Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

"experience Is A Hard School, But A Fool Will Learn No Other Way."

9 posts in this topic

"Experience is a hard school, but a fool will learn no other way." i disagree with this proverb. it should be experience is a hard school, but only smart people are willing to pursue it. A fool avoids it for the words of others

you never learn truly by just reading off someone elses words. youre not enlightened just because you adopted someones view about it. you only truly learn after experience

1 hour ago, electroBeam said:

"Experience is a hard school, but a fool will learn no other way." i disagree with this proverb. it should be experience is a hard school, but only smart people are willing to pursue it. A fool avoids it for the words of others

you never learn truly by just reading off someone elses words. youre not enlightened just because you adopted someones view about it. you only truly learn after experience

Everything is expirience, even an idea. So why can you not learn from an idea? If you read about history you learn a lot, do you propose for us to make the same mistakes again so that we have an expirience we can learn from?

If your father died as a soldier, do you really need to join the army so that you can learn to avoid war? I think the proverb is very wise, because it actually is true, whether you like it or not. Most people will not be wise until life has punished them into wisdom. Is it wise to waste your life until you happen to have an existential crisis, or is it wise to forsee the existential crisis and waste no time? Most people seem to know that buddhist monks are among the happiest human beings that live on this planet, and yet only the expirience of life might make them actually follow that path. 

The unfortunate thing is that most people will not have the expirience, and that is why it is foolish to hope for it to come. Yet, because we are all fools, it is really the only thing most of us can hope for.

Glory to Israel

A fool with a smart approach is still a fool. I don't see any contadiction. Doesn't it feel good sometimes to realise you are just an ignorant lazy moron, which you are? ;) 

45 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Everything is expirience, even an idea. So why can you not learn from an idea? 

well dreaming about flying a plane doesnt make you a pilot. 

And you dont know if monks are the happiest people in the world. youre just assuming they are because thats what everyone else thinks. the only way you would truly know is if you had direct experience of that being the case. 

infact enlightenment has a 50% chance of being a scam and the majority of people on here hold it as a fact, even though they no idea if its true or not

1 minute ago, electroBeam said:

well dreaming about flying a plane doesnt make you a pilot. 

And you dont know if monks are the happiest people in the world. youre just assuming they are because thats what everyone else thinks. the only way you would truly know is if you had direct experience of that being the case. 

infact enlightenment has a 50% chance of being a scam and the majority of people on here hold it as a fact, even though they no idea if its true or not

I didn't say flying a plane makes you a pilot and I didn't say monks are the happiest people in the world. I think you are trying to disagree for the sake of disagreement.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

@electroBeam You gotta learn to read the intent of the proverb, not to read it literally. You are using the word "experience" in a different context with a different meaning.

"Experience" here should be read more like "suffering".

Finger pointing to the moon.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think it's a good saying. I also think you can be take it literally, and it would still work just fine.

On ٣١‏/١٠‏/٢٠١٧ at 2:10 PM, electroBeam said:

@electroBeam Hi

I think what the proverb means is that

The fool could not learn anything without putting Himself or Herself in sufferings, and that is why the proverb call that person a fool,

In the other hand the smart people have other ways to learn and They do not have to be in suffering all the time to learn, And They learn before problems (Suffering) take place and They can avoid that problems from taking a place in Their lives, and They learn from the experiences and Sufferings of other People without putting Themselves in the same sufferings and experiences all the time.

So I think the proverb is Right 

Greetings .........