iTommy

Enlightenment - "no Self" Vs. "ghosts" - Ego/personality After Death?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've made a similar topic in the past, yet this is one which I find difficult to wrap my mind around.

It's 2017 now, and also the paranormal field has made progess. Nowadays we have so called "ghost boxes" which is basically/usually a device which changes radio channels quickly, and the idea behind this is that the spirits can manipulate the audio and that you thereby receive answers. Below is a demonstration what this method can do.

Now, the majority will probably say. "But Tommy, this is a youtube video which can easily be faked, don't fall for this bullshit". Hold on, don't fall into the trap of dismissing it because it doesn't fit into your model of reality. I found it interesting and tried it out for myself. Well... you'd be surprised by the result, this stuff is real, very real. Once you get replies as a skeptic you kinda try to come up with things to debunk it such as it being Pareidolia, that the App and/or ghost box is rigged. Yet after you use it for some time, it becomes clear that none of these "rational" explanations apply to it. Before I write more about it why it's valid I'd suggest checking out "Huff Paranormal" on youtube, and/or try it out yourself. 

I know at this point most of you still aren't convinced, but I am still going to post my question about it, just imagine a "what if" scenario.

The ghosts/spirits/consciousness whatever one chooses to call it seem to still have a personality which at times seems very ego driven. The idea of spiritual enlightenment is that there is no self, no "you". So for me that seems to be conflicting. On one hand there apparently is no "you". You are not the brain/body/personality etc. yet on the other some sort of consciousness with a personality seemingly of its own is able to communicate. This has been on my mind for a long time. How do/can both ideas fit together? This is somewhat holding me back from realizing that there is no "me". My mind would then think that "I" might be consciousness, yet after death your body/brain shuts off, and the brain is known to create illusions all the time including an ego. Yet then those "things" that you might get answers from clearly seem still stuck in some sort of egoic loop. I am not sure what to think... 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I don't see why those ghosts should be any more less egoic than humans? They probably have their own dimension or something similar and are not that different from us. On the other hand it could be some kind of demonic entities which were created by the devil himself the ego which would make sense.

Edited by LaucherJunge

@LaucherJunge Hmm. The idea is that the ego is created by the mind/brain. So ultimately when you die the body and brain will not be there anymore, and one would think that the illusion of ego has an end there. Now some would say that the "mind"/consciousness is seperate from the brain, meaning that also if there is an afterlife that nothing really would be lost. Atleast whatever it is that might be contacting the "living" through ghost boxes etc. seems very much just like you and me yet apparently they can see/hear us etc. but well... we not so much. So that makes me wonder if there is an individual "self" some might call it energy/soul, something to call "me", or if there isn't. 

We could assume that the afterlife would not be so much different than what we experience now, yet then how do we truly know what "we" are if we continue to experience life from a different angle with the same personality/ego. It would be easier for me to grasp if there was no egoic afterlife, rather that our consiousness went to its "primary" source once the body crashed and maybe that there then was a new expierience in a different body, and a new ego that would be created.

Really tricky topic... 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj