The Mind/body Relationship Struggle

Wes Thoughts
By Wes Thoughts in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God,
I still am struggling to get past the very real sense that I am so intimately attached and aware of my brain/body. How do you explain the fact that if I shoot myself in the head I will cease to have any conscious experience? Doesn't that prove that my consciousness is created in the brain? Doesn't that prove that all I perceive is directly related to this brain/body? There wouldn't be anyone here to ask these questions or type this if I was dead (aka destroyed my brain/body). The fact that you can kill yourself and cease to have any perceptions at all means that your perceptions are tied directly to this brain/body, right?  It has to at least prove there is some intimate relationship there.  How can reality (my brain/body) be an illusion when all of these perceptions are so very real? They are all I have really and they seem to be correlated very closely with my body. I am very aware of all the sensations of my body. Is it not that they are not real, but just that I don't have to identify with them? Why do I automatically perceive them then? Also, I can only feel my perceptions not yours. Why is my awareness so drawn to only my body perceptions? That gives a very real sense of me being separate from you. Anyone care to share their point of view on this?
  • 18 replies