Socrates

High Quality Art

12 posts in this topic

Looking for some quality art like movies, tv-series or even anime.

I am trying to find some high quality non toxic entertainment and it isn't the easiest thing.

Give me your suggestions bellow, I am really interested to see what you guys watch.

Edited by Socrates

Knight and day, westworld, back to the future, rick and morty, breaking bad, better cal saul, the strain, game of thrones, the planet of the apes triology, the book theif, attack on titans, superman vs the elite dc comics, the defenders and all the previous shows they made for the same characters in it, agent of shield tv series, the mist by stephen king(the movie not the tv series) and the dark tower by stephen king(the movie)

not really sure what you mean by non toxic when it comes to entertainment but those are some pretty good tv shows/films in my opinion :)

Edited by BjarkeT

@BjarkeT By non-toxic I basically mean that the artwork is more focus on the artistic and plot side of things rather than the mainstream focus of action and death (not saying that violent artworks can't be high quality though). For example compare Matrix to Terminator, the first one is ages ahead in terms of quality and plot. Also really important to me is that the artwork plants a seed of some sort.

@Socrates It'll be subjective but in terms of anime I find something magical about studio ghibli films, like totoroooo :) 

IMG_5271.JPG

Get ready man. 

At least for me, some of these could be considered like reasons to be alive, things that  I would include if God himself asked me what are the things that have made meaningful your life; after some of those I'm just like "I'm glad and grateful to be alive, thanks" with a sincere smile on my face. So yeah, I'm almost jealous to all of you people that never saw this stuff, it's like I would like to reborn to rematched them ahahah.

"Hey but there is no absolute movie lis.." "Trust me. Really. Cinema and Animation it's my Life Purpose. If you don't love the bold stuff, you are not a human: go away reptilian; I'm literally betting my life that you would like it if you are just open and interested enough.

So yeah, enjoy :)

In bold are the really must watch. If they are not it's because it can be a question of tastes or just because they are not that worth it.

(GENERALLY they are in order: the higher the better).

Anime Movies 

- A-L-L the famous Ghibli Movies (totoro, howl, laputa, ponyo, mononoke, kaguya etc...). Miyazaki. 

- Your Name (but watch before 5cm per second) 

- Whispers of the Heart

- Tokyo Godfather 

- 5cm per second

- Garden of Words 

- Akira 

- Grave of the Fireflies 

- Perfect Blue, Paprika

- Ghost in a Shell 

- The girl who leapt thought time 

- The Boy and the Beast 

(if someone suggest you "Summer War" answer him to kill himself on the spot with the closest non-sharp object in his surrounding and -if you are really interested, watch the first 20 minutes of the Digimon Movie). 

Anime Series 

- Death Note (series)

- Berserk (just the first 1997 series)

- Neo Geneis Evangelion (series) 

- One Punch Man

- Spice & Wolf 

- Baccano! 

- Cowboy Bebop 

- Naruto & Naruto Shippuden (the beauty of it it's when you actually get emotionally attached to the characters -and w 500+ episodes you will man-). 

Animation movies 

(Lego ones; Watching discretion for mind-blowing creativity advised)   

- Batman Lego Movie (watch before the Lego movie) 

- Lego movie 

(Step motion) 

- Kubo and the Magic Strings 

- Caroline 

- I'm generally ignorant on step motion. 

3d Animation 

- Nemo 

- Inside Out 

- Wall E 

- Rango 

- Moana 

- Shrek 

- Big Hero 6 

- ...Pets (?) 

Classical Animation 

- Fantasia 1940 

- Some Disney classical (The Sword in the Stone, The Aristocats, Cinderella etc...). 

Other animation 

- The song of the sea (get those feeling ready)

Movies (oh boy let's go...) 

- Inception 

- Matrix (the series + the Antimatrix) 

- Her (maybe the most "popular" farseeing movie ever) 

- Forrest Gump 

- The Arrival 

- El Secretos de sus Ohos (with a correct spanish) 

- The Green Mile (get those felling ready; reward: empathy +100skill points)

- Life is Wonderful, by Capra 

- Moulin Rouge 

- 3 Idiots 

(ok it's too hard for selecting a true order, so don't really judge them by the order: do as when you started with leo video: watch the ones that you think interest you more; they are too different and each on amazing in his style)

- Boyhood (if you're a 96-95-94 it will be insane)  

- 2001 Space Odyssey 

- Gran Torino

- Siging in the Rain 

- Into the Wild 

- Whiplash and Lala Land 

- City of Gods 

- Ikiru, Kurosawa 

- The Carnage 

- Departed 

- Revenant 

- Full Metal Jacket 

- Woody Allen Manhattan, Annie Hall

- The Pianist

- America Beauty 

- Monty Python St Graal and Meaning of Life 

- Victor Victoria 

- Shawshank

- Pulp Fiction 

- Clockwork Orange 

- Rear Window 

- Amelie Poulain

- Amadeus 

Documentaries 

- Samsara (Documentary) 

- Baaraka

- One Life (animal documentary) 

- Microcosmos

- Inside and Outside World (spiritual documentary boyyy)

- A cool documentary on the mind that a guy post on the forum on one of my really old threads that I don't remember the name but one day I will and I will put it here. 

- The documentary of the guy that tries to walk between skyscrapers (give me reputation for the precision) 

- Jiro's dream of Sushi 

- Inside Jobs 

- Blackfish (get ready the feelings) 

- Exit thought the gift shop

- Winged Migration 

Documentary Series 

- A Space Odysseys (Science documentary Series) 

- Life (Animal documentary series) 

Movie series 

- Harry Potter (movie series) (50-50)

- Pirates of the Caribbean 

- Lord of the rings (I know, I know, wtf first pirates of Caribbean > Lord of the ring? are you on 5meo right now? the answer is: it was really hard, trust me but... it's my list, so fuck you, do your one <3) 

- Star wars 

Series (Just watched really few)

- West World 

- Lost (I didn't watch it but lots of reliable people say it's good so... yeah Lost season 1, not the rest). 

- Prison Break Season 1 (not the rest) 

Bonus ("cool" movies; again not in order): 

- The dark night 

- Unusual Suspects 

- The Prestige  

- Star wars (movie series)

- Good Fellas 

- Wolf Of Wall Strett (harder to appreciate if you're a woman) 

- Fight Club

- Trainspotting 

- U-boot 

- Master & Commander

Stand Up comedy 

- Louis Motherfucker CK. All his stand up comedy (live at the beacon theatre etc...) 

- Anthony Jeselnik: Caligula and Thoughts and Prayers.  Put your Radical Openmindness to the test. 

- Jimmy Carr last 3-4 Stand up (Funny Business, Laughing and joking etc...) 

- Early Woody Allen Stand up comedy (you can found them on yt) 

- Groucho Marx Improvisations 

- Bill Cosby Himself 

- Raw, Eddie Murphy 

- It Was something I said? Bill Collony 

- Baby Cobra 

- jim Carry Unnatural act 

- soon many others that I know I that I'm forgetting, like George Carline, some stuff of bill Burr, Ricky Gervais, Bill Hicks etc... 

Personally I would add those just because I like them a lot: 

- The Legend of the Pianist 

- Mr Nobody

- Little Manhattan 

- Chasing Amy

- Pokemon Origins (don't bother the fact that it's bold) 

Those because are some titles must be present in some kind of list (it's kinda saying best personal development gurus? You would answer Adyashanti, Spira, Watts etc... then Leo etc... but then you must mention Robbins, Oprah etc...). Some of these are kinda of intellectual (not really, just a little). So yeah, those are milestones but.... it's even just cultural stuff. Absolutely not in order.

- Casablanca 

- Shindler's list 

- 300 Coups 

- Life is Wonderful 

- one flew on the cuckoo's nest

- Bicycles Thief (int)

- Citizen Keyns 

- Blade Runner 

- Die Hard (if you're american ahahah)

- Stalker (int)

- The Shining 

- Vertigo 

-8 1/2 (int) 

- Mulholland Drive and all Lynch movies (INT INT INT INT INT)  

- Shoah

- Taxi Driver 

- Psico

- Ben Hur 

- La dolce vita

- City Lights and The big Dictator (and some other Charlie Chapline Movies) 

- Battleship Potemkin (just don't do it) 

- Apocalypse Now 

- The Godfather 

- Rear Window 

- Fanny & Alexander (int int int) 

Video games (something light, not a full triple A videogame, just something that in some kind of way can be considered high quality... I don't know man, just trust me ahah) 

- Journey 

- Abzu 

- Other vide games. 

My radically subjective favourites - if you want to know- are (for obvious personal affect reasons): Pokemon 1&2, Digimon the Movie, Samsara, Ghibli Movies, Naruto and HP.

Anyway, thanks for making me doing 4am of the morning. 

Cheers, 

Ray

PS: I kneel and ask forgiveness to my future full of memory self and to all of those people that would point to a great title that I've forgot. Sorry, Gomennasai everyone. 

Edited by Ray

@Saarah I will check it out, thanks. Looks like familiar artwork so I probably have already watched something from them.

@blazed Yeah I have seen both, they are really high quality. Westworld is dope, it gets into consciousness and AI so it is a must see, go finish it.

@MarinM I am offended, how dare you think I haven't watched that? :D

@Ray Thanks for the big list mate. I have seen some of the bold stuff and we seem to have similar taste.

Also great thing you added a stand-up comedy section to the list. 

Edited by Socrates

I like Disney movies, high quality non-toxic shit right there ? Oh yeah and the Over The Garden Wall mini series is beautiful. That one planted a seed for me. Children's shows, in my opinion, have the least amount of "impurities".

But if you are interested, the show Game of Thrones has an interesting message if you look carefully. Specifically analyzing the character of the three eyed raven. It will also make you question your own views on morality (if you are not too passive in watching it).

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

@Socrates I find the movie Collateral(2004) to be quite beautiful. Don't get discouraged by the official trailer though. This movie greatly points out our isolation, anonymity and illusionary divisiveness especially in big cities. It also lets you question what's good and what's evil and in general what's meaning...

It really is a beautiful movie.

I can also recommend the movie "Tree of Life". Makes you reflect on life..

Edited by Timotheus

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

Anime series : The garden of sinners
Movies : Personally i like Andrei Tarkowsky's movies, this video will give you a good introduction to his work
Stanley Kubrick and Hayao Miyazaki are also great. I like to focus on the directors, their worldview and philosophy.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.