Harikrishnan

How Can I Overcome Anxiety And Fear

5 posts in this topic

I had an Accident last sunday and fractured my third metacarpal bone on hand factured. There wasnt much pain and i was very mindful and cool even after seeing my fractured bone on xray. But when doctor said surgery after seeing xray, i got a panic attack and fear and anxiety began to emerge and asked questions wether a surgery is really needed. Thankfully i was very mindful and noticed it but coudnt control and doctor sensed it. After a little talk about surgery i was a little over my fear and reminded myself ego is playing.  and He appointed next day for my surgery and i left hospital.  (My mother was with me and i guess she also sensed my fear said lets ask other Doctors before doing surgery) and we did and a senior Doc told no need of a surgery. I was relieved and was happy.( For last 3 days i was searching on internet about how to heal quickly  with food and all that even after relieved of not having a surgery i think iam still having panics; and searching all over net or else why cant i get over it and accept as it is.) I have been meditating for 1 and half years (close to 500hrs) and still i am having this problems. I philosophise and contemplate about Truth and all but still cannot stop anxiety and fear when hearing about operations and surgery. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Harikrishnan  perhaps you are trying to hard to take control of something that cannot be controlled. Or maybe you are anxious that you are having anxieties because you though you are already beyond that point. I would say the ego plays a part in that since it probably thought that it is spiritually more evolved and could not suffer anxiety. 

Anxieties usually come and go and many times we never find out why. Have you tried contemplating what exactly is it that you fear in surgery. Is it pain? Is it the risk of loosing mobility in the tendon? But perhaps it is the fear of being afraid and not knowing what to do -> no control.  Less controlling and more giving up and letting go is the key although easier said than done.  

Also make sure to be very mindful of your breathing when these attacks come, do not drop into shallow breathing. Breathe through your nose, slowly and mindfully. This method also increases your nutrient transport through arteries so better for your healing. 

Letting go takes time, be patient and the anxiety will drop. Mindfulness is the key.

As per the injury, have a look at Comfrey. Either herbal or supplemental. This is what many naturopathic doctors and herbalists would recommend. 

Stay strong and swift recovery!!  Let us know how it goes. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Harikrishnan That's because the fear arising is not in your control. When anxiety arises, did you consciously choose to have it arise? No ofcourse not. It's something that is happening to you. Don't condemn or avoid fear and anxiety. Observe them. 

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

— Rumi

May you be well.

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

sleep it out

cut sugar

get some human touch

take a warm bath

sizzle some steak

sprinkle a nice soundtrack

my anxiety free method

When I was a youngster I recall being afraid when seeing blood from a tiny nick in my hand. Much later I had surgery to remove a cancerous kidney; I was very afraid at the thought of this. Then at a still later date when I required another significant surgery I noticed that I was hardly fearful at all. I noticed that after each 'fearful event' that I had realised something worthwhile - in fact to such an extent that I am now grateful for these events for teaching me that I am essentially not my body - that I cannot essentially be defined nor located.

The severe diminishment of fear means that it is known that there is essentially nothing to fear - that everything that happens is in my own best interest.

In appreciation,

Edited by dorg