Huginn

Essential Tests For Overall Health Status

14 posts in this topic

Currently, I'm in the process of eliminating some autoimmune issues (dermatitis symptom). So far, I've gone from a primal/paleo (~ 7 months) to paleo AIP diet (~2 months and counting) and recently I ditched all animal products except fish/seafood because I can't find other quality animal sources around here. I'm waiting to add in more things like quality bone broth powder and more. I'm at a point where I can keep my dermatitis stable and if it's receding, it's super slow.

I haven't really checked my overall health status though or done any tests, and I recently got concerned about whether I might have heavy metal toxicity or some other things I need to detox from from years of "average" diet. I'm not super knowledgeable about kind of the essential tests and health checkups I might want to do to get my overall health status, a starting point from where I can start to troubleshoot. I recently found out about hair analysis for example for heavy metal toxicity check, but I've no idea if it has good enough coverage of other things I might want to check.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good set of essential tests to start troubleshooting from?

Maybe you could start with a standard blood test at your local doctor office? Not sure how it works where you live, but when I did it i had to call them after a few weeks to get them to send me the results because when a person is in general good health and none of the values are outside the "normal" parameters you don't hear anything from them. Sadly the medical industry is focused on fire extinguishing and not prevention. When you get the result you will most likely not understand what the numbers mean, but just search the web and see what ranges you shoul be in and compare to what your test say.

Another thing I want to test for my self is pH value. I think that is an important test.

For a general good diet you want to at least avoid meat as much as possible. You also want to avoid processed foods as much as you can.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:47 PM, Huginn said:

dermatitis symptom

my fiancée had this.

get rid of sugar, alcohol and dairy ASAP.

find ways to unblock your emotions. emotional blockages f*** up your liver.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

6 hours ago, Yellow said:

Maybe you could start with a standard blood test at your local doctor office? Not sure how it works where you live, but when I did it i had to call them after a few weeks to get them to send me the results because when a person is in general good health and none of the values are outside the "normal" parameters you don't hear anything from them. Sadly the medical industry is focused on fire extinguishing and not prevention. When you get the result you will most likely not understand what the numbers mean, but just search the web and see what ranges you shoul be in and compare to what your test say.

Another thing I want to test for my self is pH value. I think that is an important test.

For a general good diet you want to at least avoid meat as much as possible. You also want to avoid processed foods as much as you can.

Don't they test for different things in different blood tests? I'm not sure if they would test for all the "essential" stuff I'm after.

I could talk to a doctor, but I'm a bit skeptical as to whether their advice and definition of "essential" would be what I'm looking for. Similar to what you say, I get the impression from my sources that the run of the mill doctors will have a very different approach than what I'm after: the more functional medicine preventative and natural approach. I could try to find a functional medicine doctor, but I'm not optimistic about finding one in a small town in Norway. I might check out those possibilities anyway, just to see.

So what tests I know of is a blood test and hair tissue mineral analysis. Maybe both are perfectly valid in testing the areas where they overlap. I've no idea of the advantages or disadvantages of each. Guess I'll have to do more research on this.

57 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

my fiancée had this.

get rid of sugar, alcohol and dairy ASAP.

find ways to unblock your emotions. emotional blockages f*** up your liver.

I never eat sugar, drink alcohol or eat dairy. But I'm not entirely sure whether I still have emotional blockages. I've definitely cleared up a lot over the past year or so. I'm not in contact with people almost at all though, so that might be something. Loneliness, even though I don't 'feel' it very keenly. Some anxiety maybe over a generally uncertain future at the moment. I've just become pretty good at regulating such things with meditation and other routines so I don't feel they're an issue. Could be I'm not 'releasing' those emotions properly but rather blocking them. Might be something to look into.

@Huginn Ok so you actually live in the same country as me then. Whats the odds for that? hehe. I think you can talk to your local doctor. He will probably put in the tests that he thinks are relevant, but as long as you actually have some problem you will probably get more tests than I got. I just wanted a blood test to see some "stats" about my health, but since I didnt have any pains or problems with anything he only wanted to give me a basic test. But remember to call them in a few weeks when the results have come in so that you can tell them to send it to you. If none of the values are outside their normal-ranges you won't hear anything from them.

As long as you have the results you can at least use the web to figure out what the different numbers mean and make your own decition if you think the values need to be fixed or not.

@Yellow Funny coincidence. :)

Yes, I guess I'll look into that. I can list a number of possible hypotheses from my personal research and hand them over. Based on that, they might make the appropriate tests.

So to answer my question, I guess a blood test is just staple?

Edited by Huginn

I would recommend genetic testing through 23andme. This can do a lot to uncover things you wouldn't see with blood tests.

@dustylocks Makes sense. I  also donated my DNA for research purposes a while back, so I could check to see what they've found so far.

Blood tests and genetic testing.

Edited by Huginn

You also need to take some psychological tests. Test your level of anxiety, how often you experience negative emotions and why, certain phobias etc.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu Good point. How would you take psychological tests?

I've recently been "testing" myself psychologically, on my own and getting my meditation straight. Turns out I was not doing it quite right. I mostly forgot to bring it into daily life, letting a huge amount of self-criticism, others criticism and self-centeredness among other things reign as regular thought patterns. Thankfully, I at least acquired the mental strength in my meditation to quickly turn this around. I feel much better than when I started this topic and I keep improving. I've a feeling this is going to help with my dermatitis problem, we'll see about that.

@Huginn I've found some great ones. One is the Dark Triad Test, which measures your level of narcissism, machiavelianism an psychopathy.

Another, more comprehensive one is the one Tai Lopez has on his website (hurry up before he starts charging for it), which is arguably the best one on the internet at the moment. 

It has several tests merged into one (Including the Myers-Briggs and Hexaco). It analyzes things like your level of honesty, anxiety, fearfullness, your level of anxiety in relationships, possible careers according to your personality profile, your level of conscientiousness (orderliness, industriousness, organization), patience etc.

These two tests should give you a very good assessment of what your brain looks like right now.

After you take them, start fixing what seems to be on the high end, but also those on the very low end (like confidence and courage for example, if you score below 50). 

If you score very high in anxiety, get that checked out or start working on it yourself. Also, if you score very high in agreeableness, there might be a high possibility that you are not assertive enough and that people will tend to take advantage of you. That can also be worked on.

I hope this helps. 

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Thanks. Will check it out in case I've a blindspot from my own perspective.

Two words my friend: Dr. Morse.

Leading a life astray from nature's way inevitably produces negative effects. 

These negative effects are simply your body's way of reminding you that you're doing something wrong, or ortherwise what is optimal for you.

Fortunately, if you live according to nature's design, you can be sure you'll be rewarded from positive effects in the form of robust health.

I invite you to search for your issue on Dr. Morse's YouTube channel and explore the truth for yourself :)