Viking

How Much Theory Is Needed For Self Realization?

13 posts in this topic

is just proper theory about meditation and self inquiry for example enough? or will it be slow?

i watched a bunch of leo videos and I am doing trifinity academy courses (which for the next 3 weeks is on hold because of lack of time, army stuff 24/7). Do i need to know more stuff in addition like 4 noble truths or 3 principles something blah blah blah... in order to achieve results (or faster results) ?

@Ilya

The less you know, the less time you spend constructing a conceptual self ("or ‘self-concept’ draws its meaning from the network of assumptions and theories in which it is embedded, just as all other concepts do").

This is not to say that theory is not important but that theory is not necessary for enlightenment. It's possible to get to enlightenment with a few lines of words and then just discover what those words are pointing to. It's not necessary to process 1million words to get to a point that points at that which cannot be pointed at.

1. You are a what, not a who.
  2. You are not that which you can sense with vision and hearing.
  3. Stay aware of the process in which everything comes and goes from your sight and hearing.

That's enought theory.  

It took me quite a bit of stewing in the theory, but I'm a very conceptual person, so I'm sure it was overkill.  

I have a huge stack of notes that I review from time to time containing theory and information.

My notes fill one of these totally expanded out:

https://www.amazon.com/Smead-Straight-Cut-Expansion-Redrope-73234/dp/B001L1RFOG/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1506013393&sr=8-32&keywords=expanding+folder

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I think there's two ways; learn 'everything' until your ego explodes in collapse and just surrenders from exhaustion, or don't learn anything and spend that time doing the practices. I did both and the later, in hindsight, seems more efficient. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm<3

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

@Ilya all you need is theory that leads to practice. knowing things just for knowing's sake is a waste of mental energy.

in zen we practice letting go of knowledge. i had been a knower for a long time. nowadays i am simply practice, presence and contentment.

the more you practice, the deeper Truth will install in your life. as you develop your practice, you can let go of knowledge and just live the Dhamma.

unborn Truth

You guys are beautiful. All this meaningless stuff we bring out of eathother. It really is so beautiful. Our 'ways'. So awesome. ❤️

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

7 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

It took me quite a bit of stewing in the theory, but I'm a very conceptual person, so I'm sure it was overkill.  

I have a huge stack of notes that I review from time to time containing theory and information.

My notes fill one of these totally expanded out:

https://www.amazon.com/Smead-Straight-Cut-Expansion-Redrope-73234/dp/B001L1RFOG/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1506013393&sr=8-32&keywords=expanding+folder

Ok this is kinda random but the notion of taking notes on enlightenment is ridiculously funny to me :D
Man thats amazing! Hope they serve you well.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

29 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

Ok this is kinda random but the notion of taking notes on enlightenment is ridiculously funny to me :D
Man thats amazing! Hope they serve you well.

I don't read them much anymore.  It's been a couple of weeks since I read them.  For some reason people tend to under-emphasize theory in enlightenment.  I'm still trying to understand why.  Theory is needed for non-enlightened people to become enlightened.  The level of realizing you need no more theory is a very high level.  And it's probably feigned a lot too.  Yeah, I'm Mr. Tough Guy, I don't need anymore theory; I'm better than you are.  This chest-thumping over not needing theory leaves me suspicious.  There's nothing wrong with theory per se.  It's how it's clung to that is the problem.  Look at how may videos Leo has made!  Leo realizes the utility of theory too.  I feel like I need to be a defender of theory in Enlightenment a lot.  I need to wear that hat a lot.  If you wanna become enlightened, y'aint gonna do it while merely sitting on the toilet one day, let me assure you.  It's a little bit more complicated than that.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor You most certainly dont need to be a deffender of anything my friend.
The reason I find it funny isn't because I find it bad or stupid or whatever. As I sad, I hope they serve you well.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

13 hours ago, Ilya said:

is just proper theory about meditation and self inquiry for example enough? or will it be slow?

with just this you will be very lucky if you achieve enlightenment in your life time, unless you are doing it like 5 hours a day or something.   theory can be helpful at the start and middle of the journey. in the end you will need to drop all knowledge, liberation is achieved through unknowing. this cant be worked out with the mind, the no thing you are looking for is not a sight, sound, taste, smell or a sensation, so the mind cant recognise it.

from my experience i would say the quickest way to it is the 'I am' meditation as taught by ramana maharishi and nisargadatta and to do 5meo dmt on a regular basis. like once a week

Edited by bobbyward