Buba

Is Suicide Sometimes Inevitable?

15 posts in this topic

Do you think, that there can be such intense emotional or physical pain that, anybody, no matter how much willpower he or she has or how much enlightened he or she is, would commit suicide?

Asked myself the same tbh. Because I am in that exact situation.

I recommend Teal Swan to you guys, she is the only spiritual teacher I know who actually has the balls to talk about suicide.
I don't think that is the case, because I experienced that intense pain fade in a matter of 20 minutes after Teal Swans Completion Process, everything changed from this point on my feelings, behaviour and thinking, literally like I would have gone back in time with a time machine and changed my future.
I guess there might be exceptions for people who are physically bound to the pain, but there might be other possibilities I just don't know of to overcome it. Althought I have to say that pain is just pain, you are the ones who make it to be suffering with your thinking, I am at a point where I am capable of loving my pain, atleast the relatively mild pain that was left after the process, thus I don't have it anymore because there is no resistance.

3 hours ago, LaucherJunge said:

I recommend Teal Swan to you guys, she is the only spiritual teacher I know who actually has the balls to talk about suicide.
I don't think that is the case, because I experienced that intense pain fade in a matter of 20 minutes after Teal Swans Completion Process, everything changed from this point on my feelings, behaviour and thinking, literally like I would have gone back in time with a time machine and changed my future.
I guess there might be exceptions for people who are physically bound to the pain, but there might be other possibilities I just don't know of to overcome it. Althought I have to say that pain is just pain, you are the ones who make it to be suffering with your thinking, I am at a point where I am capable of loving my pain, atleast the relatively mild pain that was left after the process, thus I don't have it anymore because there is no resistance.

Thank you very much LaucherJunge. I will definitely read her book. However to be honest I cant imagine what can make me feel good. Because the life itself seems grey and nothing draws my interest at those horrible moments when I think about suicide. No success, money or anything external can make me even slightly better. I feel emptiness and meaninglessness inside. 

@Buba perhaps abandoning your current live and joining a Buddhist community in South-East Asia would be transformation. I know how cliche this sounds. But I'm not talking about the eat-prey-love bullcrap. I' talking about re-discovering your true humanity, learning to enjoy the tiniest things like refilling a water bucket from well and feeling the grass on your bare feet or collecting wood for the fire. Spending next 5 years of your life there in exchange for work you would get served food and spend most of your days in silent meditation, house chores or some kind of spiritual practice. 

Personally at this stage, I could not imagine doing that but if I felt suicidal and that my life just couldn't get any worse, perhaps I would consider leaving everything behind. 

Just a suggestion...there are stories of people who have done that and returned completely changed, i love with life. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

If I lost complete eyesight + all my hearing, i.e. no visual input nor audio input from the external world, then I would probably take the rope.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

Suffering in high doses can literally be paralysing, so you can't kill yourself even if you want nothing else.  Although over a long period of time you starve so you die anyway, unless forcedfeed 

Edited by Spiral

Willpower in a particular direction with a motive to alleviate suffering will further intensify any conflict, contradiction, and amplify psychological suffering. Willpower implys control, suppression, or to cover or escape the problem by a movment of concentratration. In this case to escape from the fact ”what is” because the pain and sorrow is unbearable. In this escape we seek any way possible to gain a sense security from the reaction to that fact. This movment is a manifestation of the ego “thought”, to protect.  What we do is avoid the problem because the pain and sorrow is to much. So we try to control what we think about to prevent that particular thought from reacuring...Through this movment of thought there is also an imposition to begin the process of introspection. The problem with this is thoughts in there very nature are the entity trying to impose this concentrated attempt to alleviate suffering with willpower. How can willpower be used to suppress impulses and thoughts that cause suffering when the entity that suffers is those very thoughts?  

Willpower used in the psychological realm seems to be a never ending battle to get through conflict and suffering. Instead of trying to control, suppress, inhibit, our impulses, thoughts, and feelings, maybe we should use the art of attentiveness rather than concentration. To simply watch and learn the total movment of thought “The ME”. Not escape the pain, but watch it. 

If we are our thoughts doesn’t this imply that the controller is the controlled? And if this is the case what option is there to be free of this suffering if that is part of what we are?  Should we control, escape, and never see or learn this movement as a whole from the beginning to end? Or should we simply watch this movment of suffering objectively without escaping? 

Through objective observation maybe we will see that when the observer is the observed there is nothing we can do but watch anyway. 

I know how being suicidal can be. I got into it, and out of it. I'm not a hundred percent sure this will work for everyone. But basically I choose to see a part of my mind as a bunch of beliefs. Whenever I feel or have an opinion towards anything. I see it based off a belief. When your sort of worried because you don't care about anything in life, It shows you don't give a shit about life, or anything. I assume its a belief, that this is actually my current viewpoint on reality. 

That when you don't care you have a reason for it

A belief is changeable (check out Leo's video on affirmations or visualizations) It also affects your mood. And a belief is based off information you believe (meaning that information could be false or proved wrong.) To prove this to you if you don't believe me, or don't quite get it. If I told you your mother died, and you started crying, and then right after told you I was joking, there might be a big emotional wound based off false information.

See when your suicidal its usually because you think something horrible happened or is happening to you. And if try even at the smallest level to notice your thoughts and choose to think this way, it might snowball, and you might level up in the area of self-talk. If you choose to think in this way, to know that your moods based off a belief, then you can control yourself better, you can argue with yourself. I've gotten really good at killing my negative emotions with logic, mostly because of Leo's videos though.

And I mean don't believe everything I say. Because sometimes negative emotions happen for uncontrollable reasons. Like when I'm hungry and my stomach is digesting itself I feel bad, and I'm pretty sure you can't just change that (though maybe that's what enlightenment does?...)

Well anyways, there is my advice

Suicide is pointless, sadly most people never get the experience to realize why until its too late :/

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Buba Wow...now THAT is a deep, deep question that I believe is beyond philosophical. As a Psychology student, I am really intriguied and had been wondering that myself but didn't articualte it till I read your post ! :o

yes been there , done that ...

i used to be very depressed and hopeless , I was filled with many dark thoughts and tried on many occasions to leave my body by force ( taking my own life), I always have been a believer in God but was not praying or practicing anything spiritual at that point . As I prepared to drink some booze and cut my wrists , a question came into my mind , 'If God put you on this Earth , why would you want to kill yourself"? I realized how crazy my plan was, of course if God put us here , we should be here. That was the last time I ever tried to harm myself. So I believe that this pertains to everybody else as well. I also had to find a few good therapist that made all he difference in the world , they helped me see that most my thoughts about myself were wrong.

On ‎02‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 0:48 PM, Buba said:

I cant imagine what can make me feel good. Because the life itself seems grey and nothing draws my interest at those horrible moments when I think about suicide. No success, money or anything external can make me even slightly better. I feel emptiness and meaninglessness inside. 

From taking various kinds of drugs, I learned how malleable my emotional experience and my perspective on life are. When I got into personal development, health and spirituality, I learned that there are tons of possibilities to increase the quality of my life. I tried out a bunch and saw that it works. I actually don't get how people can still think about suicide after being confronted with all this theory.

What's your life situation like, what do you do all day?

I'm gonna make a prediction: You will move through your situation and later think how unnecessary it would have been to commit suicide.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:54 PM, HII said:

From taking various kinds of drugs, I learned how malleable my emotional experience and my perspective on life are. When I got into personal development, health and spirituality, I learned that there are tons of possibilities to increase the quality of my life. I tried out a bunch and saw that it works. I actually don't get how people can still think about suicide after being confronted with all this theory.

What's your life situation like, what do you do all day?

I'm gonna make a prediction: You will move through your situation and later think how unnecessary it would have been to commit suicide.

I have never attempted to commit a suicide, but I am in a constant torture, which I am getting fed up of. It has been almost 12 years. 

I work, study online courses, exercise sometimes. Outside nobody knows what I endure, if I am not in crisis when the pain manifests itself outside as well (me crying or dry heaving and etc).