Ariel

How Do You Manage To Take Notes On Leo's Videos?

11 posts in this topic

I started watching videos and taking notes to review them later. I find it really difficult. How do you manage to take notes?

I find it pretty hard to listen, to write and to understand. I also sometimes don't have enough time to write what I wanted to write. It takes time to process everything. It's pretty tough.

What are your experiences?

32 minutes ago, Scholar said:

I don't think it really works. The book part is pretty good, but the lecture part is not really.

Think about it, you go thourgh a 2 hour lecture, do you think you'll remember anything after 2 hours? After your mind was busy with other information? I really don't know. Same applies to Leo's videos. Let's take for example his video that I was currently struggeling with "The Big Picture Of Self-Actualization", there are more than 20 components, how  am I supposed to remember then after 50 minutes?

19 minutes ago, Ariel said:

I don't think it really works. The book part is pretty good, but the lecture part is not really.

Think about it, you go thourgh a 2 hour lecture, do you think you'll remember anything after 2 hours? After your mind was busy with other information? I really don't know. Same applies to Leo's videos. Let's take for example his video that I was currently struggeling with "The Big Picture Of Self-Actualization", there are more than 20 components, how  am I supposed to remember then after 50 minutes?

You're not supposed to remember them after 50 minutes. You can watch the video as many times as you want. 

The important part is to learn to actually pay attention and think about what he is saying while he is saying it, so that you actually "learn" what he is saying instead of just copying his words. If you cannot remember anything after having watched the video, what did you even do?

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

8 minutes ago, Scholar said:

You're not supposed to remember them after 50 minutes. You can watch the video as many times as you want. 

The important part is to learn to actually pay attention and think about what he is saying while he is saying it, so that you actually "learn" what he is saying instead of just copying his words. If you cannot remember anything after having watched the video, what did you even do?

So let's say I understood what he said, I listened, I thought and I understood. I'm still not gonna remember what he said. You're saying I should understand it good and then write what I remember/think?

Pause video and take notes, but it will be time consuming and a bit boring. 

I think there is no easy way to do, like everything in life. If you want to lose weight, you should go gym and on a diet. The problem is do you really want to do that? 

For example, if I paid you big for your notes, you would take notes without frusturation. Is it worth it? 

1 hour ago, Ariel said:

So let's say I understood what he said, I listened, I thought and I understood. I'm still not gonna remember what he said. You're saying I should understand it good and then write what I remember/think?

You should more fundamentally learn the process of remembering and being able to recall what someone said. If you do not have that ability, it's probably because you simply haven't trained yourself to do so.

You have to learn to remember, but if you never actually excersise that ability, you will be bad at it. The writing part is more of the process of making sure that you actually did understand and remember what was said.

Glory to Israel

I started an unpublished wordpress blog just as a note taking device, I can have a video open in one window and the blog in another. If I hear something that resonates with me I make it the title of a new blog, write a couple bullet points, then close it and come back later. Plus then I can access it on a different device and I don't have to worry about files getting lost or somebody I don't want looking at it.

I'm taking 3 or 4 bullet points from his videos and then I can use them as writing prompts from which to add my own reflections. The last one I listened to was "You're Not Happy Because You Don't Really Want To Be" so that stimulated a lot of thoughts in my head about ways that might be true for me, but I need to flesh it out. I am finding that there is a lot to digest. I don't try to take notes on everything, because there are some topics that I feel don't apply to my current life situation, but if I listen to one that really describes where I'm at, then I like to make some notes.

Edited by Clay Basket

@Ariel the skill your developing when going through this process is separating the gold from the gotten. In the beginning there's gonna be a lot of gold and your gonna have to spend a lot of time sorting through that. Its basically a process of 3 steps back, 3 steps forward and developing a taste for that, that is what the understanding process is, and as soon as you start getting on board with the repeating and repeating and repeating, going back, going back and going back, the more you'll surrender to it, the easier it will become.

Memento Mori

1. Watch video first time through once. No pausing. Write down most meaningful things to you. 

2. Before watching it a second time, write down everything you remember about the video and any thoughts you have/connections you make. 

3. Watch the video a second time, adding any additional thoughts or notes (pause when you really want to get the info down)

4. Combine it all into one nice sheet.

5. Watch the video one final time. No pausing.  Think about larger picture ideas and perspective/context. Add these thoughts to your notes. 

Hope this helps!

I watch the video, write down important things as I hear them. If I'm not understanding I will pause or replay that part. If I'm making notes that are more than one quick thing I will pause the video.

You can after the video think about how you will apply the given advice to your life. What practical steps will you take to live by it? You can do the pre-mortem technique as well (which Leo has a video on). It is another thing to just understand theory and act upon it. Not acting upon it at least just slows you down and makes the whole thing more of a struggle. Not every video can of course be very practically applied but it's worth it to think about it.

I don't necessarily make notes to review them later, I'm more focused on just writing down what I understand and find relevant. I do it especially to understand the concept better. I also have a list of tips for daily life collected from videos, especially if I'm frustrated or stuck. It also reminds of what I'm aiming for day to day and what my attitude could be like.