Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Key Elements

[movie] The Seven Samurai (10/10), Akira Kurosawa

4 posts in this topic

When a village in old Japan got into trouble because it was taken over by bandits, a Samurai decided to organize a group of Samurai in the mist of the chaos. Cleverly and fearlessly they defeated the bandits, but not without casualties. This is a great movie to learn about fearlessness and little to no ego even in the most horrific of times, and how some of the Samurai achieve that.

The personalities of the Samurai are different from the other people. They have character, esp the leader. They're detached from all the troubles happening all around them in the worst of times, and go around solving major problems without letting the problems get to them. This is the darkest of hours and the problems are being solved. It seems like after watching this movie, I noticed that we take our lives for granted. We don't train ourselves to look for opportunities or plan for opportunities even when it's not the worst case scenario. 

The question is: what other life lessons can we draw from this movie (other than seeing the Samurai defeating the bandits in bloodshed)?

@Leo Gura Another thing I love about this movie is, it reminds me of this quote:

"I spend my entire life coaching people -- getting them from where they are in life, to where they want to be in life. But, even I didn't know that the gap could be closed this quickly." -A Life Coach

This life coach is also talking about passive income. However, in this movie, the Samurai closed the gap very quickly without using any money and in the worst of times.

2017-11-01 09.43.15.jpg

Watched this today. Doesn't seem to me that the villagers experienced any real growth in the end. Thay didn't even understand what happened but got cocky anyways.

Bwt how do you think, why Kambei concludes the events with "we lost again"?

Apply consciousness to the burned area

4 hours ago, Azote said:

They were old friends who had lost a battle over the fortress, their lord died then and they became ronins.

Now they have lost again, because their new-met friends have died and they still have nowhere to go. But they have repayed the moral debt samurais were due to villagers and saved them. That makes villagers a true winner.

That's what I remember from the movie, you can interpret it in many different ways.

19 hours ago, Azote said:

There were casualties. It's hard losing someone due to war. War causes hatred and divisions among groups of people.

On a deeper level, there's a saying,

"It's better to be the chestboard, than any of the chest pieces."

A black or white chest piece participates in fighting in a war with the other color. The chestboard just observes and has nothing to do with the war. Among humans, wars could be avoided altogether, but we don't do that. We are our own worst enemies. Do you see other animals starting wars of that magnitude, like humans? No.