MiracleMan

The Enlightened Smoker

16 posts in this topic

Student:  "How can you be enlightened and smoke cigarettes?  You clearly identify with smoking!"

Master:  "Maybe you identify with non-smoking?"

:D

I couldn't find this again, but maybe it was from Buddha at the Gas Pump with Mooji who mentioned it? I just thought it was funny, maybe it should go under the enlightenment jokes thread.

Grace

2 hours ago, MiracleMan said:

Student:  "How can you be enlightened and smoke cigarettes?  You clearly identify with smoking!"

Master:  "Maybe you identify with non-smoking?"

:D

I couldn't find this again, but maybe it was from Buddha at the Gas Pump with Mooji who mentioned it? I just thought it was funny, maybe it should go under the enlightenment jokes thread.

I know enlightened masters who will smoke a cigarette if somebody offers them one. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@MiracleMan

If you smoke cigarettes, make it a very slow process, so slow that it becomes de-automatized. Otherwise, people are not smoking cigarettes — cigarettes are smoking people! They are not conscious of what they are doing. In a very unconscious way they put their hands into their pockets, take out the packet, the cigarette and the matchbox. They are going through all these motions but they are not alert. They may be thinking a thousand and one things. In fact, when they are more unconscious they tend to smoke more. When they are more in anxiety, tension… worried, they tend to smoke more; that helps them to keep a face as if they are relaxed.

Make it a slow process. Take the cigarette packet out of your pocket as slowly as possible, as consciously as possible. Slowing down the processes is very helpful. Then hold the packet in your hand, look at it, smell it, feel its texture. Then open it very slowly, as if you have all the time in the world. Then take a cigarette out, look at the cigarette from all sides. Then put it in your mouth… wait! Then take the matchbox — again go through those same slow movements. Then start smoking so slowly… take the smoke in very slowly, let it out very slowly.

~OSHO

On 17/09/2017 at 9:21 PM, How to be wise said:

I know enlightened masters who will smoke a cigarette if somebody offers them one. 

This is the best place to be in. I am there with alcohol - I'm neither afraid of drinking some if offered nor do I feel the need to drink at all, even though I had tangled with it a lot in the past. I have this bottle of alcohol under my bed and it has stayed there for months untouched.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@MiracleMan Just because you become enlightened, it doesn't mean all your bad habits suddenly disappear.  You can be enlightened and be a drug dealer xD.  But does this mean it's good for you? Obviously not. 

That's what would likely happen if you half-ass your own self-development on the spiritual path, because you would be keeping the bad habits, rather than getting rid of them. 

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

@The Monk @Prabhaker

nothing really has a meaning; bad or good.

only the meaning you assign to it.

I would consider smoking a good habit if it stops you from contemplating suicide.

but one can consider it a bad habit if your a ten year old kid with your future ahead of you.

@The Monk is that what Leo calls a Zen Devil?

@Dodo I feel the same about alcohol. in the past it sometimes was a real struggle to stay away. I tried to quit it completely two or three times, but it was always a lot of struggle and it just felt forced. this time it is so completely different. I don't see alcohol as evil. I recognize it as to what it was for me: a distraction, numbing me down and an escape. once I chose to stop running away, the desire for it vanished. I am not afraid of it, I can imagine drinking some if someone offers it to me, but for now I just feel much better without it. 

whatever arises, love that

There are lot's of more or less "masters" who smoked: David Hawkins, Trungpa Rinpoche, Alan Watts, Nisargadatta, Siddharameshwar just to name a few.

Edited by Toby

@kuwaynej That's like saying my alcohol addiction is good for me, because I get to run away from my problem, rather than face them, to get rid of them. Sure, I'm sure your bad diet is great for you as well, because it's an emotional crutch for your problems.  

But, sure it depends on how fucked your life is.

@phoenix666 I think so.

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

18 minutes ago, The Monk said:

@kuwaynej That's like saying my alcohol addiction is good for me, because I get to run away from my problem, rather than face them, to get rid of them. Sure, I'm sure your bad diet is great for you as well, because it's an emotional crutch for your problems.  

But, sure it depends on how fucked your life is.

@phoenix666 I think so.

Yes, lets go straight towards the fears. Thats the only way to see them as illusion. 

And then sit on a park bench and listen to 

http://youtu.be/o1EkWVt2Ww8

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

1 hour ago, Dodo said:

Yes, lets go straight towards the fears. Thats the only way to see them as illusion. 

And then sit on a park bench and listen to 

http://youtu.be/o1EkWVt2Ww8

it's like jumping into cold water. it's freezing first, becomes more cozy with time. it's heaven afterwards

whatever arises, love that

Smoking is a cultural thing. 

And about the tips to smoke slowly..m if you smoke every cigarette like that you would probably smoke less and less.

@Dodo  

the point i'm trying to make is no one gives a fuck (excuse my language) just think about it morality (Whats good are or bad) has nothing to do with smoking. ..............I'm actual pretty calm :ph34r:

I smoke because i find it beneficial .... beneficial equal Good

THINK  ABOUT THIS - Who decides whats good are bad........??? You do 

Your alcohol addiction is only good if it you truly believe it is.

Bad if you truly think its bad.

How would I consider something good: If your not hampering anyone or the environment at large at carryout their natural/desired function.  And this is from a moral stand point. 

And Again if something prevents you from committing suicide personally i would consider it to be good. 

Would love to hear you response:ph34r:

:ph34r: 

3 hours ago, kuwaynej said:

@Dodo  

the point i'm trying to make is no one gives a fuck (excuse my language) just think about it morality (Whats good are or bad) has nothing to do with smoking. ..............I'm actual pretty calm :ph34r:

I smoke because i find it beneficial .... beneficial equal Good

THINK  ABOUT THIS - Who decides whats good are bad........??? You do 

Your alcohol addiction is only good if it you truly believe it is.

Bad if you truly think its bad.

How would I consider something good: If your not hampering anyone or the environment at large at carryout their natural/desired function.  And this is from a moral stand point. 

And Again if something prevents you from committing suicide personally i would consider it to be good. 

Would love to hear you response:ph34r:

:ph34r: 

I do everything consciously and unconsciously to increase the length and quality of my life. Smoking increases the quality somehow of the present moment, but sometimes you pay at later time. If one is aware there what they are doing then that is their choice and it should be respected! 

If you like smoking smoke, if you don't like stop/don't smoke