Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustinS

Kriyas Or Involuntary Movements

12 posts in this topic

Does this happen to some of you guys when meditating? 

So this has been happening for the last 3 months. It feels like electric charging up and down my spine with my neck and face spasmed out. The face I make is ridiculous. It's this demonic face with the lips frowned and eyes fierce. It also shoots up what seems to be blocked energy up the back of my head and releasing out leaving me with this pleasant, grounded, and relaxed feeling. Feels like deep cleansing and healing. 

Shinzen's description on it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9AHh9MvgyQ

Edited by JustinS

@Martin123 Now its everytime I become conscious of breath. It can be the first breath. Basically everytime I deeply relax whether I'm stretching, meditating, or sometimes driving. As long as I'm really conscious of my inhale it triggers it. 

I can suppress these jerks but then it almost like charges and builds up giving me a powerful sometimes violent shake where my head nods up and down hard. 

I have a feeling its going to be like this for the rest of my life. I have no problem with it . 

Edited by JustinS

This is sometimes referred to as automatic yoga and is not an uncommon experience among practitioners - particularly those working with pranayamas or kundalini related practices.

From the aypsite.org website: 

Q: I have started to do yoni mudra kumbhaka and dynamic jalandhara along with spinal breathing and meditation. During meditation I find sudden jerks in some parts of my body like my hand moves involuntarily and most times upper part of my body moves towards the ground. These movements are sometimes distracting. Just want to know if this is normal or am I doing anything wrong. 

A: Yes, the jerks are normal. It is energy opening inner pathways. The movements will reduce as the pathways open and offer less resistance. 

Sometimes movements point to "automatic yoga" positions. For example, if you feel compelled to go down to the mat with your head and torso while sitting, this is the sushumna (spinal nerve) wanting to stretch itself for more purification. If you do some maha mudra as part of your asanas before pranayama and meditation it can help pre-empt the tendency during sitting practices. The basic version of this is a sitting toe grab with legs out straight and head toward knees with chin toward chest. Or, if your head and torso irresistibly want to go down during sitting practices, then let them for a few minutes. Or you can let yourself go into it for as long as necessary at the end of your sitting practices. It is a natural expression of the connectedness of yoga through your nervous system. 

Obviously, we don't want to interrupt our sitting practices too much with spontaneous yoga positions, but sometimes these things happen, so we let them if the urge gets to be strong enough. The best way to minimize movements in pranayama and meditation is with a good set of asanas before we start. And, if the movements become too much, we do as we always do when symptoms of purification become excessive. We use self-pacing in our practices and back off for a while until we find stability in our routine, and continue from there. When we hit a few pot-holes in the road, we slow down until the road smoothes out again. 

The occasional jerks are common at certain stages of development, and a sign of purification going on. Milestones on the road to enlightenment! 

@JustinS you have awakened kundalini.

The implications of this are for example that regular spiritual practices (self-enquiry,...), won't do any good.

Te pandora's box had been opened, now it's time for god to work his magic.

there's some nice info in this thread on kundalini. :)

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, Martin123 said:

@JustinS you have awakened kundalini.

The implications of this are for example that regular spiritual practices (self-enquiry,...), won't do any good.

Te pandora's box had been opened, now it's time for god to work his magic.

there's some nice info in this thread on kundalini. :)

Why regular spiritual practices won't do any good anymore? Where is this from?

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

Yes, not all the time but it does happen time t time. Its just energy re-aligning itself. I sometimes rock back and forth or in circular motion or sometimes my spine moves like a snake slithering or vibrates.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Only happened to me on my first awakening. 

19 hours ago, Phrae said:

Why regular spiritual practices won't do any good anymore? Where is this from?

That my friend is a great question.
I have no clue... i swear to god feels like someone else said it... xD
WASNT ME! :D

@Martin123 Lmfao I have been thinking about why for weeks actually...

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

@Phrae The post I wrote was written from a righteous egoic perspective that unfortunately I no longer embody. Do you know the meme with James McAvoy saying "That wasnt me, that was Patricia!"? :D 
that-wasnt-me-that-was-patricia.jpg

But I can give you my own experience I have had. 
I have had a kundalini awakening. Kundalini doesn't awaken your mind right away necessarily, which self-enquiry is meant for. Kundalini encompasses healing your body and nervous system on an energetic and emotional level, which then leads to realisations of higher consciousness. It is the feminine aspect of awakening if you will.
From my own experience, whenever I would actually try to transcend my emotional and energetic body, through self-enquiry, be it direct contemplation or perhaps focusing my attention on awareness, I would hinder my healing journey. What I find this to be about is actually a process of honoring your emotions, your ego, thoughts as if it is divinity itself... which isnt as if, it is.

I have a friend who is going through the same healing process. He actually kind of is into the whole transcendence, awareness, enquiry thing! When I tune into him though I feel like he is using it as a form of spiritual denial, making his journey more complicated. It is a way of escaping the emotional turmoil rather than living through it fully.

But remember... wasn't me! It was Patricia!

ignore it, worrying about it is why its happening in the first place