Viking

What Distincts Alan Watts From Spiritual Masters?

16 posts in this topic

I like very much the lectures of alan watts that are on youtube. I decided to look up some more stuff about him and I read that he died an alcoholic (and possibly depressed). I dont rush to judge or come up with any conclusions.

I also read he had some glimpses of Truth but I dont know about the validity of the source.

If I compare him to someone like sadhguru for example, there is an astounding spiritual difference on the outside it seems. What has caused that difference? lack of practice?

is it possible for a westerner to become someone like those masters?

what do you think was the thing that caused that apparent "sad" end of watts' life? I recognize he probably didnt see it that way, judging by his wisdom, he probably didnt fear death at all, it's just from the "normal" person perspective that his end is so different to that of a master.

They are both spiritual masters. They are both enlightened. 

Once you are aware, you're free to express being whichever way you prefer and there's no reason they should express being similarly just because they are enlightened.

Sadhguru has his way, and Alan Watts has his way. Alan Watts enjoyed drinking, so that's what he did. He wasn't trying to self preserve for the sake of self preservation, because there's no 'self' to preserve. 

There's no sad end to Alan Watt's life. He brought eastern zen philosophies to the Western world, he got to the heart of the matter. There's no where to go. He presented his message with tons of humor and practical insight. And when he felt like it, he detached. 

There's no "master direction."

Yes, Alan Watts's is special character. He has a specific way of putting things that really blows me away.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

11 minutes ago, hundreth said:

They are both spiritual masters. They are both enlightened. 

Allan Watts wasn't enlightened, most likely.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

1 minute ago, Martin123 said:

Allan Watts wasn't enlightened, most likely.

What makes you say that?

@hundreth He himself multiple times said that he's rather an entertainer. He seemed to take liking in the theory of it all, and then translate it to the western people.
It is also the way he makes gestures etc. If I had to bet, I would say no, he was not.
Then again, how would I know :-) 

You don't have to be enlightened to talk and contemplate about this.

Leo is not enlightened but he is one of the clearest speakers I know.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

1 hour ago, Martin123 said:

@hundreth He himself multiple times said that he's rather an entertainer. He seemed to take liking in the theory of it all, and then translate it to the western people.
It is also the way he makes gestures etc. If I had to bet, I would say no, he was not.
Then again, how would I know :-) 

We are all entertainers, I believe that's the great truth. The one quality that seems to be shared by all of the great masters is a sense of humor :)

@hundreth Yes after awakening it is impossible to not have some sense of humor. You realize that it is all play of form and there is nothing else then to laugh about it.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

It doesn't make sense to say that a person is enlightened or not.  Being doesn't talk, it just takes notice.  It's seems kinda silly to say that something that is illusory is enlightened or not.  Right?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

The truly Enlightened one becomes one with all things, most people have tastes of enlightenment and different ways of sharing and expressing it. Alan Watts definitely had his fair share of Enlightening moments and that in itself is Already being Enlightened like we all are, we just don't see it as clearly yet because we have forgotten our true source. If we fully see it and know it all what would be the point living here and how can we grow from it? Its all a spiral of perceptions!

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

2 hours ago, Martin123 said:

@Joseph Maynor with that logic go to Trump to teach you about enlightenment

I found out I'm not likely a dotard, but a retard maybe.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Retard is like my favourite word. I hate it when people get offended by it. Cheers to you man, you're my champion. <3 

6 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

@Joseph Maynor Retard is like my favourite word. I hate it when people get offended by it. Cheers to you man, you're my champion. <3 

I'm a bad dream that wants to become a better dream, and maybe one day a good dream.