Hafiz

I Really Don't Like The Term "new Age"

5 posts in this topic

I don't want to identify with this particular image. I definitely used to be a hippie, but not so much anymore.

What do you guys think of this term?

I like it.  To me it conjures up a flowering and maturity of a lot that happened in the 60’s and 70’s.  That’s probably the exact reason you don’t like it!  You don’t like hippies.  That preference is the underlying issue and determinant of our differing tastes on this issue perhaps.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Hafiz i don’t care for it, or anything other labels on myself or others, in terms of spirituality. ‘Seeker’ never felt right either. After experiencing the truth, the term spiritual doesn’t feel quite right either. What is the term for “someone who wants you to see the truth for yourself”? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

In one of his recent vids, Leo mentioned 'actualized nihilist'. I've been contemplating some on this one. Sounds a bit different, but come to think, it's a pretty accurate definition.

It's not a bad terminology to describe the group and it's purpose. The underlying belief that we're entering some kind of 'new age' where all of our intellectual underpinnings are just shams and conspiracies.

Personally I don't resonate with the new age movement. They've hit on some truths, but only through luck. It's not hard when you don't examine any idea critically. At the same time, they throw away any knowledge or wisdom that is considered conventional simply because it's... well... conventional. Conventional wisdom is boring, and the new age movement is fixated on exciting theories revolving around aliens, egyptians, solar flares, quantum entanglement, etc. The egyptians built the pyramids through their own ingenuity and we have tons of documented evidence? Boring! They must have used ancient magic and alien technologies, man couldn't possibly have figured it out themselves!

So they've really thrown the baby out with the bathwater. They do a great service by questioning conventional wisdom, but if you're going to do that you also need to think critically about 'new age' theories and this is where they fall short of hitting the mark.