benny

Is Fear Of Wasting Your Life A Healthy Fear? Is It A Good Motivator For This Journey?

8 posts in this topic

So I was journaling about what it is I want out of life today. I would make a numbered list, and for each thing I listed, I would ask myself "why do I want this?", until I hit on something irreducible.

So one of my items was "I want to be fulfilled". This led to "Because it is important for me to live this life to fullest." This led to "Because I don't want this opportunity to live my life to the fullest to pass me by." This led to "Because I don't want to look back on my life with regret." This ultimately led to "because I fear the pain of knowing I wasted my life."

At this point I knew I had hit the root motivator for my desire to be fulfilled. I've learned from Leo that fear-based motivation leads to yo-yo effects, though my growth trajectory since beginning this work five years ago has been an upward one. That being said, it's been mostly external work up until this point (getting in shape, developing social skills, developing a good work ethic, etc.) Now I'm beginning the inner work, and I'm wondering if that shift in the type of work I'm doing will make it so that this fear I have makes me more susceptible to self-sabotage. I've also learned from Leo that through the law of attraction we attract what we fear. So my question to Leo and to all the community members is this: Is my fear of wasting my a life a healthy fear to have? Is it a healthy motivator? Or will it sabotage my efforts in the long run?

Edited by benny

Hell yes it is. I know I use it to keep me grounded. This might be your favorite video. 

Also I'll add contemplating death

Memento Mori

It depends what game you want to play. If you want to play the game of fear(Success, money, power, sex etc.). Then yes, fear is a very good motivator.

If you want to play the game of love, it's a terrible motivator. Actually you can't play the game of love at all with fear as your motivator.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

15 hours ago, vizual said:

It depends what game you want to play. If you want to play the game of fear(Success, money, power, sex etc.). Then yes, fear is a very good motivator.

If you want to play the game of love, it's a terrible motivator. Actually you can't play the game of love at all with fear as your motivator.

That's quite vague. Could you elaborate?

11 hours ago, benny said:

That's quite vague. Could you elaborate?

In your case fear is used as a technique for consciousness. The cultural assumption around fear is "it's bad", "it's negative", and even the new assumptions that it's a limited, negative, motivator. He's referring to negative motivation but that doesn't apply here considering it's the end of your life you're looking at, as though fear can't make you conscious to "play the game of love". The paradigm of fear he's referring to is the selfishness and ego. The paradigm of fear I'm referring to is a tool for consciousness, and help you wake the fuck up to what's ACTUALLY important in your life to things like love and selflessness. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

It depends on where you are in your personal development which advice is gonna resonate with you.  I think the answer is to find your authentic self and then nurture authentic interests.   Hone those to get the bottom layers of Maslow's Pyramid handled in your life.  You do authentically want to take care of yourself, the Mind just disconnects you from this desire.  So, counter--intuitively, when you discover the no-self, which is your authentic self, you will naturally gravitate to being much more pragmatic about taking care of some of the more mundane needs of a quality, comfortable life.  But expect all of your unauthentic desires and goals to fall away.  

Watch this video:

Watch this one too: It's a good one:

Edited by Joseph Maynor