sleeperstakes

How To Implement Meditation Into Life

9 posts in this topic

I've been meditating for about 2 years now and ive definitely seen results in terms of being able to calm myself in relaxed situations and being more aware of myself. I always forget however, to be mindful throughout the day, and although i know the thought "what does it mean to be mindful?" is a thought and not being mindful itself, often in anxious, busy settings or "fog mind" settings i always find it difficult to remember to be aware, because i forget on an experiential level how to be mindful, and whether it's being mindful or just thinking about being mindful. Any techniques for this such as walking meditation you can suggest to help me meditate all day everyday?

I use a smartphone app called MindBell which routinely makes audible chimes throughout the day based on how you program it as a reminder to engage in practice and become mindful. I have used it for a few years and find it practical and profound in its use. 

8 hours ago, sleeperstakes said:

i always find it difficult to remember to be aware, because i forget on an experiential level how to be mindful, and whether it's being mindful or just thinking about being mindful. Any techniques for this such as walking meditation you can suggest to help me meditate all day everyday?

That you forget yourself throughout the day should be a hint that there is no you in the first place. Don't train yourself to be "there" all the time. FInd out through your lack of persistence that you are fake in the first place and by that destroy the illusion. You'll end up at the same place of silence.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

11 hours ago, Nahm said:

Be breathing all the time. 

How to not do that ;)

17 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Hsinav I might be way off, but it seems like most people are thinking all the time. It was just a suggestion. Be breathing all the time. 

I see what you mean. Most people are always breathing unconsciously, but by breathing consciously you will be mindful the whole time. But that's pretty difficult to pull off. I wouldn't be able to do that for even a minute.  

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

You should definitely check out shinzen young's way of teaching. He has several methods to implement a practice in life:

One way is by "stopping on a dime", which is exactly that. At random moments in your day you just stop whatever you are doing and start doing whatever meditation practice that you like for as long as you like with the intent to make it the best 30 seconds or 3 minutes of meditation that is possible.

Another way is trigger practice. You listen to music,watch a film or something that gets you riled up and then you do your practice. The goal there being that if you first learn to do that with practice wheels and then eventually you should be able to do that outside as well.

The last general way is a challenge sequence. You got the first part down already, which is you can go deep by sitting down. The next step would be to do that with your eyes open, the one after that while standing and then walking etc. etc. 

I am personally doing a challenge sequence myself and the difference is pretty good considering that I've been only doing it since a month or so.