Hafiz

Nisargadatta Maharaj

10 posts in this topic

Ya'll come across this guy yet? 

http://advaita.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/1-I-Am-That-Nisargadatta-Maharaj-Resumo.pdf

To those of you who are far enough along the path to understand what he's talking about, how are you pragmatically applying what he is saying? How do you actually "do the thing". 

To those of you who haven't heard of him, I am really jealous, when I first read I AM THAT it was a really wonderful experience.

Fantastic book @Hafiz I actually picked it up off the book shelf last night. That and Be As You Are are simple and pure and shine a light on the true path.

For a while almost every night I listened to this while in deep meditation: 

No intellectualising, no thoughts, listen to this and just look. Look what is there in your direct experience.

Edited by No-Thing

On 10/18/2017 at 0:13 PM, Hafiz said:

Nisargadatta Maharaj

There was a man in Bombay, Nisargadatta Maharaj. Nobody knew this big name; he was known to the masses as "Beedie Baba" because he was continuously smoking beedies. You can find in every village such kinds of beedie babas. I think India has seven hundred thousand villages and each village must have at least one; more is possible. And Amrito wrote a few days ago to me, because another young Dutchman became very much involved with Beedie Baba... The man seems to be very sincere, but the trouble is that the people who come from the West have a very childlike heart, very trusting, and they are unaware that in India spirituality is just a routine. Everybody talks about great things and their lives are as ugly as possible. When Beedie Baba said that he would speak only to this young Dutchman, naturally his ego must have felt tremendously vast. The crowd that surrounded Beedie Baba was also of the same quality... rickshaw wallahs waiting for their passengers, sitting by the side of Beedie Baba. And when he said he would not speak to anybody unless it was this Dutchman... So he spoke to the Dutchman, who has now compiled books on Beedie Baba. Now in India it is almost parrot-like, but to the Westerner it seems to be a tremendous revelation -- when Beedie Baba said, "Aham brahmasmi; I am God, I am that" the young Dutchman immediately wrote a book: I AM THAT! Because for the West, spirituality is a foreign affair, just as for the East, science is a foreign affair.

Even the poorest beggar knows more about metaphysics, about great ideologies... And when the Western man comes -- he may be well educated but his education is of science, his education is of logic, his education makes him a great intellectual. But in the heart he remains very naive. Then any Beedie Baba, any idiot can make a great impact on him. This Dutch man lived for months together with Beedie Baba. He does not mention his well-known name, Beedie Baba; he mentions only his legal name, Nisargadatta Maharaj. He has written many books on Nisargadatta Maharaj; he has made Nisargadatta famous all over the world.

Osho

On 10/21/2017 at 6:03 AM, Prabhaker said:

There was a man in Bombay, Nisargadatta Maharaj. Nobody knew this big name; he was known to the masses as "Beedie Baba" because he was continuously smoking beedies. You can find in every village such kinds of beedie babas. I think India has seven hundred thousand villages and each village must have at least one; more is possible. And Amrito wrote a few days ago to me, because another young Dutchman became very much involved with Beedie Baba... The man seems to be very sincere, but the trouble is that the people who come from the West have a very childlike heart, very trusting, and they are unaware that in India spirituality is just a routine. Everybody talks about great things and their lives are as ugly as possible. When Beedie Baba said that he would speak only to this young Dutchman, naturally his ego must have felt tremendously vast. The crowd that surrounded Beedie Baba was also of the same quality... rickshaw wallahs waiting for their passengers, sitting by the side of Beedie Baba. And when he said he would not speak to anybody unless it was this Dutchman... So he spoke to the Dutchman, who has now compiled books on Beedie Baba. Now in India it is almost parrot-like, but to the Westerner it seems to be a tremendous revelation -- when Beedie Baba said, "Aham brahmasmi; I am God, I am that" the young Dutchman immediately wrote a book: I AM THAT! Because for the West, spirituality is a foreign affair, just as for the East, science is a foreign affair.

Even the poorest beggar knows more about metaphysics, about great ideologies... And when the Western man comes -- he may be well educated but his education is of science, his education is of logic, his education makes him a great intellectual. But in the heart he remains very naive. Then any Beedie Baba, any idiot can make a great impact on him. This Dutch man lived for months together with Beedie Baba. He does not mention his well-known name, Beedie Baba; he mentions only his legal name, Nisargadatta Maharaj. He has written many books on Nisargadatta Maharaj; he has made Nisargadatta famous all over the world.

Osho

I heard of a long time sanyassin that it was also a routine of Osho to shit talk all teachers because he didn't want devotees to jump around from teacher to teacher, but that he actually held them in high regard. 

14 hours ago, AlwaysBeNice said:

I heard of a long time sanyassin that it was also a routine of Osho to shit talk all teachers because he didn't want devotees to jump around from teacher to teacher, but that he actually held them in high regard. 

Agree.

On 10/21/2017 at 0:03 AM, Prabhaker said:

Osho

Maybe this is a lesson in humility, to maybe take spirituality less seriously so some insight can actually reach me instead of using my personal will and ego to find salvation for me, which is impossible.

Seeking has done nothing for me thus far except make me more thirsty.  I'm drinking salt water over here but yet every teacher is handing me a metaphorical glass of thirst quenching goodness and all I can respond with is "So where is the good shit?"

Grace

On 10/18/2017 at 2:43 AM, Hafiz said:

Ya'll come across this guy yet? 

http://advaita.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/1-I-Am-That-Nisargadatta-Maharaj-Resumo.pdf

To those of you who are far enough along the path to understand what he's talking about, how are you pragmatically applying what he is saying? How do you actually "do the thing". 

To those of you who haven't heard of him, I am really jealous, when I first read I AM THAT it was a really wonderful experience.

There are probably infinite ways to "unpack" Nasargadatta's work. In my practice, now, I can sum up how it feels like he helped(s):

After reading certain passages in his work, the possibility that thoughts could slip off the mind as "not me, not mine" was created. Once created, that possibility interleaved with the Vipassana/Therevada practice I was already doing and thoughts really do slip off the mind and fail to be grasped. More and more this seems to be the default, but inconstancy reigns surpreme as always. :) Adyashanti breaks down many of these concepts in perfect speech, which sometimes almost feels like Shaktipat over video here. :o Velcro wears out over time. Whew.

-Brett

26 minutes ago, MiracleMan said:

"So where is the good shit?"

Oh, that pain. My teacher gives me gold and I transmute it into shit. Everytime it seems like. I'm often like the legend of Midas in reverse.

I suppose we should also wonder, "Where is the bad shit?" Both? Non-dual. :P:) The antidote burns up in its own ground -- rest, pow! Gone. 

Watch out for the trap of preventing the little guy from having some "fun" due to fearing the next abyss/moha/delusion. All these traps bear my blood stains. So you'll cycle forever in the Tao, but maybe somehow grow from the struggle for balance. I'm babbling, sorry Sri.