How to be wise

Overcoming Addiction

7 posts in this topic

This week I was trying to overcome my addictions by just sitting down and doing nothing for the whole day. But each day, after 4 or so hours, I got to the point where I was too restless and I gave up doing nothing. I tried it for two more days, but I failed in both. I realised that Leo's technique, which was to sit down and do nothing until your addiction goes is not a very practical one, and most of us won't be able to do it. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to get rid of addictions? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

From my experience its understanding where the addiction is coming from and overcoming it intellectually, having something better to do, having a life purpose, when you think about the addiction you want to commit, you think about your life purpose and it overpowers it, i dunno.

@How to be wise you can start loving now, or you can procrastinate. I meditate, exercise, eat healthy, and love everything & everyone everyday. When I fall short, it’s because of me, so I learn and expand. Then I get back to it. You will either start with simple small changes towards wanted, or you will make things so hard for yourself that you have no choice but to begin the practices of health & spirituality. It will work out either way. The Path is obviously easier. 

You’re already making progress. You chose to try something new. Keep doing that. When you’ve had enough, punch out for the day. Be done.    Sleep, meditate, focus on wanted life. Allow your meaning of ‘connection’ to develop and change. I love you, and good luck. You walked yourself into this, you can walk yourself out. Sometimes it sucks balls. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@How to be wise Of course that technique of doing nothing will not cure your addiction instantly. But by the fact that you did that 4 hrs of sitting, you have already made a good stride towards curing it. By sitting there, you were becoming conscious of it. Even by failing to sit there, you became more conscious of it.

It will take more of this kind of back and forth, on and off, for you to get consciousness enough to stop it, or at least reduce it significantly.

Curing an addiction is no easy thing. It's also important to find some other healthy activity to replace it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@How to be wise

I don't know what addiction you have but I have found that a linear process of awareness does not solve anything. When you're addicted you get physical urges. You don't get these urges for 5 hours every day. You get them at certain times during the day and the week. You might get an urge that lasts for 10 minutes every 3 days. and in this 10 minute period you have to apply and amplify your awareness  or the addiction Will be maintained. Stay in neutrality mode. Nothing in reality is inherently positive or negative. Only when you start constructing meaning out of something as being more or less valuable, you'll fall into the trap. If you stay in neutrality mode for long enough, the urge Will pass. When it passes find an alternative way to realease dopamine in your brain so it gets rewired.

urge.png

14 hours ago, AleksM said:

@How to be wise

I don't know what addiction you have but I have found that a linear process of awareness does not solve anything. When you're addicted you get physical urges. You don't get these urges for 5 hours every day. You get them at certain times during the day and the week. You might get an urge that lasts for 10 minutes every 3 days. and in this 10 minute period you have to apply and amplify your awareness  or the addiction Will be maintained. Stay in neutrality mode. Nothing in reality is inherently positive or negative. Only when you start constructing meaning out of something as being more or less valuable, you'll fall into the trap. If you stay in neutrality mode for long enough, the urge Will pass. When it passes find an alternative way to realease dopamine in your brain so it gets rewired.

urge.png

What do you mean by neutrality mode?

How do you release dopamine in your brain? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise

Neutral = you don't react in a certain circumstance or to a thought that pops up.

When you react, forgive yourself, the best is to put it into writing, analyze your reaction by writing about it. Where have you been when you reacted, what people were around, how you felt, what you did (start with, I forgive myself).... Then write a commitment for self-correction. (" start with I commit to...")

You release dopamine by for example: going for a walk, doing some push-ups, gym, exercise, preparing a good meal, hiking...

This article has a good list of ways to release dopamine. http://www.feedtherightwolf.org/2009/08/67-healthy-and-funthings-to-do-in-your/