caelanb

Why My Parents Strongly Dislike?

6 posts in this topic

Is it normal that my parents are strongly against a lot of the stuff that Leo talks about? They say he advocates falsehoods and he is the reason why the world has suffering, and the reason why I have been having trouble with my own life since I began watching his videos (mostly because I am having trouble implementing what he is saying). Is that just their beliefs, ego and thoughts getting in the way? Because they say he is intoxicating and bad however, of I look at my own family, we do fight quite a bit (they say it's normal because we're teens, but we should start caring more about each other), is this most likely due to being raised in a toxifying culture? Thank you. 

:D

Hello there!

3 minutes ago, caelanb said:

They say he advocates falsehoods and he is the reason why the world has suffering, and the reason why I have been having trouble with my own life since I began watching his videos (mostly because I am having trouble implementing what he is saying).

Wrong! What they are most likely doing creates suffering in them, not you. ;) But be aware that this journey WILL cause emotional distress and turning away from cultural norms.

Do you know why they think this way? Try to do the slightest spiritual work every day and gradually build it up from there. There are two reasons to do this, both of which have to do with the "Boling frog"   metaphor. First, but less important, your parents may not perceive that radical of a change in your behaviour. The second is that gradually building up your practice will make the process less painful, and your thinking will change slowly with it too. Don't believe your parents! Experience and embody the positive change for yourself to convince them that Leo's videos aren't bs. You don't have to start with building a meditation habit. A visualization before bed or concertation practice may kickstart your journey.

12 minutes ago, caelanb said:

Is that just their beliefs, ego and thoughts getting in the way? Because they say he is intoxicating and bad however, of I look at my own family, we do fight quite a bit (they say it's normal because we're teens, but we should start caring more about each other), is this most likely due to being raised in a toxifying culture?

I think it's their beliefs about self-improvement and spirituality that makes them thinks this way, but I would like it if you clarified your parent's thinking patterns. Society at large goes for instant gratification over serious work and contemplation.

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

The reason why your family dislike Leo is because his teachings are threatening their paradigm. They say he advocates falsehood and he is the reason why the world has suffering because they are afraid of adopting his perspective because it lies outside their comfort zone. It triggers fear.

If this is their reaction to personal development, that means they are probably not ready to hear about it. I know you want moral support from your parents and it is scary to go against their authority, but sometimes you need to do the most emotionally difficult thing. Just avoid mentioning personal development in conversations with them, but still keep doing it. Keep doing consciousness work, keep reading PD material, etc.

Not everyone will support you, that is the hard truth, but I remember Leo talked about how he never got any encouragement from his parents to start doing personal development. But look where he is at. That just proves that even if your family are not supporting you, you can still keep doing it and succeed :)

Actually there are a lot of Leo's videos that actually advocate having a great career, making lots of money, have success with girls, things like that. 

For example Leo said in his last video that he pays yearly over 100.000 dollars in taxes (!). 

Leo has also repeatedly said that some of his greatest growth has been from pick up with girls. He even mentioned this in one of his most recent videos. 

Still 80% of this forum either doesn't pick up on that, or seems to deny it.

They rather just focus on doing drugs and wishy washy stuff like chakras and all that. (Not saying that stuff is not valid, but it can easily make one ungrounded when they don't have their basic shit together.)

Think of it like this:

Level1 Personal development.

Level 2 Self-Actualization.

Level 3 Spiritual mastery.

Some things have to be done first to succeed at the more advanced stuff. (You can practice spirituality at level 1, but it's very often that people just drift off in wishy washy land that way.)

I am sure your parents will not have any issues with you doing good in school, getting a good career, making a lot of money, and bringing home a hot girlfriend. 

Leo got many videos on those topics AS WELL. I would start there. 

Edited by SFRL

This actually has nothing to do with Leo personally. It could be anyone. Anyone can hate anything for any reason, or for no reason at all. If there's something that threatens someone's ego, they will react negatively to it.

Another reason is that the ego never looks inwards. That's exactly the reason your family members fight each other and they're completely blind to that, yet they look outward and sees Leo, or maybe even you, as the source of this so-called "falsehood" that's ruining their lives. That's why they see Leo as "intoxicating" and you as simply "bad".

Also, keep in mind that the reason ego never looks inwards is because looking inwards will kill it, or at least render it powerless in controlling your lives. That's the Achilles Heel of the ego, like the self-destruct button on the back of a robot. You press it and it goes boom. That's why the ego will sacrifice everything to protect that fatal weak point.

On 9/24/2017 at 0:23 PM, Torkys said:

but I would like it if you clarified your parent's thinking patterns

I think it's just how they are taking Leo's messages. They are very practical and care a lot about how life seems to be, without realizing that it's just how life seems to be. But they do care about learning new ideas and theories in the practical world (such as what we learn in school), but I don't think they are really trying to implement anything that can change their lives into they're own lives, apart from stuff that can help with their survival and the family's (which is what I do too.)

:D