AleksM

Maharishi Effect - Group Meditations Lower City Crime Rate By 16% On Average

113 posts in this topic

@Mighty Mouse

The rate of change society is experiencing is raising exponentially, the question is only how aware you are of that. There is a big difference between this time we are being right now and the time of ancient egypt.  Don't underestimate the power of the internet.

Peace on earth ... perhaps all those meditators saved a mountain goat's ass ;)

Edited by snowleopard

@Mighty Mouse

The human condition can change quickly when you have Access to an unlimited amount of information. You can then make more informed decisions and that changes everything. In the past only the most powerful and influential people have gained Access to information.

@Leo Gura I can see what you’re saying makes sense due to some people making stupid threads.

What about sagehood? If everyone on the planet was a sage, will there be peace in your opinion?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@AleksM Money isn't exactly created out of thin air in actuality. Yes they can print as much as they like, but it has devastating consequences globally. Money is essentially an accounting system of real product. The central banks have a hard enough time maintaining this illusion of money, that is where most economically problems occur, when something cracks the illusion. The first world sustains such excess by essentially being indebted to their future self. Since the future self can't force payments or really exist, They are free to borrow as much as they want to produce as much as they can. "Can" is the key word, what happens when you have all this artificially induced money yet there isn't enough production to actually fill the demand created by taking debt from the "future". Also giving everyone a monthly allowance doesn't nessecarily mean they'll use it wisely, It is largely based on culture what happens to it. We could however, easily feed everyone on earth. First world countries' food prices as relatively low as they are, are artificially high. This much can be easily done. Raw capitalism would've destroyed food insecurity if not for government interference. 

@Leo Gura But everyone becomes enlightened, does that mean all suffering ends? Only though, I can't ever imagine being homeless, living on the streets in the cold and not suffering from that.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:45 AM, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura I can see what you’re saying makes sense due to some people making stupid threads.

What about sagehood? If everyone on the planet was a sage, will there be peace in your opinion?

Well, you have to contemplate the very nature of life to understand this idea of "world peace" and "no more evil".

Consider that to be alive one must destroy and kill. At the most fundamental level, life needs to take energy from other life in order to live because it is one, and so cannot get energy elsewhere.

Even if you somehow miraculously made every human a sage, all those sages would still need to kill to live. Even if they all became vegans, human cities still kill millions of animals just with their footprint alone. So this "world peace" wouldn't really be world peace, it would be peace for 1 species out of millions of other species. The only way you could call it "peace" is by saying "no other being's suffering matters but humans". Which wouldn't be a very sage-like position.

The true sage understands that suffering, inequality, death, and "evil" are absolutely necessary, making his peace with that fact, rather than trying to turn the world into a hippie Care Bear kingdom, where nobody's farts stink.

Reality is brutal and impersonal. It will find ways to fuck your peace. What happens when robots rise up and exterminate mankind the same way mankind exterminates ants? Will you be at peace with that? It sure will be peaceful when all the humans are dead and AIs of much higher consciousness are running the show. But my guess is, humans won't think of that as "world peace", they will think if it as the greatest evil.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, you have to contemplate the very nature of life to understand this idea of "world peace" and "no more evil".

Consider that to be alive one must destroy and kill. At the most fundamental level, life needs to take energy from other life in order to live because it is one, and so cannot get energy elsewhere.

Even if you somehow miraculously made every human a sage, all those sages would still need to kill to live. Even if they all became vegans, human cities still kill millions of animals just with their footprint alone. So this "world peace" wouldn't really be world peace, it would be peace for 1 species out of millions of other species. The only way you could call it "peace" is by saying "no other being's suffering matters but humans". Which wouldn't be a very sage-like position.

The true sage understands that suffering, inequality, death, and "evil" are absolutely necessary, making his peace with that fact, rather than trying to turn the world into a hippie Care Bear kingdom, where nobody's farts stink.

Reality is brutal and impersonal. It will find ways to fuck your peace. What happens when robots rise up and exterminate mankind the same way mankind exterminates ants? Will you be at peace with that? It sure will be peaceful when all the humans are dead and AIs of much higher consciousness are running the show. But my guess is, humans won't think of that as "world peace", they will think if it as the greatest evil.

When exactly is reality brutal?  Whose reality are we talking about?

@Leo Gura  Another example that struck home very young, was when we first went for a nice peaceful drive in the countryside on a hot summer's night, in heavenly anticipation of a moonlight swim in a lake, and I became aware of the mass slaughter of lovely moths and other exquisitely intricate insects, which I once loved to playfully and gently examine, now mangled and scorched into the front of the car -- which when pointed out to my dad, he merely said, "So what, fewer mosquitoes to worry about," while belittling me for being overly sensitive about such things. To this day, I'm still not entirely cool with swatting even mosquitoes, wuss that I am  ;)

Edited by snowleopard

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

21 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

I think yours is pretty brutal to be honest 9_9

You don't know me, so that is just a silly smear.  Grow up.  The question was addressed to Leo -- which he hasn't answered yet.  You popped up like a week ago -- how do you condescend to know me?  So, let Leo answer this, it's his statement I'm inquiring about, not mine or yours.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Just now, Mighty Mouse said:

Nah :) I'm sure neither one of us would want to be in eachother's shoes, that's all, but that's not a smear. If you're happy with your shoes, and I'm happy with my shoes, then where's the problem, right?

Mind your manners around here.  

@Nexeternity  @Leo Gura

14 minutes ago, Nexeternity said:

maybe then we get to reincarnate as one of the robots

Just when I was thinking I might be ok with 'killing' robots ;)  ... But I don't buy into the materialist notion that AI will become subjectively aware, for the same reason that awareness isn't an epiphenomenon of brain activity, so won't fret over it.

@Mighty Mouse

1 hour ago, Mighty Mouse said:

but by the same logic humans shouldn't be subjectively aware either

Exactly the point ... there is no convincing model that shows how electrochemical activity of neurons generates the subjective experience of qualia, aka the hard problem of consciousness, and yet there is an unfounded belief in creating such a model in AI. So it's a non sequitur based on an unproven materialist assumption.

On 10/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, AleksM said:

Maharishi Effect - Group Meditations Lower City Crime Rate By 16% On Average

Is this the same TM(TM)  mob that claims its meditators can levitate?