not about how fast We can hear the information, because knowledge and information are everywhere,

Its about applying the knowledge into Our lives and that takes time,

@username

On 11/12/2017 at 2:44 AM, username said:

I like to vary the speeds according to the need. If I'm trying to expose myself to as much info as possible I speed things up 2x, 3x, etc.

If I'm trying to take it the information and process on a deep level, I'll take it a normal speed, pause, rewind, and think over things.

I'd recommend playing around and see how different things work for you.

Yeah that sounds wise and adaptable.@Star Net

On 11/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Caterpillar said:

Maybe this works for some people but when I do it I feel like I'm not absorbing the information. 

@Caterpillar  Yes. I was thinking better to at least be exposed to the information. Then, if it catches root and develops into something, I will be all the better for it. But of course there is more to learning than just being exposed to the information.

On 11/12/2017 at 7:07 AM, Star Net said:

The kingdom of heaven is within.

I think most books, video's and audio's can be glossed over. It's more about the core concepts and has a lot of fluff around it. Some products do require full attention for me. Deep dense information flies over your head when you hear it at 2 times speed.

Like reading a book and getting lost in thought. You read a page but totally forgot what was on it.

Sometimes the real meaning lay in the details. For instance if you are listening to a course of mathematics, you might be tempted to jump directly to the formulas. However the trivial examples are necessary to "get a first feeling" of an object or a theory.

Also I find it difficult for the brain to be 100% active when watching a video. You might miss important information. I understand people saying that they play with different speed to judge if the information is vital or not. I do that also. But not for the first time listening. The "calm" period with no vital explanation let me think and understand about what I heard before.

To conclude, watching/listening too fast seems (to me) like searching to write down the only and one truth / secret formula. However the real meaning would be the questions that arise when you take time to understand.

I am the total opposite of this :D

Sometimes I might spend 5 minutes on a sentence and before I know it I become so creative that I find myself writing insights after insights.

Learning = Observation vibes.

On the other hand, when I think about watching videos on 2x speed I get the "multitasking" feeling. As though it takes away the "beginner's mind".

Edited by Serge

I feel like internalizing the information and applying it in my life on a practical level is more important than cramming through large amounts of facts.

Depends on my mood and who's speaking. Sometimes I speed up, sometimes I slow down.

For example, if I am rewatching some of Leo's content then I speed up 2x and turn on subtitles, but if I am watching a course by someone that I see first time and I am tired then I slow down to 0.75x.

The point is to make it enjoyable. :)