Viking

Is It An Alright Way To Do Concentration Practice?

5 posts in this topic

im doing the practice with a metronome, and sometimes i imagine the ticks going on an upbeat and sometimes on a downbeat, the beats are the same but my mind makes them somewhat different and sometimes plays with it, however most of the time my concentration is on the ticking. 

is that how its supposed to be? im only managing to do 2 min for now and i doubt if to up the time if my mind plays like that with the sound. dont know if it counts or not.

I'm not sure.  

My only concern would be the fact that the object your concentrating on is not one that has a consistent stimuli.  That's something I figure is important in this work.  I usually will use the object that is the skin on the tip of my right thumb when it's not touching anything at all.  Or I'll use the breath.  Both have a consistent stimuli to focus on, even though the breath is more dynamic than the thumb, there is still always something concrete to focus on.  

This is not to say what you're doing is necessarily bad or less effective.  But it could potentially be.  

@Ilya concentration on body sensations could be a good technique... 

Concentration on emotions... 

refreshing the post, still a clear answer is needed and its important for me :)

Edited by Ilya

4 hours ago, Ilya said:

refreshing the post, still a clear answer is needed and its important for me :)

Use the 'finger touching thumb' object, because it is much more stable. Don't press it too tightly otherwise you will become aware of the pulse, which is not very stable.

Most important info: start with a time where you can focus on the object 100% of the time, not 99%. This is why people spend two years concentrating and don't reach access concentration. As Daniel Ingram put it: 10 seconds of full concentration will do you more good than 1 hour of wishy wahsy concentration. Whatever time you pick, you can't lose focus of the object for even one second. If you do, reduce your time and start again. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie