Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shroomdoctor

Drastic Changes In Life

11 posts in this topic

Hey there!
So I did the Life Purpose Course. The outcome was what I had in mind even before that: Studying psychotherapy and having my own business to "give people conidence, perspective and inspiration."
At the moment I am still studying computer science and I am totally fed up with that. I am thinking about doing a huge leap and travelling to New Zealand from Dezember to June and doing work&travel. (Until I can start applying for the new studies.) 
This would be a huge step for me and something I am terrfied but also excited of. I think it would be an opportunity to really grow myself in terms of independence and a challenge that might give me assurance and confidence in dealing with future endeavours. 
The downside is that I only have one and a half year left to complete my degree and I would throw away 3 years of work. 
But I am quite sure that this drastic change might be the right path for me, I can't let myself be held back by fear. 

I would be interested in your opinion. Is this a mad choice? 

Greetings
Marco

@Marco_the_Ape hi. computer scientist from brazil here.

i would finish computer science first. you're bored because you're not finding the freedom to use what you know in order to build something really awesome.

computer science is the modern and practical art/science of languages and mathematics. the field of computer science enables/contemplates beautiful ways of sharing knowledge.

i'm using what i learned to build my personal website. it's in written in portuguese though.
basically, it's a self-organizing agenda, portfolio and inspiration source for mankind.

you don't need to quit computer science to grow. you just need to remove the distractions from your life and you will have lots of free time to do whatever you want.

unborn Truth

4 hours ago, Marco_the_Ape said:

Hey there!
So I did the Life Purpose Course. The outcome was what I had in mind even before that: Studying psychotherapy and having my own business to "give people conidence, perspective and inspiration."
At the moment I am still studying computer science and I am totally fed up with that. I am thinking about doing a huge leap and travelling to New Zealand from Dezember to June and doing work&travel. (Until I can start applying for the new studies.) 
This would be a huge step for me and something I am terrfied but also excited of. I think it would be an opportunity to really grow myself in terms of independence and a challenge that might give me assurance and confidence in dealing with future endeavours. 
The downside is that I only have one and a half year left to complete my degree and I would throw away 3 years of work. 
But I am quite sure that this drastic change might be the right path for me, I can't let myself be held back by fear. 

I would be interested in your opinion. Is this a mad choice? 

Greetings
Marco

I made a similar change. 

I was also in the computer science industry. I quit everything. flat out. now also going traveling. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. But know this. It gives a huge sense of freedom, especially if you haven't got tied to the salary and bonuses of the high tech industry. then it's difficult to leave, much more. But rewarding as well.

It is a huge step! and i think it will grow your Independence. That's one of my motivations for travel. If you feel that's it right for you then go for it! Leo mentioned something about pre- mordem maybe that'll work for you. 

I also considered going to New Zealand! Any chance you'll PM about how it works with migrating there ? Visa? Or what?

Good luck!

From someone with a lot of education and work in her twenties, I now for sure would choose travel and starting afresh with your studies.

Can you decide if you want to quit after you do work&travel? Travelling to/living in another country totally gives you a new perspective. It opens your mind to possibilities you may not see from the comfort zone of your home country, family, bondings etc. Freedom from all that will totally change your life. Maybe you will wanna finish your degree after that, because possibly as ajasatya says, you will need this knowledge to set up a website for your work, or doing some freelance work before psychotherapy starts paying you well. Or maybe life will throw in other opportunities, who knows. Definitely do work&travel :)

Bold decision to make, but totally possible to acomplish. More and more people are throwing their studies and looking for alternative path. If you decide to make that change then mind homeosthasis. Making drastic changes to one's life can be a really hellish experience. You may also experience a burnout after a few months of hustling with work&travel lifestyle, especially if you haven't done that in the past. 

Nevertheless, I think it's still totally worth it! (But don't take my words too serious, I have been working abroad only for two weeks) ;)

Thank you for all the advice. I am quite sure that is the right way to go. I can still finish this degree after my six month of travel if I then wish so but I hope to really grow myself in the process. Tons of Reading, Meditation and of course Work and seeing a new country!

On 10/12/2017 at 7:39 PM, ajasatya said:

i'm using what i learned to build my personal website. it's in written in portuguese though.
basically, it's a self-organizing agenda, portfolio and inspiration source for mankind.

I love love the elegant minimalist design!

I graduated this year. Speaking from experience, I can say that I was divided like you, more like had this idea to stop my studies back in 2nd grade and pursue something else. I didn't quit and I don't regret it. I'm happy with my current situation as this is something I wanted to do.  

If you think that you need a drastic change in your life then there is nothing to think. Go for it. I think that Hong Kong can be a good way to accomplish your plan. By the way you can book tickets here https://www.iflyfirstclass.com/los-angeles-hong-kong . There are many interesting places to visit in Hong Kong, , and the local cuisine is very tasty. If you are looking for peaceful places then visit Tsz Shan Monastery or Nan Lian Garden.