Marinus

Studying Is Fulfilling? 

8 posts in this topic

This week for the first time ever I completed a whole week with 41 hours of focus on my education. I wanted to create a good start at the beginning of my year, but I procrastinated a week so that was until last weekend. So I took the challenge and I committed to work my ass of. The funny is that it was very easy to keep going. I had little to no distractions, like checking Facebook, chats, actualized.org, etc. When I did (except actualized.org of course) I felt empty and it didn't feel meaningful anymore. Half of my study time was at college to be outside my comfort-zone, which helped. It feels so good to be prepared and I'm very curious how much I'll know when the exams will be here. This might be the cause of  the flow state. I still have study work, but I'm confident that I'l ace it.

I don't expect every week to feel good, but what is the reason for this good feeling? Do you guys experience something similar?

@Marinus Ahhh, I did the same thing as a student. Now I do the same thing as a professor. Working long hours studying, learning and creating lessons.

When I take it easy, it feels good. Maybe because we are learning something new that we view as meaningful? That we accomplished something? I always feel better after learning new principles of art / science vs. conceptual debates over politics and reality - they leave me feeling hollow afterwards.

@Marinus

Sounds great! You seem very motivated to study, but do not over-study to the point where you burn out. 41 hours/week seems like a lot unless you are in university. 

Make sure that you take care of your mental and physical health as well. This means socializing, working out, getting involved with your hobbies, etc.

I regret studying too much when I was in high school. Spent so much time studying that I neglected other aspects of my life such as relationships... 

Edited by Christian
Incomplete sentence

I did the same thing last week during my exams and I felt the same way!
I think that the concentration used got us on a "Flow" state that made us just want to do it more and more.
Perhaps it is the feeling of doing something with the much effort that I can "until I burn out"...using our maximum potential!
The feeling that we can really "do something good" with the much effort that we can...maybe is the feeling that we have when we reach our life porpouse!
Thats some things that I tought. What you think?

It's what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi hypothesized about in his book "Flow", that there has to be a couple of conditions in place for the "flow effect" to take place in most people. Like having a well defined goal to accomplish. And the challenge of the task should be challenging enough that it requires serious concentration, but the challenge should not be so hard that it becomes frustrating.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Christian Fortunately I do all those things! Maybe that has an impact to, socializing is something I'm working on right now. A normal workweek here is 40 hours, so it seems doable, but I agree that those other aspects need to be taken care f as well. I have little to no experience with relationships, but yesterday I did comfort zone challenges for the second time and that helps to care less about peoples opinions which will help me to take steps in my social life. 

@blacksapp Yeah I agree, but in my case I don't burn out.  like to keep the weekend free for other stuff.

@vizual Seems like I hit all those aspects, something I also apply is diversity, multiple study techniques a day, like reading and underlining, studying notes and watching videos on topics.

@K VIL Thanks! How does studying make you resent life? 

On 10/6/2017 at 11:27 PM, Serotoninluv said:

Maybe because we are learning something new that we view as meaningful? That we accomplished something? 

@Serotoninluv I think that's right especially the latter.

There is a time in life for great study and learning.  If you are tapping into that, great!  I tapped into it for a long time myself too.  Knowledge is important.  I hope you are getting a feel of what your authentic self is.  That is what you want to start to tap into.

Great Video to Watch:  I watched it last night myself to review.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor
Thanks! I will listen to it while shopping.

I indeed feel more authentic, I used to procrastinate a lot, but the last 10 days I listen to what I find important and studying is or even better, knowledge! My highest value is Understanding (truth) and studying makes the knowledge clear for me, hence living my value. It is now easier to work, because it is m path of least resistance at the moment. I made this rule: studying = normal workweek (40 hours). I try to fit 8 hours on average, staying true to the time table is difficult, but I manage to complete the hours and this feels great! Keeping the weekend free is a rule too,  but if I want to I will study, but it is not an obligation and this creates much mental freedom! Self development I mainly do in the weekend, but this is something I will engage more in. I count the little things like expanding my comfort zone a little and this I practice in college.

Something I think is inspire is this quote ''Discipline creates freedom''.