beastmode

What % Of People Do Personal Development?

14 posts in this topic

So far this stuff seems like having super powers to me!

Leo says that not too many people do PD work, and even fewer do it properly and get something out of it.

What's your best guess for how many people outside this Acutalized forum genuinely understand and use Leo's concepts?

@beastmode 99% of people in society are mediocrity zombies. So the percentage of people excelling in anything -- let alone consciousness (the hardest thing to excel at) -- is of course super low, but that doesn't say much. The bar is set very low at this point in human civilization.

Which is good news for you in a way. It's easy to rise above the herd with a bit of wisdom, intelligence, and heart.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Shiva Yes, we ultimately want to raise the entire herd with us. But when you're starting off, it does feel nice for the ego to see itself doing relatively better than others.

And also, it's good to rise above the mediocrity and low consciousness which the herd represents. If not for that -- if all the chimps were rising above you -- higher consciousness would have no hope at all.

You are humanity's last hope before we kill ourselves ;)

We also do care that we don't suffer and fall prey to the stupidities of the herd. For example, it's nice to know that you don't get drunk every weekend and suffer a hangover like all your friend do. It shows you that you're doing something right and that your wisdom is paying off. Otherwise you might get discouraged and join the debauchery. You can take a little bit of pride in that. Although of course it would be a trap to get cocky about it.

@Leo Gura Can be kinda off-topic, but I just wonder. It's so easy to see low consciousness, but what about people with high consciousness who are quite reserved? is there a practical way for us to realize people with high consciousness even if they don't want to share it? 

@Pelin There are plenty of teachers sharing and demonstrating high consciousness. Go pay them a visit in person or on YouTube. They will be happy to see you. Most of them are starving for eyeballs and barely paying their bills.

Why try to get blood from a stone when it's flowing freely over there?

@Leo Gura haha, I just wanted to know if there are some really valuable people around me but maybe I'm missing the chance to actually connect with them on a deeper level. I already watch too many videos on YouTube :) But if I had a chance to visit a guru I probably wouldn't miss it. Kinda difficult to find some real genuine people here in the middle east.

@Maxx May I also add it seems like many people who throw a lot of criticism towards self help and more specifically self help books practice self help themselves but call it something else. A lot of people who are into philosophy do this.  

@beastmode @Pelin I've noticed that in certain circles, in certain geographical regions, you can find bubbles where a larger percentage of people are into PD (such as ayahuasca folks, etc). There may even be entire communities now. @Leo Gura Yes, I do actually adore not getting drunk every weekend (or worse) like many of my friends are still doing, thanks for the reminder! Yeah, the mediocre thing makes my skin crawl...I went on a huge rant about it once....because to me, a mediocre/ low consciousness lifestyle = giving up on any real value in life...

i disagree with Leo. Most people in society do some sort of low level personal development. 99% of people are looking for a promotion, more money, doing up their hair, getting better grades. If you want evidence just look up the harvard business review. Heaps and heaps and heaps of people are competitively trying to increase their skill in business.

the business world is tough, making a successful startup is hard, being a ceo isnt achieved by  everyone, precisely because heaps of people do personal development unconsciously or informally.

Look at how well structured political speeches are, how well marketing campaigns are designed. The people personal development skills needed for that is absolutely astonishing. Obama did heaps of social personal development to get into office.

Heaps of people are fit, every personal development stream is highly competitive.

The self help category is an entire section in every library. Self help is just as big as the science fiction reading section. Its a multimillion dollar business just in itself.

Like what Alan Watts said, personal development is ingrained in the American culture.

But hardly anyone attempts to achieve spiritual growth,, thats where 99% of people are failing. And this isnt good, its bad. it means theres less gurus to guide you on the spiritual path. 

Infact 99% of spiritual people dont even do spirituality properly. 

And dont think this is a good ego boost, the point of spirituality is to get off the hook of ego gratification. its to stop playing the ego game all together. theres no room to feel special in that environment. No one is jealous of an old, smelly, illiterate, poor sage sitting in a mountain cave in the himalayas. If your friends were all like that, you wouldnt be jealous or feel threatened, you would be relieved that they arent pressuring you to go drinking every weekend, and instead just want to give you a positive influence to get closer to god. 

Edited by electroBeam

The situation is very grime for most people. 1/3rd of Americans are at the poverty line. Most people have serious problems with sleeping, fucking, working, consuming, and not giving a fuck. Most people works jobs they hate, barely paying the bills, and can barely get laid, as we see with all these sexual abuse cases in the news. People go to deperate measures to get laid.

I would bet that 90%+ people haven't ever read a self-help book in their lives. Which means they have no hope of really growing themselves in the right direction.

Let him that would move the world first move himself. 

Personal Development is a road

Personal Development = Changing habits

Changing habits = Learning 

Learning = Education + Practicing + Observation

Discipline and Continuation is needed all the road

So in My opinion 0.1% if not less will walk in this road, Because most of People will choose what they think is comfort, But in reality they are choosing the most difficult way to live the life, If We can call their lives a life without personal development.

I would think that with the help of internet and all the knowledge being easily available that would change massively but i don't know of anyone in my life that attempts to want to do some internal work and that makes it harder for me as well i think.

I know guys that take up some personal development work mostly on working out really hard and getting ripped, working hard, getting disciplined which is good right?

And after that falling victim to ego issue's, i feel the rat race then is still there and nothing is achieved really, i do see that a lot but i think that is doing self development at like 30%.

Awareness, value's, introspecting the spiritual work is still missing.

@electroBeam Scrolling up as i write this down u beat me to it! that are my thoughts about it too 

U know eating healthy, exercise discipline is what the Nazi's preached as well so clearly its not enough and the rat race is bad as ever.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:34 AM, beastmode said:

So far this stuff seems like having super powers to me!

Leo says that not too many people do PD work, and even fewer do it properly and get something out of it.

What's your best guess for how many people outside this Acutalized forum genuinely understand and use Leo's concepts?

@beastmode  Hey there - my guess is NOT many.  I'm so very new, with just a few months of meditation under my belt, BUT... I have only found one single person that I can discuss this topic with.  Well, I could talk nutrition, exercise, habits, etc with many - but the mental work of consciousness, awareness, ego... I only have one acquaintance that has a clue.  SO - in my short beginning of my journey that's not many. 

The stuff that @electroBeam is talking about is what many americans do, like Alan Watts said.  Chimp stuff imo. Ego gratifying personal development that results in worldly "success" and "achievement".  Many do that, yes of course.  

But, as far as digging down the core of who you are, the observer of the thoughts, and working toward that level of awareness and consciousness  I do not feel there are many out there.  BUT when you see that person, you will know, just like I did.  I spent years upon years of being anxious, fearful and just an american mess of going and doing without even a moment of stillness.  Now that I'm working to change that, I can really see it manifested in other people, and I feel compassion for them.  I know that it sounds weird, but it tugs on my heart to see those people suffering as I did... and they don't even know it. 

I'm so new here, and new on my journey as well. But, I'd say lots of folks do PD to develop the ego.  Not many do PD to actually get beyond the ego