Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperLuigi

Is Meditation Progress Linear?

8 posts in this topic

I have a question.

I meditate for about 30 - 60 mins each day. Various techniques, but only 1 per sitting.

I have tried to research (but failed to attain a satisfactory answer) on the benefits of meditating any more than this (this closest thing I could find was an article titled "a phd in happiness" - you can google it).

So my question is: does meditation provide measurable benefits in direct correlation to time spent practising, in the same manner, say practising the guitar does?

If one person practises an instrument 5 hours a day and another for 30 mins, a year later, the 5 hours a day person will be much more proficient.. does this translate to meditation?

Please no answer like "you need to let go of expectations"... I understand that, but without measurable progress, it's hard to find reasons to increase practise times.

@SuperLuigi No mastery process is linear. Just the opposite.

See my video called Mastery.

Read the book Mastery by George Leonard.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@SuperLuigi Depends very much on the quality of the meditation. Someone doing 15 minutes of really focused, clear and intentional meditation may grow more than someone who does an hour of sloppy meditation.

It also depends on just how good you are at meditating. If you're not the strongest meditator, more time may be required.

Some people do well on just an hour or even 30 minutes a day, other people require more (2-3+ hours). It varies from person to person so you have to kinda' figure it out for yourself. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

14 hours ago, SuperLuigi said:

I have tried to research (but failed to attain a satisfactory answer) on the benefits of meditating any more than this (this closest thing I could find was an article titled "a phd in happiness" - you can google it).

what do you want more than happiness?

Spiral dynamics is how every human psychology evolves. This becomes most appearent when we observe mass psychology like stockmarkets.

A very famous and studied phenomena are Elliot Waves, you can see them as learning trends, or hypes until there is a pullback and reflection phase (whether the price reflects the actual value).

Studying psycho economical markets (stocks/crypto) you learn a lot about how people think and behave in the big picture. Therefor I will be devoting a subject to this in the future, since psychology couldn't be quantified before but now we can in some way.

These patterns apply in all markets and are deeply grounded in our psychogy and resemble some harmonic resonance.

Why is this utterly interesting? Because we learn how our minds work, how growth and progress are connected. That pullbacks are essential to growth and some sort of reflection phase.

ewb-05-thewup.png

This is an example of how anything in nature grows. Trust me these phenomena are in all markets and grow according to the golden ratio or fibonacci series. The fibonacci series is also widely seen throughout nature, especially in flower peddles.

From 1-5 is the hype or the active learning curve, we can call this overall upward progress. Then after the we hit a plateau, generally after 3 impulse waves a corrective phase begins. In human psycholgy this is where the hype pulls back, we find ourselves that the learning is reversing and fall into old habbits.

What is learnt is never forgotten and the overall trend of learning is always upwards, so eventually we will find an equillibrium point where both our old habbits (beginning of the trend) and our plateau (highest point of understanding/active learning) find a balance point and level out.

In trading this is called consolidation, where all ideas or price point slowly come to one agreement and the break up more or down.

If we understand our own psychological rythem we can make better use of it. Especially knowing that going down is not a bad thing and is actually healhy. If something have an expontential curve in nature its crash will be magnificent too! Slow but steady in general is better and more bearable for most.

For example a DMT shot into hyperspace can blow the roof off, but coming back with all this insight might plunge you into an existential crisis! Now not everybody will get into one, but some people certainly will. Key is understanding of what growth is. 

Even for @Leo Gura, who runs this forum and business it is important to know that there isn't an infinite growth, that it comes in waves and if we look to the big picture we are all on a steady upward climb.

For me the part to work on now is how to find peace in moments of downward progress. Balance in someway could be the answer, maybe find something else for a while to get your mind refresh with ideas and then come back when you feel inspired again.

This applies to all growth! From subscribers, to wellfare, to muscules, learning (psychology), relations!, weather, everything!

My life goals is also to dedicate my studies how growth in nature works and may we all benefit from that for the better. ;)

On 30/09/2017 at 9:17 AM, Principium Nexus said:

Spiral dynamics is how every human psychology evolves. This becomes most appearent when we observe mass psychology like stockmarkets.

A very famous and studied phenomena are Elliot Waves, you can see them as learning trends, or hypes until there is a pullback and reflection phase (whether the price reflects the actual value).

Studying psycho economical markets (stocks/crypto) you learn a lot about how people think and behave in the big picture. Therefor I will be devoting a subject to this in the future, since psychology couldn't be quantified before but now we can in some way.

These patterns apply in all markets and are deeply grounded in our psychogy and resemble some harmonic resonance.

Why is this utterly interesting? Because we learn how our minds work, how growth and progress are connected. That pullbacks are essential to growth and some sort of reflection phase.

ewb-05-thewup.png

This is an example of how anything in nature grows. Trust me these phenomena are in all markets and grow according to the golden ratio or fibonacci series. The fibonacci series is also widely seen throughout nature, especially in flower peddles.

From 1-5 is the hype or the active learning curve, we can call this overall upward progress. Then after the we hit a plateau, generally after 3 impulse waves a corrective phase begins. In human psycholgy this is where the hype pulls back, we find ourselves that the learning is reversing and fall into old habbits.

What is learnt is never forgotten and the overall trend of learning is always upwards, so eventually we will find an equillibrium point where both our old habbits (beginning of the trend) and our plateau (highest point of understanding/active learning) find a balance point and level out.

In trading this is called consolidation, where all ideas or price point slowly come to one agreement and the break up more or down.

If we understand our own psychological rythem we can make better use of it. Especially knowing that going down is not a bad thing and is actually healhy. If something have an expontential curve in nature its crash will be magnificent too! Slow but steady in general is better and more bearable for most.

For example a DMT shot into hyperspace can blow the roof off, but coming back with all this insight might plunge you into an existential crisis! Now not everybody will get into one, but some people certainly will. Key is understanding of what growth is. 

Even for @Leo Gura, who runs this forum and business it is important to know that there isn't an infinite growth, that it comes in waves and if we look to the big picture we are all on a steady upward climb.

For me the part to work on now is how to find peace in moments of downward progress. Balance in someway could be the answer, maybe find something else for a while to get your mind refresh with ideas and then come back when you feel inspired again.

This applies to all growth! From subscribers, to wellfare, to muscules, learning (psychology), relations!, weather, everything!

My life goals is also to dedicate my studies how growth in nature works and may we all benefit from that for the better. ;)

Wow! I'm extremely interested in seeing your more detailed write-ups on this. I guess you are essentially describing in more detail Leo's statement that actually progress / mastery is in-fact NON linear. 

Of course, I am no expert at this, but my answer is that it would only be better to meditate 5 hours every day if you can sustain it and don't have too many responsibilities in everyday life. Otherwise you may get burnt out, and loose your dedication much sooner than if you stick to 30-60 minutes per day. 30-60 per day is a huge dedication in itself, and anyone who does this should already be pretty proud of themselves. If you are a monk who lives on a mountain and have 5 hours per day to do this, then yes, it will probably bring inner peace and mastery much sooner. But for most of us, it is not feasible. 

@starsofclay Very true, balance for our common modern society life is different than from living in solitude and having all the time of the world.

In the end the goal is to live a happy and fullfilling life and how to is done is very subjective.