How to be wise

How To Live Life Without Any Thoughts.

36 posts in this topic

10,000+ hours of hardcore practice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You want practical tips? Man you are from London. Register for the Adyashanti retreat. Visit a Jan Esmann intensive. Go to Rupert Spira. Read Nisargadatta, Ramana. Apply their approach. Meditate and inquire. That is as practical as it is gonna get.

Start with twenty minutes a day with the "Do Nothing" technique.  Sit however you'd like, and when you get a thought just bring your focus back to no thought.  Don't get frustrated with yourself.  Just gently bring yourself back to no thought.  Increase the time when you notice that twenty minutes is starting to go by fairly quickly.  (Probably around second week increase time.)

Leo's suggested concentration technique was good as well.  Same process as above, almost, but as the thoughts arise, or whatever arises, it's labeled as either internal/external sight, sound, thought, etc.

I think the key to it is discipline.  Doing it everyday, and increasing the time.  

It's not that thoughts will just slowly vanish with these techniques, although it could appear that this is the case.  I believe it contributes to a certain level of awareness that seems required in this...search for no thought.

Simplicity - With which it is possible to be Generous. - Lao Tzu (1 of 3 treasures) 

Tin man.

When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human,
If I only had heart.
I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental
Regarding Love and Art.
I'd be friends with the sparrows ...
and the boys who shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart.
Picture me - a balcony. Above a voice sings low.
Wherefore art thou, Romeo? I hear a beat....
How sweet.
Just to register emotion, jealousy - devotion,
And really feel the part.
I could stay young and chipper
and I'd lock it with a zipper,
If I only had a heart.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:21 PM, How to be wise said:

I know that there have been some people in the past who have managed to stop all their thoughts and they lived their whole lives from that state. It's a pretty extraordinary thing to achieve, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to achieve that. Are there any practical ways to do it? 

The only method I know of is Raja Yoga. It's very difficult to practice. The goal of Raja yoga is samadhi which is cessation of mental activities. There are 8 limbs in Raja yoga: 1. yama (observances) 2. niyama (rules) 3. asana (posture) 4. prathyahara (don't know meaning) 5. pranayama (becoming one with breath) 6. dhyana (concentration) 7. dhara (don't know meaning) 8. samadhi (cessation of mental activities). I'm not going to write all the information here but you can find it at www.sacred-texts.com under Hinduism. 

Meditating everyday doesn't help if your life isn't very disciplined. That's why it's important to practice the yama and niyama for many years before meditating. When you succeed in the yama and niyama, the kundalini becomes activated in your spine. That's how you know you're on the right track. I've lived the low consciousness lifestyle before and I can say this is millions of times better. If you decide to practice it don't tell anyone. They won't understand you. 

Are you ready to impose this kind of discipline onto yourself? 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS 

21 hours ago, Deep said:

The only method I know of is Raja Yoga. It's very difficult to practice. The goal of Raja yoga is samadhi which is cessation of mental activities. There are 8 limbs in Raja yoga: 1. yama (observances) 2. niyama (rules) 3. asana (posture) 4. prathyahara (don't know meaning) 5. pranayama (becoming one with breath) 6. dhyana (concentration) 7. dhara (don't know meaning) 8. samadhi (cessation of mental activities). I'm not going to write all the information here but you can find it at www.sacred-texts.com under Hinduism. 

Meditating everyday doesn't help if your life isn't very disciplined. That's why it's important to practice the yama and niyama for many years before meditating. When you succeed in the yama and niyama, the kundalini becomes activated in your spine. That's how you know you're on the right track. I've lived the low consciousness lifestyle before and I can say this is millions of times better. If you decide to practice it don't tell anyone. They won't understand you. 

Are you ready to impose this kind of discipline onto yourself? 

Do you know any enlightened people who used this method?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Do you know any enlightened people who used this method?

Patanjali invented it. Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi, Kapiel, Buddha, and 100s of people who were sages used it. Most of the ancient sages were ascetics. Keep in mind it's not possible to stop thoughts 24/7 because you still have to interact with the world and do stuff. It's possible to stop thoughts during meditation. 

Edited by Deep
correction

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS 

2 hours ago, Deep said:

Patanjali invented it. Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi, Kapiel, Buddha, and 100s of people who were sages used it. Most of the ancient sages were ascetics. Keep in mind it's not possible to stop thoughts 24/7 because you still have to interact with the world and do stuff. It's possible to stop thoughts during meditation. 

Which book is it under 'Hinduism' in sacred texts.com?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I remember leo stating in an episode that the monkey mind is a force of nature, it can never be stopped but taimed. That's not quoted by the way just from the jist of what I remember. 

Found this one the other day on facebook (both don't teach nirvikalpa samadhi as the final state)

22780719_10155748319094631_6140761901595

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, How to be wise said:

I know that there have been some people in the past who have managed to stop all their thoughts and they lived their whole lives from that state. It's a pretty extraordinary thing to achieve, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to achieve that. Are there any practical ways to do it? 

Hi H,

A given sea is both calm AND wavy, so when you are aware that you are actually a sea, you are both calm (thoughtless) AND wavy (have thoughts).

So nothing has to be stopped.  

I think (just a thought) that picking our own thoughts is at the top of Maslow’s pyramid, and the way to go, even though it is ultimately illusory.  Personal thought accountability & ownership is on the path to samadhi. It begins to allow possibilities like enlightenment, by shedding the weight & confusion of unwanted thoughts. Then we can start to decipher illusion & reality.  I’m seeing people suffer so much by sticking with perspectives that they don’t even enjoy. That feeling should be taken as one hell of a blatant divine direction. I don’t see where it behooves us to be stubborn. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

A simpler visual representation..

thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, meditation, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, meditation, thinking, thinking, thinking, meditation, thinking, thinking, meditation, thinking, meditation, thinking, meditation, meditation, thinking, meditation, meditation, thinking, meditation, meditation, meditation, thinking, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, thinking, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, meditation, samadhi, holy shit it was me all along. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE