Monkey-man

I Am Going To India, To Live In Ashram. Advice?

10 posts in this topic

Hey, folks

This is something I've wanted for ages now. And I feel like time has come.

I am going to India to live in ashram and meditate. I've no idea though which one is better and not a scam?

I'm for some reason leaning towards Himalayan in Rishikesh city such as Parmarth Niketan Ashram along the Ganges river.

Or to Dharamsala, where Dalai Lama resides, although it doesn't seem many ashrams there..

Anyways, which are the best ashrams, and which area? Would you recommend go to North (Himalayans) or to other parts?

I am afraid of both too touristy hotel-like ones (such as famous Osho centre) and too authentic hardcore ones (due to their hygiene standards mostly).

I guess it should be something with taught group practices?

I feel like this forum has plenty of ppl who've visited or researched the subject.

@Monkey-man I've been feeling pulled in that direction for some time. That too is my current plan (or something similar).

My self that requires security is telling me to wait for another 2 years to clear up some financial loose ends and have a safety net. (And perhaps in that time I'll realise I never needed to go anywhere to find what I was looking for)

I'd love to hear what you discover. I have not yet done my own research into India. 

Sadhguru has an ashram in India. You could look into that, I've heard and seen a lot of good things about it.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I assume that you want to do karma yoga in a ashram, or do you want to pay for a program and join in?

I would start by just going and spending some time in rishikesh (or wherever), rent a room and explore. Go to the ashrams, go to different yoga classes and everything that you feel drawn to... its super easy to connect with people and places once you are there and easier to find what is it that you are looking for.

Also consider how much flexibility will you need to feel comfortable. Some ashrams can be a bit to strict about rules or "monastery" kinda style. If you never been in india before either you might just want to take your time to get to know the culture before. 

This is a decision that I would only make after spending some months analysing it and in India. Do your research "in loco". What works for me might not be the right place for you.. it really depents on your personal preferences and mindset.. 

Trust your intuition :)

@Monkey-man it depends on what's your objective to come to India. If it's travelling than it's ok. If its spiritual practices, then India doesn't matter, you can do it from anywhere. There are so much good resources available online now a days.

@Monkey-man Do some research before you go. This is no joke! How are you going in an ashram and not being sure if it is a scam or no. How can you say : "I have no idea" ? Your job is to do the research. 

Make sure you use a guidebook to learn the proper place for foreigners to buy train tickets, etc.  Tons of scammers on the street will try to rip you off, even people that look like they are official and have offices set up. Basically don't trust anybody you meet there, follow a guide book very carefully. 

As for finding a legit ashram, no clue other than spending time at a bunch and seeing which one had the best effect on you.

Edited by Real Eyes