Marios Tsagoulis

When Relatives Depend On You.

2 posts in this topic

So...

I'm a teenager.

I don't know how it is to be a parent

And I know that my parents and my grandparents love me and care about me.

And here's where it messes up

My grandparents always tell me that I forget them. I don't call them. I don't care about them.

And they tell it in a way that hurts my feelings. I feel like I am an ego-maniac and I don't give a shit.

I can't stand when people depend on me because they fucked up in life.i don't BLAME THEM

I don't demonize them of behaving that way..they just express theirselfs

BUT WTF I am supposed to do. Act like I love them and call them when I don't want to.

PLEASE I want some perspectives on this one...

@Marios Tsagoulis

Yeah I can relate to this a lot. A harsh truth is that close family members are not perfect or necessarily even mature adults.

Realize that shaming you for being selfish and "forgetting" about them IS them being selfish. It's about what they want, not what you want.

A lot of it comes from the fact that older people tend to place a ton of meaning onto their children / grandchildren. They don't have much else going on, so you're what makes them feel good about their lives. It's really sad when you think about.

Unfortunately you pulling back often only makes it worse. The real solution is to confront the issue head on, which is something you may not be ready for yet.