Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Visionary

How Do I Know When I'm Authentic And When Not?

14 posts in this topic

What's up guys,

I have this problem. How do i know my current wishes are truly authentic? I want to change the world and make it a more conscious place. But how do i know that this wish is not egoic?

These are very important questions for applying the law of attraction. Eventually i want to become the most authentic version of myself (as this is what we're all born to become) . And i want my career to be a reflection of that.

From my experience I just feel that I'm authentic and don't even think about it, when I question if I'm being authentic that's sign that I'm not.

Edited by wavydude

Being authentic would mean being true to your core values. If you hit one or more of your values, you'll know it, feel it inside. Like a feeling of deep contentment. Not an excitement or a rush of joy but pure contentment. It will also be incredibly easy for you to get into the "flow" and lose yourself in time. 

To know what triggers this in you, it will be helpful to find your values if you haven't already. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Just because it's egoic does not mean it's not authentic. If you truly want something even if it's horrible, say for someone to die it's still authentic.

@Visionary Authentic is an adjective we subjectivly assign. It is a judgement.

What is. . . is.  No need to analyze or judge. Just be.

Edited by Serotoninluv

@Visionary contemplate how you would feel if your goals were achieved but nobody noticed who you are.

if your goals are authentic, you should be free from needs for external approval.

unborn Truth

14 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Visionary contemplate how you would feel if your goals were achieved but nobody noticed who you are.

if your goals are authentic, you should be free from needs for external approval.

You hit the bulls eye with that question my friend. My problem is mostly: i want to have a very creative career where i leave people with awe. I want to make a direct impact on their hearts/emotions. Give them new perspective. Make them conscious. Through my career/work/art. A teacher has a similar driving force right?

But to what extend is such a motivation truly authentic? Isn't this to some extend fueled by external approval?

@Visionary practical example:

• yoga teacher A works very hard but gets frustrated because he's not the best yoga teacher around
  • yoga teacher B works very hard but he is detached from comparisons of any kind

result: A faces hard emotional frustrations and is more prone to quit. B will just go with the flow and allow himself time to perfect the quality of his work.

clarifying what i mean: when your goals are authentic, you are unstoppable.

unborn Truth

6 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Visionary practical example:

• yoga teacher A works very hard but gets frustrated because he's not the best yoga teacher around
  • yoga teacher B works very hard but he is detached from comparisons of any kind

result: A faces hard emotional frustrations and is more prone to quit. B will just go with the flow and allow himself time to perfect the quality of his work.

clarifying what i mean: when your goals are authentic, you are unstoppable.

Thank you very much brother, appreciate it. No competition, but co-creation!

In my experience, when you don't struggle at all. When it just flows like a river without any resistance. 

The more egoic/neurotic my actions and desires are, the more resistance i encounter and it's harder succeed.

If you encounter this state of being, you'll probably know.

1 minute ago, AxelK said:

In my experience, when you don't struggle at all. When it just flows like a river without any resistance. 

The more egoic/neurotic my actions and desires are, the more resistance i encounter and it's harder succeed.

If you encounter this state of being, you'll probably know.

Yeah this flow state mostly appears when there is a temporal loss of ego. But i'm nowhere near being in such state most of the time.

21 minutes ago, Visionary said:

Yeah this flow state mostly appears when there is a temporal loss of ego. But i'm nowhere near being in such state most of the time.

Don't worry, and don't try to force it. Just realise that there's nothing to do, and nothing to know, and it'll probably come after a while. Personally i've been noticing it more and more the last months when i've just let go instead of forcing and controlling it.

When you give up trying to control and you give up the idea of free will and you just accept reality for what it is and you give up the idea that you are an ego -- what remains is authenticity.

Great video on point:

Edited by Joseph Maynor