Michael569

Sick With All The Chimp Behaviour In Gyms

17 posts in this topic

Don't know if its just me and if the content of actualized.org has anything to do with it but I noticed myself getting more and more disgusted with all the show-offs and divas at the gym. (Tight bras, exposed bellies, 1inch layer of makeup, tight compressed tshirts, selfies, instagram posts, guys posing in front of mirrors all the time...you name it) 

I have hardly been noticing these things before before I started doing the consciousness work. Now it makes me sick every-time I see it. The most enjoyable workouts I get is outside in nature with the TRX and skipping rope now. 

Anyone else getting this? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

well, im not so bothered about the chimps but i dont go to gym anymore.

i do running, soccer, yoga etc on daily basis though.

I never enjoyed gym that much. You are making completely unnatural movements for the most part and you dont move.

the gym rats are the worst movers.

gym is better than no exercise and you can get more strength in the gym. so there is a counter argument.

i would prefer push ups, pull ups, dips

and sprint, jump, throwing exercises over lifting iron.

@Michael569 I am wondering if this has to do with judging yourself if you do anything similar. 
I have no problem with people putting tons of makeup. I actually don't care. It just looks funny to me sometimes.

@ElenaO I am a judgemental AF that is true :D I know how silly it is to even notice these things but can't help it sometimes 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

As someone who frequents the gym as well, consciousness work has had the opposite effect. I've become much more accepting towards this kind of behaviour because its just how it is and i can see the underlying processes that fuel this behaviour. Perhaps it's just a stage, if you progress enough you'll probably realise that its nothing to be annoyed at. 

I was like this a while ago though, now i just laugh inside me in a playful way because it doesnt offend me any longer.

Dont be judgmental at yourself though, just be mindful of these thoughts and judgements and it will probably pass on after a while.

Edited by AxelK

Everything has its levels, unconscious > conscious > higher consciousness > enlightened ect..

At the start you can't stand it because of how drone-minded everyone is since you recently broke free from "Autopilot" but they have not and you can see how the gyms are purely focused on body and little on mind/intelligence or mental or conscious work. Eventually as you rise higher you will learn to tolerate it and work your way around it and eventually the higher you rise the less it will bother you.

Once you get to a certain point of peace within, higher levels of clarity will come forth and you will see the greater picture for it all and how this/that is meant to be seen/experienced a certain way for consciousness to grow and expand most optimally for both the mirror and the reflections.

Be the example you wish to see in your world, keep focusing on self/light, they/everything else will follow by nature.

B R E A T H E

While training your physical vehicle, you are intoxicating your mind, it's not that much of a healthy choice for your training. I always use nature and very empty gyms if necessary. I recommend that. 

Edited by Sevi

Just make sure to be mindfull of the judgemental thoughts as they arise.

Kinda sounds like ego judging ego.

@pluto well said brother, thanks for encouraging words !

You might have noticed this now and now your ego is enforcing a belief that those things are bad and disgusting. Just a theory. Anyways what is so disgusting about them anyway? It's just unconscious people taking part in another distraction. Overall in life focus on improving yourself and the process instead of the outcome and how other people affect you or society. This will help you have a good mindset and actually get results.

@Michael569 You've definitely raised your awareness! Keep going. You're going in the right direction.

That judgement will turn to acceptance, for various reasons :)

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

Have you noticed a shift in your attitudes and motivations for training since you began conciousness work?

I am embarking on approaching all my trainings from a more spiritual perspective, infusing body and mind. Any weight training or body work for me is about the act itself, the moment. The deeper placement, space and understanding i discover within my body. On top of this, i simply love the feeling and lifestyle. Its hard to switch paradigms, but as i work on it i become more aware of the 90% who are not approaching training of any kind from that concious mindframe, i still struggle sometimes.

This almost led me to quit lifting or moving my body because it is 'unconcious' or 'unspiritual' or some caveman desire that needs trabscending but im realising its some inner judgement i have, some old beliefs and a spiritual ego developing. This is amplified when i see the selfies being taken in the squatrack! You may be discovering a different approach like me, trust it and know that everyone else is simply acting the way that feels true for them, you have simply moved beyond it and now you see. Just as you have noticed their approach, people may notice something different in your attitude. Perhaps a seed could be planted within them...

Thanks guys for all your comments. I have re-watched Leo's videos on "System Thinking" and "why do people seem crazy" and many things started to click in place. I notice myself being somewhat less judgemental and more accepting. I have even noticed being compassionate with a black guy stealing 5£ power-banks in discount store yesterday, though he probably has a reason for thinking he needs to do that. 

Acceptance is understanding is the key. Thanks all @AxelK, @pluto, @Shiva, @Spence94 for opening my eyes to this. 

11 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Thanks guys for all your comments. I have re-watched Leo's videos on "System Thinking" and "why do people seem crazy" and many things started to click in place. I notice myself being somewhat less judgemental and more accepting. I have even noticed being compassionate with a black guy stealing 5£ power-banks in discount store yesterday, though he probably has a reason for thinking he needs to do that. 

Acceptance is understanding is the key. Thanks all @AxelK, @pluto, @Shiva, @Spence94 for opening my eyes to this. 

Black guy dude? Really?......lol. How did that add to the comment? 

Edited by SFRL

@SFRL I guess it didn't.  In UK, African-brittons are unfortunately responsible for massive portion of petty crimes. But I guess you are right, didn't really add much value to it :D

@Michael569 the same is true for the USA. Then again the question is why is that? 

I am against racism. It is about the most basic territorial monkey behaviour there is. Then again I understand the reflex, and I think it's actually an interesting point to look into and discuss. To unravel the nuanced points. 

Too me it's just surprising that from time to time I come across these racist comments on this forum, and usually they are against Blacks or Arabs. And I am thinking by myself really? You are talking about all these things like enlightment, higher consiousness, and sustainable living, etc, then those people still hold on to those racist believes? That's just strange in my eyes.